Im all for supporting games like deadfire so they are profitable to ensure they are continually made but three expansions? im a but suss on that

really they have just chopped the main game up and split it into 4 different sales (the main game and the three expanions)

i m praying the main game is big enough to enjoy without the expansions

I dont view these expansions as expansions really i view them as a revenue raising tool that has split up the game

• Like 1

they have just chopped the main game up and split it into 4 different sales (the main game and the three expanions)

And I guess in the case of PoE1 you think "they have just chopped the main game up and split it into 3 different sales (the main game and the two expansions)". Do you always view expansions as pieces of the main game that have been cut off, or do you have some arbitrary reason as to why you think this is the case with Deadfire?

Edited by Alot
  • Like 19

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

Yeah, three DLCs, really. I mean what were they thinking?

The main game will be supershort now I guess. Even shorter than the beta? It may start at lvl 1 and stop at lvl 2. Or it may even have negative duration. Like it's literally over before you even load it up. Don't ask be about the physics but I think that's how it's gonna be. Most likely you need to buy the DLCs to level up further. Every DLC for another 6 levels so you can reach lvl 20 at the end of the last DLC.

That's some revenue raising, whoooheeee! Whooooheeeee I say!

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 39

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah no. Some aspects of game development are finished earlier than others, so the people working on those aspects can start working on DLC before the game is released. This doesn't mean the DLC is cut content.

As for them being a revenue raising tool: of course they are. Obsidian is a business, they both want and need to raise revenue.

• Like 24

Yeah no. Some aspects of game development are finished earlier than others, so the people working on those aspects can start working on DLC before the game is released. This doesn't mean the DLC is cut content.

As for them being a revenue raising tool: of course they are. Obsidian is a business, they both want and need to raise revenue.

Not buying the latter to its logical conclusion. Yes, they want to create revenue, but taken to its extreme you get the most malignant practices of EA and Ubisoft with day 1 DLC, "pay to excel" and paywalls. One of the reasons people stick with Obsidian is that they have held themselves to a higher... I don't want to say "moral standard", but that is what it boils down to.

That all said, the fact that they're not day 1 DLC means that I'm not that upset. As you note, content (as in areas and story) largely stops before other facets of game development, so quick-release DLC do not mean that content in the game itself was cut short.

Edited by Yenkaz
  • Like 1

The main game will be supershort now I guess. Even shorter than the beta? It may start at lvl 1 and stop at lvl 2. Or it may even have negative duration. Like it's literally over before you even load it up. Don't ask be about the physics but I think that's how it's gonna be. Most likely you need to buy the DLCs to level up further. Every DLC for another 6 levels so you can reach lvl 20 at the end of the last DLC.

It will sooo short. I bet Boeroer can't even get 4000 hours out of it!

• Like 15

Im all for supporting games like deadfire so they are profitable to ensure they are continually made but three expansions? im a but suss on that

really they have just chopped the main game up and split it into 4 different sales (the main game and the three expanions)

I dont view these expansions as expansions really i view them as a revenue raising tool that has split up the game

Obsidian isn't EA last time I checked......Never have I played their main game, and felt it was unfinished before....

And even in PoE 1. WM DLC's were completely separate from the main game. 

• Like 2

It will sooo short. I bet Boeroer can't even get 4000 hours out of it!

Lmao. I really do hope Deadfire will be longer then PoE (And think it will, it's what Obsidian promised right?? - "It will be much bigger then the first game" they said, or something similar. :))

• Like 1

The main game in Pillars of eternity one was incredibly lacking before the expansions, for example the second city was an absolute joke

but history does not lie 

I have lives...more then you! Probably. I have been a Dragon Born, a Warden and a mothaf**** REINCARNATION OF AN ELVEN GOD HIMSELF ! ...Beat that, loser. ;P (Kidding. xD Seriously though, you're kinda being a sore.....something, when you make such comments when people don't agree with you. :))

Edited by Amentep
Edited quote for consistancy
  • Like 1

What's even worse is that, prior to Deadfire, there was a game called Pillars of Eternity. It's the same setting and same main character and everything. Basically they chopped up one big game in two, just for profit.

We could have had one super cool game. Now we have to fork up major bucks for two game, for the sole reason that Faergus Urquhart needs money to fund his fourth Porsche.

• Like 14

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Fig crowdfunding > “Why can’t we preorder season pass! We all know you will do expansions, so let us buy something worthwhile!” > Early Bird DLC Addon

Deadfire Preorder > “What are the DLC exactly! You ask us to pay for it, yet give no information!”

DLC info released > “How dare you revealing the DLC! You are greedy! You cut content from the main game! Damn you!”

Edited by Amentep
Edited personal comment
  • Like 27

my only problem with this DLC announcement is that it means we likely won't get another massive overhauling expasion like WM, but if these 3 DLCs are anything like the NV ones then am cool with it (even though I would still prefer a large expansion).

• Like 1

Post-release support and content being planned out in advance has been industry standard for the past one and a half decade. I'm not sure this is a red flag.

I do feel like it's strangely early to announce them, but most expansions or DLC are announced way later than their development anyway and their announcements are only delayed to lure people back at strategic times. So good on Obs for being transparent about their intentions and not hiding stuff for marketing reasons, I guess?

Also, the descriptions sound like standalone, optional content. I honestly prefer that to launching with the optional paths seeming lackluster and unfinished, like Endless Paths.

• Like 3

Not buying the latter to its logical conclusion. Yes, they want to create revenue, but taken to its extreme you get the most malignant practices of EA and Ubisoft with day 1 DLC, "pay to excel" and paywalls. One of the reasons people stick with Obisoft is that they have held themselves to a higher... I don't want to say "moral standard", but that is what it boils down to.

Sure, but it's kinda clear that that's not what Obsidian are doing here.

My point was mainly that "revenue raising tool" is a dumb criticism of DLC, not that there aren't companies that are extremely dodgy in the way they deal with DLC.

Also happy to announce that Master Guardian has been moved into a “potential Troll” category, with an overly dramatic thread, even though no new information has been addressed here.

Potential?

You are the one complaining. But you call others negative? Your complete lack of understanding even the simplest correlations makes you a doomed man.

Haven't you learnt yet. Negative means "doesn't agree with MG".

• Like 3

The main game in Pillars of eternity one was incredibly lacking before the expansions, for example the second city was an absolute joke

The negative users on this forum can heckle all they like as per usual because they are gaming addicts who spend 5000 hours playing one game and have no life

but history does not lie 

"The first game had a rushed final act, therefore three DLC planned means the second game will be rushed"

That does not logically follow, no. :p

New Vegas had Honest Hearts, Dead Money, Old World Blues, and Lonesome Road. All of which were substantial. And I don't think anyone would claim the base game was hurting for content. It may be that game development is, in fact, not a series of binary IF THEN statements.

They already gave away there would be DLC in the original kickstarter the only question is what formatting relative to size of installments.

Edited by Fiaryn
  • Like 7

It's pretty obvious that including the DLC with the main game would have meant a delay of several months. It's really obvious.

For better or worse, smaller DLC is the way to go, since they just sell. 15 years ago devs came up with larger planned expansions, and really the only difference is that devs nowadays announce the DLC way beforehand. Most big games have always had expansions planned even before release, nothing has changed.

• Like 1

This post should be used in Rhetoric classrooms as an example for slipery slope fallacies. 

• Like 12

"People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" ~Wynne, Dragon age Origins

Fig crowdfunding > “Why can’t we preorder season pass! We all know you will do expansions, so let us buy something worthwhile!” > Early Bird DLC Addon

Deadfire Preorder > “What are the DLC exactly! You ask us to pay for it, yet give no information!”

DLC info released > “How dare you revealing the DLC! You are greedy! You cut content from the main game! Damn you!”

Thank you for this. I didn't have the courage.

Edited by Amentep
Edited quote for consistency
  • Like 2

I don't think the expansions will have much to do with the plot of the main game. The main game is supposed to be longer than PoE and that game was so long my children had all moved schools before I had finished it.

• Like 3

I don't think the expansions will have much to do with the plot of the main game. The main game is supposed to be longer than PoE and that game was so long my children had all moved schools before I had finished it.

Really? xD When I didn't do WM DLC's and played on story mod, I'm pretty sure I finished the whole game (main quest + side) in about 3 days lol. xD 

I get it was *meant* to be *kinda* long, but no game is really long when you're just doing it until you finish it - more or less-...no sleep for the Watcher?? No, honestly, in one of my playthroughs, I LITERALLY couldn't sleep until it was done. Then when I saw the editing rolling 'your eyes shut and you were finally able to sleep' or something THEN, then I could rest. xD In peace. ^^ xDDD 

Edited by Tanjaxxx
  • Like 1

...........................really?

I backed the game knowing they were going to have DLC.

In fact... I explicitly backed the DLC.

I've done so now twice.

• Like 2

it would be awesome it it's going to be 3 expansions.. meaty ones. what i'm getting the feeling is all those 3 DLCs combined are going to be equivalent of a single WM expansion. i'm in favored of meaty expansions not DLCs. they are very careful in their word why it's being branded as DLC instead of expansion. i hope i'm proven wrong.

• Like 1