Trickster + Which wizard sub?

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Wizard Subclass should I multiclass to?

• Conjurer
    • Enchanter
    • Transmuter
    • wtf wizard!? how about...

Common wisdom suggests the current wizard subclasses are, in no uncertain terms, completely not worth it, since you're giving up two entire schools of magic for an always-underwhelming bonus and one power level (which is just as often increased duration as increased damage/effect/whatever) on your school's spells.

Common wisdom suggests the current wizard subclasses are, in no uncertain terms, completely not worth it, since you're giving up two entire schools of magic for an always-underwhelming bonus and one power level (which is just as often increased duration as increased damage/effect/whatever) on your school's spells.

Know full well my decision isnt really ideal given the state of wizard subs right now but I plan to trugde on and try it anyway.

• Like 1

If it was me I'd go with a Trickster/Cipher - either Soul Blade for melee or Beguiler for ranged/more casting.

Tricksters big benefit is access to illusion spells that greatly increase your defenses. Wizards also have access to those and better spells so the Trickster is pretty much wasted and ends up as just a Rogue with a bad sneak attack.

I agree with the consensus that all of the wizard specializations are bad, better to always go generalist wizard.

spellblade is strong for only as long as the wizard's self buffs last. afterwards he's just a crippled rogue.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

As far as full self buffs go in BB

2 slots in tier 1 - nimble + spirit shield

2 slots in tier 2 - vital essence, bulwark against elements

1 slot in tier 3 - displaced image

1 slot in tier 4 - iron skin

1 slot in tier 5 - safeguard

it all happens in less than 2 seconds and your pools get drained almost completely

I'm sure there will be more in the full version, for the buff's duration you are very powerful and after 1 minute you're just an underpowered rogue.

As far as full self buffs go in BB

2 slots in tier 1 - nimble + spirit shield

2 slots in tier 2 - vital essence, bulwark against elements

1 slot in tier 3 - displaced image

1 slot in tier 4 - iron skin

1 slot in tier 5 - safeguard

it all happens in less than 2 seconds and your pools get drained almost completely

I'm sure there will be more in the full version, for the buff's duration you are very powerful and after 1 minute you're just an underpowered rogue.

It depends on how you define powerful. You'd rather spend pool on defending, while some might prefer to throw a few fireballs with pool.

Actually I don't get your point for using all resource on defending, you will already be pretty tanky with one cast of iron skin, and can spend the rest to kill enemies, why u over-buff yourself?

Btw I just did a pure Trickster and it is pretty powerful. Dual wielding battle axe, picking Arterial Strike + Gouging Strike + Ring the bell + Deep wounds, you can stack 5 different type of DoT to an enemy. Sneak attack damage doesn't matter that much since you mostly rely on DoT, and trickster can make u more tanky.

So just tried a Trickster/Skald last night and I liked that fairly well. Knowing I am taking a Trickster I have been accounting for its lesser version of sneak attack when thinking of combos. So far I have been setting him up to be a frontline caster which has worked well with most the wiz builds and the skald. Still will probably try some cipher mixes per Kdubya's suggestion. @dunehunter I have considered just doing a pure trickster as its kind of a multiclass in and of itself.

why u over-buff yourself?

Because I can do in less than 2 seconds?

A single fireball is 3 seconds.

I find it funny that 77.8% went with the "WTF Wizard ..... How about ..." poll answer

Haha yeah made me laugh. I get why face value their are some obvious class choices that would be better because its less effort to make them work well. Trickster/any chanter works great pretty much no matter what abilities you chose for example. Wizard subs are not in an ideal place and it matters what you pick spell wise to make it work well.