Hi guys

Do you know if there will be a Necromancer class with the possibility to rez deads, summon an army of skeletons, turn into a lich or any other spells like that ? yes I probably dream too much, but I prefer to ask, we never know ;p

Hi guys

Do you know if there will be a Necromancer class with the possibility to rez deads, summon an army of skeletons, turn into a lich or any other spells like that ? yes I probably dream too much, but I prefer to ask, we never know ;p

You won't be able to get that Divinity Original Sin 2 necrophi feel, sadly. It would probably be more watered down Diablo-like Necrophi powers.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

There is no necromancer as a class. You can maybe combine wizard and chanter and get the necromantic themed abilities of those classes. A beta tester (most likely Boeroer :p ) will be more suitable to answer this though.

This.  However, Chanter/Priest of Skaen, Chanter/Cipher, or Chanter/Druid might also work. 

Priest of Skaen gets some rogue stuff like Finishing Blow (I'm not sure if it works with ranged, but it doesn't say melee only so it should).  However, it would work thematically with some of its spells. 

Chanter/Cipher with a wand/Scepter/Rod would work pretty well, and Cipher has some pretty dark spells to fit the theme. 

Druid is a little wonky, but they have a lot of spells based around decay which would work.  However, they also have Shapeshift (Spiritshift in PoE), and that doesn't fit the theme.

Other possiblities to Multi-Class with Chanter: 

Ghost Heart Ranger using wands/scepters/rods, and just pick up mostly pet upgrades instead of focusing on your ranged weapon abilities.  Although, these are still animal companions, but ghostly.  So not a pure necro-type, however it gives you another summon you can use via your Ranger resource (Bond).

If you want a more Dark Knight type of build:

Skald (which is a melee focused Chanter subclass) MCed with Bleak walker Paladin would fit.  Chanter/Unbroken if you want a Tankier version.

Heck, a pure Beckoner (summon focused Chanter subclass) or Troubadour (a very versatile chanter Subclass) can be selective about abilities and still have a necromancer vibe. 

Quick note:  Bleak Walkers have a proclivity toward Cruelty and aggressive decision making, and Priests of Skaen have a proclivity toward Cruel and Deceptive decision making.  At least this was the case in PoE1, and from what I can tell it remains the same in Deadfire.  So, if you choose these then select your dialogue accordingly. 

We had already a thread like this, but I cannot find it at the moment.

The result was a beckoner/wizard.

Chanters can summon skelletons and other creatures.

Necromant is usually a wizard subclass and wizards in PoE have several spells that would fit the necromant theme. There is necrotic lance, to take an obvious example, and at least one of the archmages was a lich.

That's not true. As Helig of Thein, Nedyn and Concelhaut (and maybe others) taught us: Necromancy is not the same as animancy.

You can play a Necromancer as a Chanter and combine it with Wizard as other said above. Chanters can summon "undead" and other creatures like spirits that fit. They also have phrases and invocations that are themed around death, decay and fear. They can also resurrect party members during battle.

Wizards have some nice spells that fall into the "necrotic" and "leeching" category, mainly Concelhaut's spells (who actually is a kind of necromancer and a lich) and also some of Kalakoth's freeze based spells. Also stuff that evolves around disease/poison like Malignant Cloud an Noxious Burst could fit. And of course: Necrotic Lance - the signature spell of all skeletal wizards. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It's worth mentioning that flavourwise, Chanters really are old-school necromancers. Their powers are derived from more or less speaking to lingering dead and using their ancestral memories of old stories to produce magical effects. Honestly, if "Necromancer" is what you want, pure chanter is going to give you that much more than anything D&D or Diablo throws at you, no need to combine it with stuff.

• Like 1

I agree. The only drawback is that you'll have to pick a lot of "non-necromantic" abilites because there aren't that many in the chanter's ability tree that you can spend all your points on them. With a bit of imagination it might be ok though.

However: Chanter + Wizard is a pretty fun combo and viable. But you will miss the following chanter abilites when multiclassing:

• PL 8 Unlock - The Wind's Razored Nails Ripping Through Flesh
  • PL 8 Unlock - I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world
  • PL 8 Unlock - With all your Strength, Slay the Beast!
  • PL 8 Unlock - The Foul Thing
  • PL 8 Unlock - The Foul Thing Beckoner
  • PL 8 Unlock - As the Song Reached Its Creshendo
  • PL 8 Unlock - And with a furious thrust, drover her dagger into his heart
  • PL 9 Unlock - Did sing a song of carnage Fair
  • PL 9 Unlock - Did sing a song Beckoner
  • PL 9 Unlock - His heart did fill with the light of the Dawn!
  • PL 9 Unlock - The Great Wyrm Flew O'er the Mountains
  • PL 9 Unlock - The Great Wyrm Beckoner
  • PL 9 Unlock - The Arrow Sings Between the Dragon's Scales
  • PL 9 Unlock - And sip from the Marrow

The bold one sounds like something nice for a necromancer. :)

Here I post the ones from Wizard up to PL 7 (accessible by multiclass) that sound like they would/could (loosely) fit a necromancer - and also the ones one misses when not using a single class wizard (PL8 and above):

• PL 1 Unlock - Ghost Blades
  • PL 1 Unlock - Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff
  • PL 1 Unlock - Kalakoth's Sunless Grasp
  • PL 1 Unlock - Spirit Shield
  • PL 1 Unlock - Eldritch Aim
  • PL 1 Unlock - Thrust of Tattered Veils
  • PL 1 Unlock - Chill Fog
  • PL 2 Unlock - Necrotic Lance
  • PL 2 Unlock - Merciless Gaze
  • PL 2 Unlock - Infuse with Vital Essence
  • PL 2 Unlock - Concelhaut's Draining Missiles
  • PL 2 Unlock - Curse of Blackened Sight