How about a shattered with a shifter would that work? or would a single class monk be better?

It looks like a real strong combo, the shifted natural weapons are quite strong and wildstrike passives seem like they will up that damage quite a bit. Combined with lightning strikes and all the wound-powered attacks you should be able to tear things up.

You won't really get to take part in the loot progression sub-game though, not sure if that is a boon or a bane in your opinion, but it's worth considering.

• Like 1

Shattered Pillar is definitely the safe option in many cases, but there's an argument to be made for taking the risks of Helwalker.

The much lower maximum Wound capacity of Shattered Pillar means you're not going to be able to achieve the full potential of Duality of Mortal Presence modals.

Which is not to say Shattered Pillar isn't good, but you ARE giving something up for the ease of use of gaining wounds from dealing damage.

Helwalker and Shattered Pillar aren't the only options. Nalpazca and standard monks can still take full advantage of duality without being incapable of staying in melee combat because of the +50% damage taken.

Helwalker basically forces you into a ranged build on higher difficulty settings. Luckily they have the potential to fill the ranged DPS role exceptionally well. Enough so that I suspect that all the top ranged DPS builds will be either single or multi class helwalker with enduring dance.

Nalzpaca seems the strongest overall, with the disadvantages of having to invest heavily in alchemy and spend your money on maintaining a supply of drugs (which may induce opportunity costs if currency is in short supply).

Shattered Pillar seems the "convenient" option that will allow you to spam abilities to your hearts content at the expense of losing half your passive benefits.

I have to wonder about the necessity of ranged for Helwalker. Would it be viable to lean on Iron Wheel and, as an example, Bear shapeshift at the start of combat to compensate for damage taken until the crowd thins enough that it's safe to assume the offensive modal and Cat form?

I have to wonder about the necessity of ranged for Helwalker. Would it be viable to lean on Iron Wheel and, as an example, Bear shapeshift at the start of combat to compensate for damage taken until the crowd thins enough that it's safe to assume the offensive modal and Cat form?

It might be, but that combo wouldn't come online until level 16, and I suspect without iron wheel the armor from bear form isn't going to be enough to reduce damage down by 50%+ to offset the increased damage taken.

Typically these games (particularly on the highest difficulty settings) are hardest at the beginning of the game, which is when this combo would be at it's most vulnerable. By the time you get to 16+ you are likely going to be steamrolling enemies with any decent build.

Combos that are reliant on abilities that you have to wait 3/4 of the game to get don't seem worth it to me, but YMMV.

Monk fist damage scales with Powerlevel. And as a single class monk u can access to upgraded version of torment reach earlier, that’s an AOE stun and u can spam it if u are shattered pillar or nalpazca. One of the top CC in early game.
Also u get Burning Wheel in mid game(late game if u multclass him), combine with lightning strike u have +80% lash, which means your damage gonna be almost doubled. Or u can pick Swift Flurry + passive that trigger extra hit on crit. All of these feels really strong. You damage will be the No.1 because u have great damage bonus from transcendent suffering, great lash and super fast attackspeed, and they are all multipled factor unlike rogue with only additive damage bonus.
In late game well u have some of the best ultimate...

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 2

I'm thinking of running a dual wielding melee mc, focusing on attack speed and crits.

Would single class shattered pillar monk be a good class for this, or would multi-class be stronger?

Level 9 monk abilities seem pretty strong

It might be, but that combo wouldn't come online until level 16, and I suspect without iron wheel the armor from bear form isn't going to be enough to reduce damage down by 50%+ to offset the increased damage taken.

Typically these games (particularly on the highest difficulty settings) are hardest at the beginning of the game, which is when this combo would be at it's most vulnerable. By the time you get to 16+ you are likely going to be steamrolling enemies with any decent build.

Combos that are reliant on abilities that you have to wait 3/4 of the game to get don't seem worth it to me, but YMMV.

Something a lot of people forget. Even in PoE Chanters and Wizard were all a bit iffy till level 9 (then became gods). Reminds of NWN when people would theorycraft Drow (level penalty) perfect DW builds that need 25 dex to work but were total garbage till then.

Edited by Maxzero

Something a lot of people forget. Even in PoE Chanters and Wizard were all a bit iffy till level 9 (then became gods). Reminds of NWN when people would theorycraft Drow (level penalty) perfect DW builds that need 25 dex to work but were total garbage till then.

It just reminds me of DnD styled games (digital and paper both) in general, which is probably where they took inspiration from in PoE's wizards. They generally were dead weight early on then became uncaring deities that leveled battlefields whenever their party managed to earn the privilege of their fickle attention. :p

Edited by Cerulean Shaman

• 1 month later...

which of these multi-class are more effective ?  helwalker/troubadour,  monk/chanter (no subclass) or monk/troubadour?  helwaker seems fragile. also, is it too bad for a monlk to use heavy armor (example:blackened armor)  + shield  and fists having low deterity (a monk tank)?  i dont think it would be too bad since fists cause as much damage as sabre and is a fast weapon. or is that incorrect and monk with low dexterity and heavy armor with shield will be innefective?

which of these multi-class are more effective ?  helwalker/troubadour,  monk/chanter (no subclass) or monk/troubadour?  helwaker seems fragile. also, is it too bad for a monlk to use heavy armor (example:blackened armor)  + shield  and fists having low deterity (a monk tank)?  i dont think it would be too bad since fists cause as much damage as sabre and is a fast weapon. or is that incorrect and monk with low dexterity and heavy armor with shield will be innefective?

There's the monk shield which adds deflection (per normal), serves as a dual-handed attack that benefits from monk fist bonuses, and can be modded to add attack bonus as well.  Very good for a monk tank.