"Spiritual Successor" - Modding Tool - Released!

Are melee attack/ability speeds tied to individual "PreHitDuration"s? If so there are too many of them to edit to accomplish...what I want to accomplish :p

And most values aren't round; they are like: "PreHitDuration": 0.7019876

Anyway, for now I'm gonna buff move speed to 1.7 & recovery speeds to 1/4 of default values and play combat at slowest at the slider and remove the CastSpeed mod until if/when it could effect melee attacks/abilities beside spells.

You're on the right track. I am writing a mini-guide, in another post because we don't want to crowd this one with unrelated things, on altering action speeds for attacks. Will post shortly once I have everything fleshed out.

Dude, where is your post? :) I doubled all 474 "PreHitDuration"s, still no effect on attack speed :/

Edit: Ok, nvm. Added the rest of the unedited code into the mod file, now it works.

Sorry for the derailment, AwesomeButton. Today's the big day for Spiritual Successor, hype! :D

the castspeed IDs do affect how long it takes before a character attacks. weapons correspond to the fast/avg/slow/very slow IDs.

what they DON'T affect is the actual sequence of animation from when the char draws the weapon, uses it in an attack swing or gun shot or spell casting (moving their hands whatever), and then lowering their arms back to their sides.

speeds as you already found out can be globally adjusted in characters file just control + F "Default Mover"

If I were you I would just double the numbers on the 4 speed ID's, double the recovery multiplier numbers, and HALVE the default mover numbers on run/walk. (on the default mover run/walk the higher the number the FASTER they go)

(which is why everything is happening ultra fast for you)

EDIT: What DOES affect the actual animation speeds for an "action" (attacking/spell) is DEXTERITY. You need to figure out where/which file/what values affect how DEX increases/decreases action speed. Negative DEX values DECREASE ACTION SPEED, i.e. slows them down.

To achive the natural slow down of animations/actions that you want, once you find where DEX values are, change the numbers so that DEX has a HUUUUUUUUUGE effect on action speed and then:

- go through every single creature in Characters file and change their BASE DEX to a value that will make them SLOWER.

If you do find out let me know, cos I want to double the impact INT has on durations. (Yes I know I could increase individual durations but hello, there's like 2 million of them and ****).

Edited by aweigh0101

the castspeed IDs do affect how long it takes before a character attacks. weapons correspond to the fast/avg/slow/very slow IDs.

what they DON'T affect is the actual sequence of animation from when the char draws the weapon, uses it in an attack swing or gun shot or spell casting (moving their hands whatever), and then lowering their arms back to their sides.

speeds as you already found out can be globally adjusted in characters file just control + F "Default Mover"

If I were you I would just double the numbers on the 4 speed ID's, double the recovery multiplier numbers, and HALVE the default mover numbers on run/walk. (on the default mover run/walk the higher the number the FASTER they go)

EDIT: What DOES affect the actual animation speeds for an "action" (attacking/spell) is DEXTERITY. You need to figure out where/which file/what values affect how DEX increases/decreases action speed. Negative DEX values DECREASE ACTION SPEED, i.e. slows them down.

To achive the natural slow down of animations/actions that you want, once you find where DEX values are, change the numbers so that DEX has a HUUUUUUUUUGE effect on action speed and then:

- go through every single creature in Characters file and change their BASE DEX to a value that will make them SLOWER.

If you do find out let me know, cos I want to double the impact INT has on durations. (Yes I know I could increase individual durations but hello, there's like 2 million of them and ****).

From what I have observed; I could be wrong:

CastSpeedIDs only effect spells' casting speed.

"PreHitDuration"s effect animations/melee attack speeds.

What I did now: I doubled "PreHitDuration"s(all 474 of them :p) (e.g. base 0.7 sec weapon swing, became base 1.4 sec.)

Doubled the CastSpeedIDs. Left the recovery speeds alone. And reduced combat move speed from 0.85 to 0.5.

Tested in couple of dungeons; melee/ability anims' are still way too fast for my taste(at default slider speed), I'll prolly quadruple those PreHitDurations, I'm happy with 0.5 run speed. Spells are fine but not fine compared to melee, same dex melee char can pull of 3-4 moves while a caster fires off a spell, so I don't know what I'll do with CastSpeedIDs when I quadruple PreHitDurations. They have to be directly proportional, right? Otherwise if I don't quadruple CastSpeeds I'm (theoretically) making casters way too powerful :p I don't know...

Also I have the Dexterity's value in the combat run speed mod file, it effects attack speed & recovery time -3% per dex. Maybe I should make it 1%... hmn...

Edit: Making dex 1% helped a lot but its a bit dirty workaround :p I'll try what I said above. Anyway, now its about tinkering and not about how to do it. Thanks for all da help.

Edited by Quillon
  • Like 1

What I did now: I doubled "PreHitDuration"s(all 474 of them :p) (e.g. base 0.7 sec weapon swing, became base 1.4 sec.)

Doubled the CastSpeedIDs. Left the recovery speeds alone. And reduced combat move speed from 0.85 to 0.5.

Tested in couple of dungeons; melee/ability anims' are still way too fast for my taste(at default slider speed), I'll prolly quadruple those PreHitDurations, I'm happy with 0.5 run speed. Spells are fine but not fine compared to melee, same dex melee char can pull of 3-4 moves while a caster fires off a spell, so I don't know what I'll do with CastSpeedIDs when I quadruple PreHitDurations. They have to be directly proportional, right? Otherwise if I don't quadruple CastSpeeds I'm (theoretically) making casters way too powerful :p I don't know...

Also I have the Dexterity's value in the combat run speed mod file, it effects attack speed & recovery time -3% per dex. Maybe I should make it 1%... hmn...

Edit: Making dex 1% helped a lot but its a bit dirty workaround :p I'll try what I said above. Anyway, now its about tinkering and not about how to do it. Thanks for all da help.

Alright f*** this s***. PreHitDurations have no effect what so ever. It's only changing numbers. e.g. Greatsword shows 2.8 sec attack speed(default was 0.7) but it hits as quick as ever, as well as other non-cast abilities.

Excerpt What is your expert opinion on this? :)

Edited by Quillon

Alright f*** this s***. PreHitDurations have no effect what so ever. It's only changing numbers. e.g. Greatsword shows 2.8 sec attack speed(default was 0.7) but it hits as quick as ever, as well as other non-cast abilities.

Excerpt What is your expert opinion on this? :)

I am going to make another thread for this separate issue some point soon, but some of the information I was assuming (reasonable assumptions), such as CastSpeed being applicable to all attacks is just not true. I spent about 6 hours on Saturday going through the rather lengthy series of method calls in the game assembly to get some straight answers. And have been busy unfortunately the last couple days to finish the work I started on it.

I can tell you this though, the majority of the "animation" time you see in combat is not from the actual indicated "attack time" seen on weapon items (if we are talking about full or primary attack abilities and not spellcasting), I have yet to figure out everything but I have a feeling I haven't found out the precise interaction of action speed with attacks from physical weapons as of yet.

What I can say is this: if you want to speed up attack portions of combat your best bet is to lower recovery times as this is typically the longest portion of the "wait" during attack animations. For firearms, this is reload time not recovery time that is relevant. For spellcasting the "CastSpeed" is effectively the time BEFORE casting a spell (e.g. the amount of time a wizard spends waving their arms around before the spell actually leaves their grimoire).

Because many of these animations/attack are handled in entirely different ways (though many aspects are similar) there is no easy "catchall" effect for this sort of modding. I will post back in a new thread topic when I get things fully sorted out, and have time to write a proper tutorial on editing things related to weapon attacks. It may be a few days though before I can get to that point or it may be less.

I expect I will be doing more and much more in-depth modding once POE2 v1.0.3 patch is released as there has been a specific indication that changes and improvements are coming to modding capabilities in that patch. I don't want to do a bunch of work that will either be obsolete or could have been done much easier if I don't have to and since the patch probably won't be much longer until release I am waiting for that before doing major stuff.

Edited by Excerpt
  • Like 2

Not trying to tell anyone what to do or what not to do, but imo, that whole timer idea was kinda stupid. :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Not trying to tell anyone what to do or what not to do, but imo, that whole timer idea was kinda stupid. :>

The counter was for fun, and it didn't take much time to write. I thought it's better than just a "coming soon" sign. This way people return back to the site from time to time, just to check on the timer.

My original idea was to have the animated solar system with Eora and its two moons circling around the sun. I even got a css animation for that, but in the end I decided it doesn't look all that good. :lol:

Ok, here is a screenshot, while I'm updating the server with the first release. It's happening!

You are welcome to stalk Spiritual Successor on Twitter! I plan to use it to post news on updates, and on what I'm working on regularly, until I have the time and decide to set up a development blog.
  • Like 2

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Ok, it' now available at https://spiritualsuccessor.net/ and the same link is in my signature.

I'll post basic how-tos soon, two warnings for now:

1. Don't refresh your browser tab if you have made changes which you like but you haven't exported yet through the Export Data screen. The editor doesn't remember the state of your changes, because all the gamedatabundle data is in your browser tab's memory. If you refresh the tab, you will reload the original state of that data from the server. So, export before reloading!

2. It's possible that you click on objects which are not yet editable. If you click on objects in the lists on the left side, and nothing sensible seems to be loading on the right side - there are lots of empty fields, etc - you've probably clicked on an object of a wrong type.

• Like 2

eFoHp9V.png

i hope modding can go beyond just changing numbers. but nonetheless good job

As long as we can't place objects in the game's areas, and script conversations and quests, modding will be confined to rebalancing and cosmetic changes to art. Conversation nodes can easily be edited, but there isn't much point to doing this, even if we weren't "blessed" with full VO.

However, even just modifying numbers can bring about very interesting rebalance mods. I have a lot of ideas about how to turn Deadfire into a great grognard experience, and other people will certainly have their ideas.

BTW, I also made a small UI mod for PoE: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/8

I'm looking for mods like adding voice lines like "Fus Roh Dah" for chanters, or change the spiritshifted form to the regular animal form (bear,cat,boar,etc.). Hating the weird model of the spiritshifting which looks more like werewolves. Also.. modding the 6th party characters in (however, Josh stated in some of the interviews stating this as impossible as most the UI being designed with just 5 party members instead of 6). I'm not really sure why they really discourage or intentionally disallow the 6th character in. Possibly it would be due to platform parity. As the games going to be released on multi-platform, many developers discourage mods so that the platforms do not have noticeable advantage over the others, in my opinion of course.

I personally like the 6th party character mod and i believe this will make many classic players happy. I don't see 6 characters as a balancing issue (if there's a enemy scaling mod). Also mods to change the circles to character highlights (this is already possible as characters were highlighted if they are being obstructed by buildings). I'm not sure how i would i can mod it myself but i would even go to the extend in paying for these mods if any good folks out there willing to do it.

Hello

You can do it. You must update the Assembly CSharp.dll

Look at iemod on github, patche your dll to make all class and methods public and édit PartyMemberAI (AddPartyMember method) and UIPortraitBar (awake method). You need visual studio and a little knowledge of C#.

Your game will crash un cutscene when your party is auto move to location (spawn point) (like then theater cutscene)

I have finish the game with 6 party member - but play with incremented difficulty for balance.

I think, i can post a full detailled tutorial for the parching part if someone need.

The first development update is out, and it's the beginning of a series. It tells about the little code refactoring I did and how this will help speed up development of new features.

Next post will be the first in another series - a tutorial where I'll walk you through a simple use case for the editor, and the steps to follow in order to mod something relatively simple.

eFoHp9V.png

If I want to change the PC stat boost from different race/background (i.e. Vailian +1 intellect, etc), what file should I be looking at?

Characters.gamedatabundle. Look for "Game.GameData.RaceGameData, Assembly-CSharp" within that file.

These objects are not yet editable with Spiritual Successor, but I'm working on that.

BTW, I've just released a new Development Update: https://twitter.com/sprsccr/status/1001792218557018112

Follow on twitter for news, and ask questions there, as I check it more often.

• Like 1

eFoHp9V.png

Interesting mod, I've done some basic changes myself by digging through the game files, nerfing and buffing various spells such as reducing the damage of Plague of Insects, but that's an easy thing to do since you just find the base damage and reduce it, what I want to do is a bit more complicated.

I'm playing a priest and want to buff some of their **** tier spells, such as Prayer for the Body/Spirit and Litany for the Body/Spirit. I want to change them so they each give one tier up Inspiration, so they go from Fit to Hardy for Prayer for the Body, and from Hardy to Robust for Litany for the body; the same for P/L of the Spirit. 

Looking through the ability status effects, I really have no idea what specific part of the ability references which inspiration to apply or indeed, whether that can be changed at all. The most obvious thing to me, at least for testing purposes is to just copy the details in Litany for the Body and paste it into Prayer for the Body but that seems somehow inelegant to me.

Any ideas how something like this can be done? I'm playing a priest for thematic purposes but some of their spells are so ****e. Cheers.

• Like 1

Interesting mod, I've done some basic changes myself by digging through the game files, nerfing and buffing various spells such as reducing the damage of Plague of Insects, but that's an easy thing to do since you just find the base damage and reduce it, what I want to do is a bit more complicated.

I'm playing a priest and want to buff some of their **** tier spells, such as Prayer for the Body/Spirit and Litany for the Body/Spirit. I want to change them so they each give one tier up Inspiration, so they go from Fit to Hardy for Prayer for the Body, and from Hardy to Robust for Litany for the body; the same for P/L of the Spirit. 

Looking through the ability status effects, I really have no idea what specific part of the ability references which inspiration to apply or indeed, whether that can be changed at all. The most obvious thing to me, at least for testing purposes is to just copy the details in Litany for the Body and paste it into Prayer for the Body but that seems somehow inelegant to me.

Any ideas how something like this can be done? I'm playing a priest for thematic purposes but some of their spells are so ****e. Cheers.

You can do it, at least in part, if not completely with just the editor, which is still not intuitive enough if you haven't noticed it, I guess :)

You know, I had not decided what the next How-To will be about, but I'll make it about how to do this, because I guess many people want to edit abilities.

To answer your question, you need to open the Ability "Prayer_for_the_Body" click GoTo button next to the attack, add a new Status Effect for the stronger inspiration (you may have to find its name first, because the list of status effects is huge), delete the old Status Effect for the weaker inspiration, and finally hit Save Changes on the Attack Detail view.

EDIT: Actually, you can't just do it right now. I need to make a small change to the status effects first, so that these inspirations are added to the list of selectable status effects. I'll write you back later today.

Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png

<snip>

You can do it, at least in part, if not completely with just the editor, which is still not intuitive enough if you haven't noticed it, I guess :)

You know, I had not decided what the next How-To will be about, but I'll make it about how to do this, because I guess many people want to edit abilities.

To answer your question, you need to open the Ability "Prayer_for_the_Body" click GoTo button next to the attack, add a new Status Effect for the stronger inspiration (you may have to find its name first, because the list of status effects is huge), delete the old Status Effect for the weaker inspiration, and finally hit Save Changes on the Attack Detail view.

EDIT: Actually, you can't just do it right now. I need to make a small change to the status effects first, so that these inspirations are added to the list of selectable status effects. I'll write you back later today.

Sounds good, cheers mate. Your efforts are appreciated.

• Like 1

Sounds good, cheers mate. Your efforts are appreciated.

I've made the fix, though it will still require some manual work.

1. Go to https://spiritualsuccessor.net/abilities

2. Find (Ctrl+F) "Prayer for the body" and open it

3. Scroll to its AttackID property. Click "GoTo"

4. You will find one item in the list of StatusEffectsIDs - "Prayer_for_the_Body_SE_Fit" Click "GoTo" on that one.

5. Now you've opened the status effect which was previously lacking the property you needed. But now I've updated it with a "StatusEffectsValueIDs" list. This list has only one Status Effect in it. This is the tricky part you need to understand. The Status Effect called by the successfully "attack-ed" ability "Prayer for the Body", has a list of status effects that it applies in turn. These Status Effects are listed in this property, that I've now shown for editing. Now you have two ways to proceed:

5.1. You can just change the status effect right here with a stronger one, and hit "Save Changes" for the "Prayer_for_the_Body_SE_Fit" object. You just click the dropdown, select a new Status Effect from the list, and the "Save Changes" button will become clickable.

5.2. The other option is to create your own custom status effect, and then connect it to the "Prayer_for_the_Body_SE_Fit". In this case you have to click "GoTo" on the "INS_Fit_SE_Constitution" status effect.

5.2.1 This will open "INS_Fit_SE_Constitution" in the same Detail View where you just had "Prayer_for_the_Body_SE_Fit". Now make the edits you want. You can edit anything except the ID property. This has to remain the same, because of the way in which changes to objects are saved.

5.2.2 After making the changes, hit "Save Changes".

5.2.3 Now From the Attack Detail View, click "GoTo" again on the "Prayer_for_the_Body_SE_Fit" Status Effect.

5.2.4 Make any sort of irrelevant change, so that the Save Changes button becomes available. Change some value and then change it back to the original. The important part is that you Save this object too.

5.2.5. Go to "Export Data" and hit "Export to file" to save a file with both objects.

5.2.6. Open that file, and manually change the ID of the "INS_Fit_SE_Constitution" status effect. It's enough to change one letter or number.

5.2.7. Now use the same ID in "Prayer_for_the_Body_SE_Fit"'s property called "StatusEffectsValueIDs". It's a list of IDs. You want to delete the one that's there, and replace with the ID of the one you exported.

Sorry it's still messy like that, but if I allow changing of IDs of edited objects, its saving would break right now. Due to the fact that many properties are not being exposed in the editor, the saving functionality actually merges the changed object coming from the editor, with the original object, queried from the database. If their IDs don't match, it won't be possible to preform this merge, and the data in the Export Data screen would be unusable. There are ways to circumvent this limitation, but I'll decide on how to do it at a later point.

Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png

So I was fiddling around trying to mod the upgrades to Frenzy (blood frenzy->blood storm & spirit frenzy-> Spirit Tornado) to remove the increased Rage costs (Upgrade turns it from 1->2, trying to put it back to 1), but I can't find them (or even the base Frenzy) in the Abilities section of your mod tool.  The effects are there in the attack & effects sections, but I can't change the costs in those bundles, near as I can tell.  I opened my local abilities.gamedatabundle & found them there, and seem to have modded them successfully (though in the UI the cost is listed at 2, using it only consumes 1). 

Is there some reason for this?  I know you mentioned it filters out things that shouldn't be modded, but this doesn't seem terribly different from any other ability & seems to have taken the modification properly?

I'll take a look, but that's weird because I've been modding Frenzy myself, while I was developing the first release version. The Barbarian_Bruiser was one of the Progression Tables on the first screen, and it has Frenzy in its abilities list.

eFoHp9V.png

So I was fiddling around trying to mod the upgrades to Frenzy (blood frenzy->blood storm & spirit frenzy-> Spirit Tornado) to remove the increased Rage costs (Upgrade turns it from 1->2, trying to put it back to 1), but I can't find them (or even the base Frenzy) in the Abilities section of your mod tool.  The effects are there in the attack & effects sections, but I can't change the costs in those bundles, near as I can tell.  I opened my local abilities.gamedatabundle & found them there, and seem to have modded them successfully (though in the UI the cost is listed at 2, using it only consumes 1). 

Is there some reason for this?  I know you mentioned it filters out things that shouldn't be modded, but this doesn't seem terribly different from any other ability & seems to have taken the modification properly?

I've found the reason, thankfully it's very easy to fix.

The $type property of some of the Barbarian's abilities is "Game.GameData.SpecialGenericAbilityGameData, Assembly-CSharp" instead of the usual "Game.GameData.GenericAbilityGameData, Assembly-CSharp". The reason you can easily find it through the Progression Tables Screen is because the progression table's Abilities List gets filled up by fetching objects by their IDs, whereas the Abilities screen gets all the objects in the Abilities database, and then filters them by their $type property. 

I wonder what reason did Obsidian have for this SpecialGenericAbility thing. I'll inspect the two object types and update the filtering in the Abilities screen.

Thanks a lot for finding this! :)

Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png