DLC was part of the fig campaign, the last game also had dlc.

So it's actually good that they are releasing it soon and giving us details on what it will be. I was hoping for something meatier than the three dlc's sound, something like the white march or an actual proper expansion but they never said that this would be all the dlc ever released so who knows maybe we'll get an expansion after all.

Either way I am pleased there will be post launch content. Sorry about you wanting to play it all at once but it's pretty normal to have to wait for a complete edition of a game to do that, I am not saying that is a good thing but it isn't an inherently bad thing either. They were very upfront about the fact that there would be dlc, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Seems like you are implying that because they are releasing it so soon it must be like ripped from the main game or should just have been part of the main game. I can see that perspective but non of it sounds like it has much to do with the main plot. It will have been budgeted and planned for but they didn't know what form it would take when they pitched it which means they hadn't started working on it yet then.

Edited by Mikeymoonshine
  • Like 2

There are THREE DLC's being released in the next 6 months... wtf Obsidian? I don't know why, but I expected better than this. Just make a complete game and release it in November instead of releasing it in chunks between May and November.

Several reasons, marketing, timing, but mostly: while I'm sure they wish they could take all the time they want, developers generally don't have unlimited funds, so at a certain point they must release the game to get money and pay wages. 

• Like 3

I've come to burn your kingdom down

You would think to say I am obsessed with anything to do with pirates, and anything to do with story and character driven RPG's, that I would have bought this by now, however...

There are THREE DLC's being released in the next 6 months... wtf Obsidian? I don't know why, but I expected better than this. Just make a complete game and release it in November instead of releasing it in chunks between May and November.

As I likely will only be able to spare enough time to play through this once, releasing it in chunks is just making me not want to buy it until it's all out so I can do everything in one go.

Just finish the whole thing and charge more for it. Can you at least tell me if I can play JUST the DLC's that are being released without having to go through the whole game again or whether they'll be integrated into the main story?

Yeah I have to admit my heart sank when I heard there were dlcs planned. It stopped me from doing a large cost backing of the game. I get that the dlc isn’t technically part of the game... but if that’s the case then we only have the first game to go on as an example, and that dlc WAS clearly intended to be played mid game. It was not an expansion. It’s really frustrated me that I had to either deal with buggy level adjustments rather than having it either completely built into a level appropriate section of the quest chain, or made into a legitimate expansion in one large chunk as a post game story.

After a decade of bioware shenanigans, I’m simply out of patience for nickel and diming with incremental half made dlc. I’d rather buy a fully completed game and then a fully fleshed out and complete post game expansion pack. Sick to death of being charged premium prices for unfinished and unbetaed products. I’m very dissalusioned with the unfinished buggy nature of Deadfire so far. Hoped for better...

• Like 1

While I'm doubtful myself about releasing 3 DLC by the end of the year, the fact that these were planned during the fig phase of Eternity 2 does mean Obs' has probably been preparing and working on them for quite a while. I doubt they'll be "full" expansions in the vein of the Witcher or old school Bioware, but if sales are good enough we might just still get one of those down the line, and Obsidian's never disappointed with their DLC before, whether small or big.

Though this time i'll hold off on playing until a few months post-release, before i get infected with Buggy-Launch Syndrome and forget about past decisions whenever i wake up :thumbsup:

The DLC are also "new" areas being added to the game. The story is complete.

It's not like a Chapter 1-17 with a cliffhanger that requires the DLC(Chapter 18-20) to finish the story.

• Like 3

Game is complete. Dlc is for those of us who want new adventures when we return to the game.

Some of us do return to the game you know.

Don't want new adventures and new stories? That's ok too. Play it, uninstall and move onto the next game if you prefer.

You can also wait until all DLC is released and get the Obsidian edition then assuming you want all the extra's.

Edited by Eelectrica
  • Like 1

I don't care that there's DLC coming. My only problem is when the DLC is mid-game stuff. I much prefer post-game content DLC. That way I can just load up my last save and go do the new stuff.

When you know there's mid-game stuff coming, you might not want to play through the game yet, to avoid having to do it all over just to see the DLC.

I played through PoE1 again with all the DLC stuff, because I wanted to get my perfect save set up. Honestly if not for that, I wouldn't have bothered playing through again because I'd seen the story, and enjoyed it the first time. Going through again just felt more like a chore, doing the exact same stuff over again.

• Like 3

So it's actually good that they are releasing it soon and giving us details on what it will be. I was hoping for something meatier than the three dlc's sound, something like the white march or an actual proper expansion but they never said that this would be all the dlc ever released so who knows maybe we'll get an expansion after all.

Either way I am pleased there will be post launch content. Sorry about you wanting to play it all at once but it's pretty normal to have to wait for a complete edition of a game to do that, I am not saying that is a good thing but it isn't an inherently bad thing either. They were very upfront about the fact that there would be dlc, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Seems like you are implying that because they are releasing it so soon it must be like ripped from the main game or should just have been part of the main game. I can see that perspective but non of it sounds like it has much to do with the main plot. It will have been budgeted and planned for but they didn't know what form it would take when they pitched it which means they hadn't started working on it yet then.

If they aren't full blown expansions, would you have a time frame on when the expansions would come?

They had a survey focused on DLC. How many, what size, how often, what type, “season pass.” I am guessing they did not do the survey just to ignore it, and this is what many fans want.

Edited by PugPug

If they aren't full blown expansions, would you have a time frame on when the expansions would come?

I think the three DLCs are it, and even if they aren't, they are all we know of.

Word from the wise:

This game is good but you should wait for a major sale wherethou one could get the gaame with dlc fo a total of that which the game is now ($49.99) I say this as a backer who got the dlc pass and the base game for $65. Nobody should have to pay more just because they didn't back the game, especially when it's released (like this).

That said, the game is good. Very good, just not all that "worth it" good.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Obsidian is a small studio who needs to make money continuously to keep its doors open. They can't just wait another 6 months to release their game. We all want as much content at release as possible, but the way they are handling this release is both understandable and reasonable. We should be grateful, that they will provide long lasting post release content, patches, free DLCs, and player communication. On top of that, there's no shady business with lottery systems or micro transactions. 

That said, I would wait for the DLCS to come out, if I only had time for one run. As mentioned above, it should make no difference to you anyways. You just get the game at November, and be happy, that there's been 6 months of bug fixes and balancing, that should make your experience better. :)

I don't get how all the efford and passion Obsidian provide is so offending to some people who paid 40 bucks for 100 hours of entertainment. :S

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 3

Just make a complete game and release it in November instead of releasing it in chunks between May and November.

First, game IS completed, it's already bigger and better than poe1. Second, release game in Autumn with Red Dead Redemption 2 and other phat AAA games is financial suicide for small company.
  • Like 5

If you wait for all the DLC, they've probably fixed all the bugs, balanced the game, made harder difficulties more difficult and just made it more enjoyable to play. It's probably also gonna be cheaper from a sale, even with the DLC. So I don't really see the big issue here. I knew that there were gonna be bugs, but I couldn't invoke enough willpower to keep me from playing it anyway. :) But as with Pillars 1, this will endure multiple playthroughs easily, so it's not a problem for me either.

I don't really care cause I have a large amount of filthy, filthy disposable income.

Can I make this my signature? This is the most meme worthy internet comment I've read all year, it makes me smile just looking at it :)
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

They offered the base game and the season pass for about the price of the game itself during the Fig campaign. If you had previously backed POE 1 they even gave a discount.

> If you had previously backed POE 1 they even gave a discount.

How much is the season pass with that discount?

The season pass was $20 during the FIG campaign.

The discount was $5

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...