Pillars of Eternity crashes under Windows 10 consistently.

redmage123

Question

Hello,

I am attempting to play PoE from my MSI laptop.  The specs on the laptop are:

Windows 10

32 GB RAM

NVidia GTX 1070 x 2 (i.e. I have two of the GPU's installed). 

Processor: I7-6820 (8 CPU's)

I have upgraded to the latest NVidia driver as of 04/25/2018. 

The symptoms are that I play it for about a minute (This is in the opening scenes around the campfire).

The sound then glitches and stutters and the screen freezes.  After a few seconds, the system completely reboots. 

I have tried lowering the graphics quality in the game but with no success. 

I have attached the output log as well.  

Note that I ran this on another system using Windows 8.1 with a 1070 

NVidia GTX system and I never had any issues.  

output_log.txt

1 answer to this question

Sounds like an gpu overheating problem. Try limiting your framerate to 30 and disable vsync. Also lower most of the gfx settings. Most importanty shadow quality.

I use "TechPowerUp GPU-Z" to monitor my gpu temerature. You can set it to protocoll all the sensor info to a txt file. There you can see what happened before the crash occured. The txt file is saved every 2 seconds or so. My temp was around 65°C but the fan wasn't even at 50%.

You can also use your graphics card software to even lower the performance impact a little further. I made a custom game profile and disabled some features that are enabled by default, just to make sure to have the lowest performance cost to begin testing.

After a  while a was able to bring back most of the settings.

Atm I play poe deadfire with no ambient occlusion, no high quiality water, shadows, no vsync and framerate limit to 30.

I also opened my pc case to make sure there is a better airflow. Remember, it is almost summer...

You can also check your gpu fan for dust, clean it if necessary.

Manually increasing the gpu fan speed might also help (can be risky). But I recommend using the protocol test first, so you know how fast it turns at what temerature. Again, my gpu fan seemed a bit lazy, setting it to 50% helped a lot to keep the temperature below 60°C.

Edit: I am testing msi afterburner atm, this way you can adjust the whole fan curve so it overides the default auto settings.

Here is a quick tutorial how to use it:

Edited by Rulin