Let's not imply cutting content is a way to create "to be sold later DLC content." Let's not wax-concerns over some none-existent dubious nature of Obsidian's development.

I agree but who here was implying that it was cut-content to begin with? There's no evidence to imply or conclude such a thing when it could easily be so or not?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Let's not imply cutting content is a way to create "to be sold later DLC content." Let's not wax-concerns over some none-existent dubious nature of Obsidian's development.

I agree but who here was implying that it was cut-content to begin with? There's no evidence to imply or conclude such a thing when it could easily be so or not?

The OP?

Edited by Alot

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

Oh... I see. I see.

These old eyes, are much tired these days hehe

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Really? xD When I didn't do WM DLC's and played on story mod, I'm pretty sure I finished the whole game (main quest + side) in about 3 days lol. xD 

I get it was *meant* to be *kinda* long, but no game is really long when you're just doing it until you finish it - more or less-...no sleep for the Watcher?? No, honestly, in one of my playthroughs, I LITERALLY couldn't sleep until it was done. Then when I saw the editing rolling 'your eyes shut and you were finally able to sleep' or something THEN, then I could rest. xD In peace. ^^ xDDD 

I was being a bit hyperbolic but I seriously doubt anybody had a problem with PoE being too short.

But I am a completionist plus I do not have much time to play games so it does literally take me months to play through games that I would have finished in a week or two back in the old times. I anticipate to be playing PoE II for awhile.

Just to be clear. None of these DLCs were cut storylines that we are adding back in.

A small number of area assets were unused from the base game, but most are new to the DLCs.

EDIT: Also, Deadfire is enormous. Like, seriously huge. You don't have to worry about the game feeling incomplete or underwhelming in that regard.

I'll talk more about how the DLCs fit into the base game in the coming weeks after Deadfire ships.

• Like 41

Just to be clear. None of these DLCs were cut storylines that we are adding back in.

A small number of area assets were unused from the base game, but most are new to the DLCs.

EDIT: Also, Deadfire is enormous. Like, seriously huge. You don't have to worry about the game feeling incomplete or underwhelming in that regard.

I'll talk more about how the DLCs fit into the base game in the coming weeks after Deadfire ships.

thanks for clearing that up greatly appreciated

quick question though , can you reach level 20 in the base game of deadfire without the expansions or is that the level cap with the 3 expansions included?

thanks

Yeah no. Some aspects of game development are finished earlier than others, so the people working on those aspects can start working on DLC before the game is released. This doesn't mean the DLC is cut content.

As for them being a revenue raising tool: of course they are. Obsidian is a business, they both want and need to raise revenue.

Quoted for truth, and then some.

Josh just said on today's stream if you actually play all the side content you can in Deadfire, it is notably longer than Eternity 1.  So it is probably already equal to Eternity and at least White March Part 1 with just the base game.

The only news that left me a bit irked was the crit path is apparently slightly shorter than Eternity 1 crit path.

****ing hell. DLC largely exists because you need to make content freezes in order to establish the project's scope. A ton of potential content is devised during pre-planning, content that looks to be increasingly un-viable is cut as the project advances.

Josh Recently had a great discussion about crunch and over-time and how you can actually loose productivity from Crunching. So to avoid those scenarios you need to establish a realistic scope of the project and design the project in a way where you can cut away content in order to salvage the major and most important parts of a project.

Once the artists and designers are done with the main-game and the game is moving into it's final development and testing stages. They can then jump back into the production pipeline on either new content (so they aren't idle) or pickup where they left off on cut content (once again, to not be idle.) That content will never be ready for the final game, but it was selectively cut because it was some form of side-content.

Obsidian also knew in advance that they we're making DLC for this game, so it's no surprise that they might over-plan side content, with the the anticipation that some of it would be cut and would be reworked into sizable meaty chunks of content that could come out later. At least this way whatever future content that they come out with, it's gone through a degree of work and refinement during the largest pre-planning stages. Just as all world builders should do, you design more than you write about.

Hmmm this is a good post about how game development actually works BUT have you considered that I have nebulously defined tummyfeels of outrage that must be heard

The tummyfeels Mason!

• Like 2

The only news that left me a bit irked was the crit path is apparently slightly shorter than Eternity 1 crit path.

Shout out to all the people who complained about pacing.

Good news is that there’s a lot of optional content to sink our teeth into.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Can't believe some of you mindless drones are defending these retarded tiny DLC monstrosities. 

Why not just combine the DLC's into 1 BIG expansion.. Instead of milking customers via 
"season passes" and multiple DLC releases. It's pretty disgusting and I honestly expected more from obsidian. Very disappointed.

• Like 1

Back in the day when we got an expansion, it was like getting another game, with tons of content, updates to the graphics, new charactesr new locations.

White M Arch was done very well with a completely new area. The Witcher series did an incredible job with BLOOD and WINE and hearts of stone. The amount of content in each of these expansions were amazing.

DLC just puts a sour taste in my mouth especially comming from a kickstarter cRPG which was designed to appeal to older players and nostalgia of Baldurs gate ice wind dale and planescape. 

Hopefully I AM PROVEN WRONG!

Edited by Tharanga1
  • Like 1

yeah i agree these three expansions are not your traditional expansions

you nailed it on the head. Expansions use to come out a significant time after a game had been released and they generally had a lot of content.

Deadfire is basicaly releasing in four waves and you gotta pay each time

Hence what i was talking about in my OP

Tim

Back in the day when we got an expansion, it was like getting another game, with tons of content, updates to the graphics, new charactesr new locations.

White M Arch was done very well with a completely new area. The Witcher series did an incredible job with BLOOD and WINE and hearts of stone. The amount of content in each of these expansions were amazing.

DLC just puts a sour taste in my mouth especially comming from a kickstarter cRPG which was designed to appeal to older players and nostalgia of Baldurs gate ice wind dale and planescape. 

Time's have changed mush.

You have to move on.

• Like 1

nowt

The complete game of Deadfire is realeased on May 8th and you pay once, not thrice.

If you want some additional stuff you buy the (rel. cheap) DLCs or back them. If you don't want to - also fine. You'll still have a complete game that you can play and that you backed or bought.

All that "everything was better in the old days" talk aboit DLCs/Expansions without actual data or experience is moot.

If you think the DLCs are crappy and overpriced after they came out and had a chance to be inspected: hand me an admitting form for the Club of Repelled and P*ssed-off Gentlemen.

Until then it's just baseless ranting and speculating.

• Like 8

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Other point of view:

All what matters what is "the value" of base game.

And how much "value" each expansion brings

As long as they are above "what is in other games" or some other abstract measure, it could be that way.

OE is probably aware that chopping away story critical part to DLC would create bad PR.

On positive side, this time the release shedule is tighter, so sooner you can play absolute complete deadfire.

Can't believe some of you mindless drones are defending these retarded tiny DLC monstrosities.

Come on, man. You don't have to agree with anyone, but why resort to insults?

I refuse to believe you can't thoughtfully and respectably lay out your points.

• Like 3

But White March and Heart of Stone were very much DLC...
  • Like 1