Hello.

I was happy to learn of the shift from Might to a more traditional strength stat, as character attributes in RPGs are a big part of the immersion fantasy for me (and mechanical balance is secondary), and I hated how my healer (in order to have strong healing) would have to be able to break down walls with his bare hands.* I enjoy when the stats on my character sheet contribute to describing the traits of a character.

Now from what I am gleaning the "Strength for physical might, Resolve for magical might" solution has reverted to "Might for all damage and healing". As I do not have access to the Beta, I was wondering what the current build looks like in this regard.

And has there been a statement regarding a final decision regarding the Might attribute from the developers?

* to be fair, the fact that a barbarian needs to be very intelligent in order to have long reach in his cleave is not much better.

Edited by iscalio

Yes, it's back to MIG and it will most likely stay this way.

Same with barb and INT.

No exceptions for the sake of "realism", what I like.

Others don't.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I kind of like the uniqueness of it all. In Eora, being a big buff adventurer means that your spells punch extra hard.

Not if they un**** the Might stat checks in dialogues. Literally all they need to do is fluff it differently, and it works better than the Strength/Resolve split.

I'd always assumed that high Might for spellcasters in Intimidate checks are basically being Darth Vader, and using the pure force of their will to pull off Force chokes. That's a simple way to reconcile it. :yes:

For intimidation that works. But lifting up rocks and bending metals bars (and the descriptive text is specific that these feats are physical) has nothing to do with intimidation.

Edited by iscalio

Yeah, those dialogue checks could have been better. But to be fair: how can the game decide how you see your character? More like the muscular dude or the mighy soul dude?

A reasonable thing would be to decouple dialogue checks from stats entirely and only use skills like Athletics and so on. 

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah, those dialogue checks could have been better. But to be fair: how can the game decide how you see your character? More like the muscular dude or the mighy soul dude?

A reasonable thing would be to decouple dialogue checks from stats entirely and only use skills like Athletics and so on. 

Well, the easy way (for the first game) would be to look at the character's class, too. If they're a Paladin, Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, Barbarian, or Monk, they used physical might. If they're a Chanter, Cipher, Druid, Priest, or Wizard, it was magic of some sort.

Easier still is just not acknowledging specifics:

With the aid of <CHARNAME>, the metal bars proved no obstacle for the party.

Well in POE2 they said they would do just that. Making attribute checks far less prevalent. i like Might. I never understood the immersion/realism argument its a game mechanic almost nothing is realistic about any of this stuff.

Edited by draego

I'd always assumed that high Might for spellcasters in Intimidate checks are basically being Darth Vader, and using the pure force of their will to pull off Force chokes. That's a simple way to reconcile it. :yes:

For intimidation that works. But lifting up rocks and bending metals bars (and the descriptive text is specific that these feats are physical) has nothing to do with intimidation.

Force Lift. Force Manipulation. :grin:

That said, agreed; the descriptive text could have been better in that regard, which is why I chose to go with my own imagination in those instances.

Maybe for immersion you have to change how you think about the stat. Perhaps in Eora physical strength affects the potency of spells. Perhaps the certain strain is put on the body when a spell is cast and the stronger one is, the greater strain they can handle, so more damage/healing.

• Like 1