I really want to play a ranger again (because I want an animal companion :)), but I got a few questions first;

1. Best ranger build in your opinion? 

2. Best abilities?

3. Armour type?

4. Do I..... (get mentally prepared for this question...seriously....) Do I......have to be....ranged? With a...ranger...? ((XD) If by any chance , I don't have to.....make sure the build you mention etc reflects that. ))

But hey, I can do ranged if it's the only way to have an animal companion lol. 

Info:

Probably gonna play on normal or on hard (hard more likely) in this playthrough. Finished one ranger playthrough on normal a year back or so.... Kinda getting tired of story mod re-plays. xD Not so fun anymore, I want to dive more into combat. :)

I'll respond to responses tomorrow. Gonna go get some sleep now. :) I'll play in the morning. 

Edit: Kinda can't sleep and want to make my character now, so if someone'd be kind enough to respond, I'd really appreciate it. ^^

Edited by Tanjaxxx

The best single target ranger is one with a wolf as pet and Persistence as main weapon, high MIG but rel. low INT, bow abilites and ranged talents (WF Peasant, Driving Flight, Twinned Arrows, Marksman, Stunning Shots...) and damage focus on the pet (Merciless + Vicious Companion, Predator's Sense, Takedown/Brutal Takedown).

Followed by a Stormcaller Ranger who has a bit more of an CC- and support aspect and can be used to lower enemies' shock DR for a storm druid for example.

Also melee ranger with Tidefall or Drawn in Spring and Shod-in-Faith boots is still not bad (see "Riptide" build for details).

Or one with a marking + coordinating weapon (Cladhaliath can be made in such a fashion): +10 ACC for the pet, +4 ACC and +25% dmg for you if you attack the same target. Those builds also work well with the flanking bonus from survival and a fitting item that also gives a bonus for flanking (Crossed Patch, Stalking Boots, Vengiatta Rugia...). A critting pet with Brutal Takedown and a ranger who not only gets crit bonuses but also up to +70% dmg bonus from flanking (coordinating+25, +30% from flanking, +15% from Apprentice's Sneak Attack) pulverize every enemy in seconds.

Silver Flash with a ranger can be pretty devastating because of the many procs of Divine Mark and the blind debuff. With Powder Burns it's pretty ouch in an AoE but watch out: friendly fire!

If Fulvano's Blunderbuss worked (I mean the charm proc - for me it doesn't) it would be an awesome weapon for a ranger as well (because of driving flight increasing the proc chance of charm).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The best single target ranger is one with a wolf as pet and Persistence as main weapon, high MIG but rel. low INT, bow abilites and ranged talents (WF Peasant, Driving Flight, Twinned Arrows, Marksman, Stunning Shots...) and damage focus on the pet (Merciless + Vicious Companion, Predator's Sense, Takedown/Brutal Takedown).

Followed by a Stormcaller Ranger who has a bit more of an CC- and support aspect and can be used to lower enemies' shock DR for a storm druid for example.

Also melee ranger with Tidefall or Drawn in Spring and Shod-in-Faith boots is still not bad (see "Riptide" build for details).

Or one with a marking + coordinating weapon (Cladhaliath can be made in such a fashion): +10 ACC for the pet, +4 ACC and +25% dmg for you if you attack the same target. Those builds also work well with the flanking bonus from survival and a fitting item that also gives a bonus for flanking (Crossed Patch, Stalking Boots, Vengiatta Rugia...). A critting pet with Brutal Takedown and a ranger who not only gets crit bonuses but also up to +70% dmg bonus from flanking (coordinating+25, +30% from flanking, +15% from Apprentice's Sneak Attack) pulverize every enemy in seconds.

Silver Flash with a ranger can be pretty devastating because of the many procs of Divine Mark and the blind debuff. With Powder Burns it's pretty ouch in an AoE but watch out: friendly fire!

If Fulvano's Blunderbuss worked (I mean the charm proc - for me it doesn't) it would be an awesome weapon for a ranger as well (because of driving flight increasing the proc chance of charm).

That was really detailed, thank you! :D I think I know how to do my ranger now. ^^