Sense of entitlement is really strong these days.

This company went from dealing with retrenchment, to being on the verge of bankruptcy, to raising enough money for their first IP on kickstarter.

It's not some devil publisher out to suck your money.

You may not like that their are working on DLCs instead of fixing bugs. But guess what, if the DLCs are part of stretch goals, then they are also an obligation because people already paid money for it.

It sucks that we can't play the game the way we want it to on launch, but this is a far cry from something like Mass Effect Andromeda or Star Wars Battlefront.

Obsidian ****s up constantly because their owners, Feargus & CO, are pretty much **** towards their whole dev team. I've been reading on whats been going on in that company and it's obvious that it's the high-ups that are responsible for the company's poor performance when it comes to quality. That's where your money is going, the guys who piss on the artists and their work. And yeah, things may not be as bad as they are at EA, but things are obviously not good either, and things are obviously declining as the company drives away their most talented people and pretty much keep the ones who still work there in house by threats. That's the impression I've gotten from what I have read anyway.

• Like 2

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

PoE2 is a complete game. You are not entitled to any optional content they make after release, apart from bugfixes. On the contrary, releasing expansions is a very understandable strategy to keep making sales and support the business (and to support the support) behind the game. Devs gotta eat.

If you think you can manage to play through the game only and exactly once then that's your problem. You got what you paid for already, so stop complaining.

You're entitlement to say I'm entitled to say something that we all know is true, is at the very least unsettling and a perfect example of what I mean about a community who has a deluded and white knight mindset.

I'll spell it out to you in simpler way, when you buy a game like say: Horizon: Zero Dawn or The Witcher 3, you have two versions... The "Standard Edition" and the "Complete Edition" so please stop babbling in your ignorance. The "Complete" editions include that "optional" dlc. Any game dev, including Obsidian will tell you if you want the complete/full experience, to buy the dlc as well. So stop complaining about complainers who aren't really complaining but saying something you don't like or can't understand.

What you really mean to say is "You have a choice to see a game as complete even though it's not, because the game has a proper ending or legnth" Alas, I think I've proven my point.

So what you say is that Deadfire shouldn’t be completed?

1) Self contained, full of content game isn’t a complete game, because more content is to be had.

2) DLC make the game complete. Because that’s on the label. Just like GOTY edition. Everyone knows “Game of the Year” in an accurate and true label.

3) but Obsidian shouldnt release DLCs. Because...?

Sometimes the amount of stupid is overwhelming.

• Like 1

PoE2 is a complete game. You are not entitled to any optional content they make after release, apart from bugfixes. On the contrary, releasing expansions is a very understandable strategy to keep making sales and support the business (and to support the support) behind the game. Devs gotta eat.

If you think you can manage to play through the game only and exactly once then that's your problem. You got what you paid for already, so stop complaining.

You're entitlement to say I'm entitled to say something that we all know is true, is at the very least unsettling and a perfect example of what I mean about a community who has a deluded and white knight mindset.

I'll spell it out to you in simpler way, when you buy a game like say: Horizon: Zero Dawn or The Witcher 3, you have two versions... The "Standard Edition" and the "Complete Edition" so please stop babbling in your ignorance. The "Complete" editions include that "optional" dlc. Any game dev, including Obsidian will tell you if you want the complete/full experience, to buy the dlc as well. So stop complaining about complainers who aren't really complaining but saying something you don't like or can't understand.

What you really mean to say is "You have a choice to see a game as complete even though it's not, because the game has a proper ending or legnth" Alas, I think I've proven my point.

1) Self contained, full of content game isn’t a complete game, because more content is to be had.

2) DLC make the game complete. Because that’s on the label. Just like GOTY edition. Everyone knows “Game of the Year” in an accurate and true label.

Well, never once did I complain about the game having 3 dlc's, in fact my pledge was $65 (meaning $45 for the base game and $20 for the dlc) so if anything I already accepted and supported the fact that the dlc's were planned, this is not new knowledge for me. So that alone kills the argument of trying to make me look like some kind of dlc hater.

My preference, was somehow turned into a complaint by members but I think that is because some members viewed it as an attack to Obsidian's dlc ideals. I simply said I prefer pointless cosmetic dlc's over story dlc's. In Deadfire's unique situation, I think we could all agree that since PoE1 main quest was longer, Deadfire could use all the help it can get.

People's point of "Deadfire had dlc planned way ahead of the game so the game isn't incomplete" is actually a bit contradictive since intelligent people will catch this and say "Hey! If this was planned way ahead of the game being released...." so maybe we know why Deadfire was a shorter game after all. Maybe they planned for the dlc to adjust and make up for that missing legnth. Pillars had 2 dlc, Deadfire has 3. I reckon this al makes sense.

My second point which somehow got twisted was when I recommended a person to wait until a sale wasn't a negative thing either. Judging by the game's current state, it's just a wise thing to do. Most games I buy I wait til they are on sale anyway.

But I agree, yes, the sheer amount of stupidity and ignorance on the forums is indeed overwhelming.

• Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The DLCs are additional content that is not connected to the main story. So yes, the game as is, is complete. It tells the story it was made to tell.

Well, never once did I complain about the game having 3 dlc's, in fact my pledge was $65 (meaning $45 for the base game and $20 for the dlc) so if anything I already accepted and supported the fact that the dlc's were planned, this is not new knowledge for me. So that alone kills the argument of trying to make me look like some kind of dlc hater.

Ah my mistake. I took the argument that game isn’t complete without DLC for defence of OP, which was upset that Obsidian released “incomplete game”.

Unfortunately I don’t think the critical path will be extended - the description of DLCs suggest even more distractions added to the main game. However, some teases of wizard’s interests in the main game suggest that they might shed some light on metaphysics of the world.

• Like 1

Number 24 for a pre-financed, crowdfunded RPG with a budget of 4 million is good - great even. It was number 1 right after release.

Remember that publishers didn't want to develop those "old school" games because there's no market for it (or so they said).

If the development consts weren't higher than those 4 million the game can't flop even with zero additional sales on steam. It can only disappoint.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Firstly humans make mistakes.

Most importantly obsidian do bring out games need bug fixing same as any other company. Even microsoft have bugs in there operating system win on every release. 

Think about it multiple operating system and game systems to build for. 1 person has i5 with gtx 960 and someone else i7 with gtx 1080 not including memory used and amount, motherboards etc no way test every type of configuration and make item perfectly bug free. 

Gmaes have to be released to gain money. Without money company go under.

POE 1 is great to play after it got sorted, my only issue with it is white marsh needs be played mid game to unlock soulbound stuff and that makes end game to easy as it kills level progression, mind you end of games in rpg's are normally easy anyway as party often op by then. Completed it 3 times so had my moneys worth out that game love the game.

POE 2 played it had only couple minor bugs, nothing game breaking. Yes combat needs fixing and balancing and needs bug fixes. I not played to much game as will save it till lot issues sorted, not issue to me. 

As for add on I like DLCs as long not like most where cash grab. 3 dlcs for $20 dollars is good price. I know there not going be size of white marsh as think most wanted smaller dlcs, that been said hope maybe will get one white marsh size dlc but thats my want like and I be happy with what we get as long as its enjoyable and adds well to game.

My issues with game and this my own point view. For me liked combat way it was in POE 1 but I am minority. Personally I like see option at beginning of game lets you choose combat similar to POE 1 or as is currently in POE 2. Second issue is miss having dungeon crawls, I would of enjoyed having endless path style dungeon but with less filler combat more thought out. Would be nice have few other dungeon crawls to balance out game bit. By dungeon don't mean underground only, could do dungeon that's tower or massive woods etc.

So as can see I am not champion of obsidian most not but that been said I think they do wonderful job and are one better game companies. I don't agree with everything they do.

Sometimes obsidian not responsible for issues they had complaints about good example KOTOR 2 which obsidian wanted bring out late but not allowed and wanted bug fix add content after release but were stopped so can't blame obsidian for everything.

Tyranny had its issues still not like short end part but game had its bug fixes got some add on content, now is great game  and I completed it many times and hope in future for tyranny 2

I imagine they be few things in POE 2 even after finished fully I wish were different but I am me and am not more important then anyone else. I know it be great game I play it many times and will enjoy. I sure it will have things I dislike and wish were different but nothing ever perfect. I do hope there will be POE 3 and hope it will be best of POE 1 and POE 2 with new ideas to.

I really don't get why some are so negative towards obsidian and make such issues out of the few bugs and problems. Obsidian replied both bugs I found and were very polite and professional.  I glad see they work with community and take feed back and listen which lot companies not doing. I like they don't want microtransaction money grabbing things lot are doing.

Obsidian ****s up constantly because their owners, Feargus & CO, are pretty much **** towards their whole dev team. I've been reading on whats been going on in that company and it's obvious that it's the high-ups that are responsible for the company's poor performance when it comes to quality. That's where your money is going, the guys who piss on the artists and their work. And yeah, things may not be as bad as they are at EA, but things are obviously not good either, and things are obviously declining as the company drives away their most talented people and pretty much keep the ones who still work there in house by threats. That's the impression I've gotten from what I have read anyway.

And where did you read that?

• Like 1

Number 24 for a pre-financed, crowdfunded RPG with a budget of 4 million is good - great even. It was number 1 right after release.

Sorry but if Deadfire doesn't outsell Plunkbat long term its a flop. So sayeth the wise benthhomas8834.

And where did you read that?

I suspect on the Chris Avellone thread.

Edited by JerekKruger

That's not really an objective source I'd say.

If an employee like Josh Sawyer can go to to a conference and speak about the need ot a game developer's union with the support of his bosses I think it can't be so bad at Obsidian. Maybe the owners are no business geniuses - but I doubt they are *** or **** or even *****. ;)

• Like 5