Even if you can respec uour devoted weapon there will likely always be enemies in an area or dungeon that have high resistance to it. If encounter design is solid, that is. So, since you cant respec mid-combat... There will likely always be enemies you will be less optimal against. Maybe not every encounter, but here and there throughout a series of encounters.

That's something I hadn't thought about. I didn't play much of the first game, so I don't know how prevalent is it to come across an enemy who's resistant to your type of weapon attack. Don't know how common of a thing it was to carry multiple types of weapons due to resistances. Even still, I'm not expecting to respec all the time, just whenever I come across a weapon that's so badass I have to give it a try. I don't want to be in a situation where I come across the god of all weapons, but have to reframe from using it cause it's not speciallised in it.

Even if you can respec uour devoted weapon there will likely always be enemies in an area or dungeon that have high resistance to it. If encounter design is solid, that is. So, since you cant respec mid-combat... There will likely always be enemies you will be less optimal against. Maybe not every encounter, but here and there throughout a series of encounters.

That's something I hadn't thought about. I didn't play much of the first game, so I don't know how prevalent is it to come across an enemy who's resistant to your type of weapon attack. Don't know how common of a thing it was to carry multiple types of weapons due to resistances. Even still, I'm not expecting to respec all the time, just whenever I come across a weapon that's so badass I have to give it a try. I don't want to be in a situation where I come across the god of all weapons, but have to reframe from using it cause it's not speciallised in it.

In the deadfire beta, there is a dungeon with about six or so different enemy types in or around said dungeon. Spiders, skeletons, animats, humanoid (kith), elemental, drakes, sand grubs (cant remember their in game name), and some i cant think of I'm sure.

Some of those have varieties within them. For instance, there are skeletons mages, knights, and archers. There are different types of elementals. The humanoids have different armors on. There are different types of spiders. Etc etc. All of these have different resistances and will be suceptible to different damage types.

So, it should be quite common that there is a good deal of enemy variety. Doesnt mean you cant respec to use a different weapon. It just means you'll be better in some fights than others regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

So, basically, a monk is literally THE best multiclass for Devoted, as you can easily pick a strong slash/pierce weapon like the GS or longsword and go to town with crushing (in more ways than one) unarmed damage. In fact, it makes most sense to go longswords, as both unarmed and longswords can benefit from the dual wield perk. Then add lightning strikes or whatever other op attack-speed-increasing-recovery-reducing stuff Monks have and I can fully see 10 dex characters wearing medium armor interrupting and critting like crazy.

Completely baffling decision. AND after we bitched about the inflexibility of no stat respec for companions, they not only skip on implementing that, but make respecs even worse than they were before. We need dem patches.

Doesn't seem baffling to me, being able to respec to avoid the Devoted penalty is an example of heavily incentivizing really tedious and unfun player behavior.

That is, going to respec before every dungeon/major fight.

Yeah I think it would be kind of silly to be able to respec your devoted choice.  But without meta weapon knowledge you probably won't be able to make an ideal devoted on your first playthrough.

I think dual damage type weapons are a pretty safe bet though.  My first pick would be dual wielding swords.  Normally I would think swords are a safe bet anyways but PoE didn't really have any swords I cared that much for, so who knows.

Well it is not rocket science.. they could write code specifically to counter that one thing, while allowing respecs for everything else. I haven't looked at 2 yet, still finishing up my Pillars run, but I'm sure that companions will have stats just as tragic as they did in the first game, and with the inability to respec those -or- all of their talents, it's looking like no PoTD run for me on the first go, as I can't bring myself to use mercs.