"Spiritual Successor" - Modding Tool - Released!

:blink:  If you mean Karkarov's post then please read again and maybe feel a bit embarrassed afterwards. ;)

I don't apologize for saying what I mean, and I don't care if other people don't like what I say.  The fact that I was the first person to like the OP is kind of ironic in this case though.

Also I think many people forget I was the guy who did all the original button reskins and most of the textures for the BG Mod of Eternity 1.  I am fully well aware of what it takes to rip the game files then repackage them, and I don't expect anyone to go through the effort of actually doing it.  Bester certainly regretted bothering for Eternity.

I have just never had any interest in modding the game to play any way other than how Obsidian intended it.

• Like 1

I just meant that you said "then don't care" and not "I don't care".

I read it like "then don't bother" instead of "I don't give a sh*t".

Apologies if I misunderstood and you actually wanted to sound rude. ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I just meant that you said "then don't care" and not "I don't care".

I read it like "then don't bother" instead of "I don't give a sh*t".

Apologies if I misunderstood and you actually wanted to sound rude. ;)

Nope, if I wanted to sound rude I wouldn't have ended the post by saying it would be a cool tool for others, or by liking the post.

• Like 3

For some time now, I've been working on a modding tool that reads Deadfire's .gamedatabundle files and allows for their easy editing, and exporting of changes. The editor's initial version is not far from being released, and I expect it will be out shortly (days, weeks) after Deadfire ships.

tenor.gif?itemid=4462557

• Like 1

i hope modding can go beyond just changing numbers. but nonetheless good job

As long as we can't place objects in the game's areas, and script conversations and quests, modding will be confined to rebalancing and cosmetic changes to art. Conversation nodes can easily be edited, but there isn't much point to doing this, even if we weren't "blessed" with full VO.

However, even just modifying numbers can bring about very interesting rebalance mods. I have a lot of ideas about how to turn Deadfire into a great grognard experience, and other people will certainly have their ideas.

BTW, I also made a small UI mod for PoE: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/8

• Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

As long as we can't place objects in the game's areas, and script conversations and quests, modding will be confined to rebalancing and cosmetic changes to art. Conversation nodes can easily be edited, but there isn't much point to doing this, even if we weren't "blessed" with full VO.

I can see a point to editing conversation nodes. If you're trying to mod in a new subclass (like the Blind Priest of Wael mod) you could add some dialogue options/reactivity. It might be rather superficial (in the sense that it wouldn't lead to new outcomes for a given conversation), but it would really improve a custom class in terms of feel.

• Like 1

I don't think it's possible to mod conversation trees. Is it?

Not by hand no.    Fans would need to develop a node-based dialog editor like Obsidian uses in-house.

The xml files are all there to see in:

/exported/design/chatter

/exported/design/conversations

Which then reference the localizations in:

/exported/localized/xxx/text

You can certainly tweak a little bit here or there, but there's a lot to keep straight if you are making any significant changes to dialog trees.

• Like 1

Node as a single node in a tree structure I believe. Can edit the node, can't change the structure (i.e. add/remove nodes or changing which are linked togheter).

Edited by Daled

i hope modding can go beyond just changing numbers. but nonetheless good job

However, even just modifying numbers can bring about very interesting rebalance mods. I have a lot of ideas about how to turn Deadfire into a great grognard experience, and other people will certainly have their ideas.

BTW, I also made a small UI mod for PoE: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/8

I'm looking for mods like adding voice lines like "Fus Roh Dah" for chanters, or change the spiritshifted form to the regular animal form (bear,cat,boar,etc.). Hating the weird model of the spiritshifting which looks more like werewolves. Also.. modding the 6th party characters in (however, Josh stated in some of the interviews stating this as impossible as most the UI being designed with just 5 party members instead of 6). I'm not really sure why they really discourage or intentionally disallow the 6th character in. Possibly it would be due to platform parity. As the games going to be released on multi-platform, many developers discourage mods so that the platforms do not have noticeable advantage over the others, in my opinion of course.

I personally like the 6th party character mod and i believe this will make many classic players happy. I don't see 6 characters as a balancing issue (if there's a enemy scaling mod). Also mods to change the circles to character highlights (this is already possible as characters were highlighted if they are being obstructed by buildings). I'm not sure how i would i can mod it myself but i would even go to the extend in paying for these mods if any good folks out there willing to do it.

Edited by Archaven

• 2 weeks later...

> The base attributes for many (if not all) companions have been hiding in plain sight for a while...

Yeah I know there is a method of altering the game files to change companion attributes*. I was just wondering if this tool did it too. I'm lazy, anything that simplifies the process is great.

Editing starting attributes is fairly trivial. From the Deadfire install dir, open the following file in your most capable text editor:

/exported/design/gamedata/bb_characters.gamedatabundle

and search for "Companion_". After they're in the party, well, that's a different story...

Anyway, yeah. It would be tremendously cool to have something streamline editing and tie together the interrelated .gamedatabundle files. Even if you aren't using it to mod, having a tool to browse all the available game objects and GUIDs would be helpful when you're playing around with the in-game console and want to juice your party with a healthy dose of Vitamin Cheat. ;)

So, i have tried this to change companion attributes annnd got my installation file corrupted... Reinstalling from scratch atm :(

Edit: probably it was because i edited the file with open office idk. Anyway i reinstalled and tried again to change attributes, but when i got xoti she had her standard attributes

Edited by malchiorita

> The base attributes for many (if not all) companions have been hiding in plain sight for a while...

Yeah I know there is a method of altering the game files to change companion attributes*. I was just wondering if this tool did it too. I'm lazy, anything that simplifies the process is great.

Editing starting attributes is fairly trivial. From the Deadfire install dir, open the following file in your most capable text editor:

and search for "Companion_". After they're in the party, well, that's a different story...

Anyway, yeah. It would be tremendously cool to have something streamline editing and tie together the interrelated .gamedatabundle files. Even if you aren't using it to mod, having a tool to browse all the available game objects and GUIDs would be helpful when you're playing around with the in-game console and want to juice your party with a healthy dose of Vitamin Cheat. ;)

So, i have tried this to change companion attributes annnd got my installation file corrupted... Reinstalling from scratch atm :(

Edit: probably it was because i edited the file with open office idk. Anyway i reinstalled and tried again to change attributes, but when i got xoti she had her standard attributes

Paging Ethics Gradient...

• Like 1

Subbing.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

tried looking through the global file for the ability/skill points per level but didn't find anything, now i'm looking through the progressiontables file, though it's a bit confusing to sort out the info.

if anyone can find where those specific sections of code are i'd very much appreciate it :)

• Like 1

6025422_EFPg_C_v1.png

For those interested, here's a modding framework for Deadfire.

It comes with a mod that lets you keep achievements after using IRoll20s.

May want to use this to maximize inter-mod compatibility :)

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So, i just realized that the changes DO apply if you make them BEFORE starting the game, not just before encountering the companion.

I left the changed stats on Xoti, created another character and when i met her she had the modified stats...

• Like 1

So, i just realized that the changes DO apply if you make them BEFORE starting the game, not just before encountering the companion.

I left the changed stats on Xoti, created another character and when i met her she had the modified stats...

Well that's perfect for me, I haven't started my game yet!

What happens if you mod this file and then the game patches?

• Like 1

You guys know you can just use console command AttributeScore Companion_Eder(Clone) Might 10 

so on and so forth, and set attributes to whatever? 

And lose achievements, sure

You can enable/disable the Achivement Flag using the Unity Console mod from the PoE2 Deadfire NEXUS site.

There is also, alternatively, a CheatEngine table available which toggles the flag as well.