Not a fan of this. 2 months per dlc sounds really really fast. Like these are not going to be substantial at all. Add to that that one of them will be combat focused, not really something I want in a deep, story-focused rpg, I am not all that excited for them.

I also don't believe that the sales of White March had anything to do with it's length. It's way more likely that the split into two parts was responsible. What a terrible idea. Who wants to get back into a deep, story-focused rpg, knowing that he will have to stop for a couple months halfway through. And by the time the second part came out there was barely any promotion for it. I barely noticed it and I pay a lot of attention to games, exspecially to rpgs. But there was barely anything. I only noticed it when the email came that it was out now, which I only got because I allready owned it.

I find it weird that developers always want to blame the concepts behind their products. The low sales HAVE to be because it was a larger expansion. It couldn't be because they did a terrible job at marketing and releasing the large expansion. Just like how single-player games are dead. Ignore all the successfull and beloved single-player games. It has to be a general problem and can't just be that we didn't do it well.

Sorry that got kindof rant-y.

If there's 3 expansion, having one more combat-focused isn't such a bad idea to me. After all, the combat is what makes this game for so many people.

We'll have to see if it's extensive enough to really stay interesting. I agree that an expansion that only covers one or two zones does seem a little forgettable

What People. I haven't seen many people praise the combat in Pillars. People praise the athmosphere and the story, not really the combat. Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 are RPGs that people like and praise for their combat. Pillars not so much.

The combat is a big draw for me with pillars. I actually like it better than divinity games. Of course the story is a big part too and both elements together is what really drives it home.

• Like 5

Not a fan of this. 2 months per dlc sounds really really fast. Like these are not going to be substantial at all. Add to that that one of them will be combat focused, not really something I want in a deep, story-focused rpg, I am not all that excited for them. 

I also don't believe that the sales of White March had anything to do with it's length. It's way more likely that the split into two parts was responsible. What a terrible idea. Who wants to get back into a deep, story-focused rpg, knowing that he will have to stop for a couple months halfway through. And by the time the second part came out there was barely any promotion for it. I barely noticed it and I pay a lot of attention to games, exspecially to rpgs. But there was barely anything. I only noticed it when the email came that it was out now, which I only got because I allready owned it.

I find it weird that developers always want to blame the concepts behind their products. The low sales HAVE to be because it was a larger expansion. It couldn't be because they did a terrible job at marketing and releasing the large expansion. Just like how single-player games are dead. Ignore all the successfull and beloved single-player games. It has to be a general problem and can't just be that we didn't do it well. 

Sorry that got kindof rant-y.

If there's 3 expansion, having one more combat-focused isn't such a bad idea to me. After all, the combat is what makes this game for so many people.

We'll have to see if it's extensive enough to really stay interesting. I agree that an expansion that only covers one or two zones does seem a little forgettable

What People. I haven't seen many people praise the combat in Pillars. People praise the athmosphere and the story, not really the combat. Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 are RPGs that people like and praise for their combat. Pillars not so much.

I've seen plenty of people do it and will do so myself.  I've seen that far more than praise for the story or atmosphere. We must read different sites.

Edited by The Sharmat

Weird cults are always a joy in these types of games because they fit so well within lore. I mean we've all busted them up before in these types of games but I'm especially looking forward to this.

Eldritch horrors are great too. I was hoping Obsidian would dabble in that being near the sea and all.

• Like 1

Yes! We have no bananas.

To each their own I guess. To clarify: I don't think the combat is bad, it's actually quite good. But it's not why I play these types of games. So a combat focused expansions just doesn't sound exciting at all to me.

• Like 1

Just to cast my voice. I absolutely love the 2nd DLC that emphasize on the combat. The sole reason i'm playing so many playthroughs in PoE was the builds and the combat.

Good point, and although my main draw is the story, I don't normally replay the same class in these kinds of games.  I'll roll a different character and class, and roll with a different party setup each time.  Fun combat is an essential part of that.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I've seen plenty of people do it and will do so myself.  I've seen that far more than praise for the story or atmosphere. We must read different sites.

I can absolutely confirm Eternity is not loved for it's combat.  The biggest thing most reviewers liked was the story build up and how it was different than anything really ever done in a game, how it had a lot of connections to modern society, and how well built the world was.

Most people said the combat was "serviceable but nothing you haven't seen before, and it could become a bit of a slog".

• Like 3

I can absolutely confirm Eternity is not loved for it's combat.  The biggest thing most reviewers liked was the story build up and how it was different than anything really ever done in a game, how it had a lot of connections to modern society, and how well built the world was.

Most people said the combat was "serviceable but nothing you haven't seen before, and it could become a bit of a slog".

That's the general consensus in my experience too (several going as far as saying the combat was outright poor), but I'll also add my vote in favour of its combat, I thought it was very enjoyable myself.

• Like 6

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Reviewers are idiots. They speak for no one but paid sponsors and some vague sense of consensus that only exists in their tiny echo chamber.

Edited by The Sharmat
  • Like 2

Just to cast my voice. I absolutely love the 2nd DLC that emphasize on the combat. The sole reason i'm playing so many playthroughs in PoE was the builds and the combat.

True I first Played POE for the story but I have 5-6 playthroughs because of the combat, I much  much prefer it to DOS1 or 2 combat.

• Like 2

I really don't get the reason behind releasing these small chunks of some mid-game content over the next half a year instead of releasing one aggregated expansion at the end of it. What is this release schedule trying to achieve?

• Do they expect people to replay the whole game every time an additional island is added? Is this then meant to keep people playing almost exactly the same content over and over again for months, because I really don't see that happening, no matter how good the game is.
  • If "forcing" multiple replays is not the purpose, then is this rapid schedule supposed to provide people with additional content while they play? In that case, are there really so many people, that take more than half a year to finish a game (I'd imagine, one would already have forgotten half of the plot details after that long) to warrant basing DLC schedules and size on them?

I just don't get it and it makes me worried. I hope, that these DLCs will together form a coherent addition with depth greater than its individual parts, but it does not seem like they will.

I really don't get the reason behind releasing these small chunks of some mid-game content over the next half a year instead of releasing one aggregated expansion at the end of it. What is this release schedule trying to achieve?

• Do they expect people to replay the whole game every time an additional island is added? Is this then meant to keep people playing almost exactly the same content over and over again for months, because I really don't see that happening, no matter how good the game is.
  • If "forcing" multiple replays is not the purpose, then is this rapid schedule supposed to provide people with additional content while they play? In that case, are there really so many people, that take more than half a year to finish a game (I'd imagine, one would already have forgotten half of the plot details after that long) to warrant basing DLC schedules and size on them?
I just don't get it and it makes me worried. I hope, that these DLCs will together form a coherent addition with depth greater than its individual parts, but it does not seem like they will.
From what I understand is that if you leave game dormant and release big expansion for it, it is fairly unlikely that a huge chunk of players will return to it. Nowadays companions who go for big expansions still lead with bunch of smaller ones - Witcher3 release bunch of tiny, free DLC, Civilization releases Civs, XCOM released couple DLC before WotC. At least, that’s how I heard it explained multiple times.
  • Like 3

• Do they expect people to replay the whole game every time an additional island is added?

Me, I'm just going to wait until they're all out before I play the game.

I mean, I'll probably start it on release day, mess around in the character creator for 2 hours, play for like 30 minutes, and then I'll stop and wait. :p

Has there been any confirmation yet that these are 'mid-game' content?

I don't mind three pieces of DLC coming out over the span of a year. I would prefer if it were post-game content this time, as I tend not to do full replays much. Got lucky with WM because I didn't play the first time until after it was all out ;)

One thing to keep in mind with small expansions vs one big aggregated one is that it could be restricted by the stories they want to tell as much as it is by money/work. Maybe they came up with some great story ideas further in past when the Deadfire content freeze happened (gotta stop adding new things at some point). And maybe those story ideas don't have good ways to connect to one another. Trying to force them to weave together is rarely a good idea.

If there was one large story idea they had, maybe it works better as part of a future game rather than limiting it to the size and effort and limited audience participation of an expansion.

Overall I think it's best to wait until they can actually talk about the DLC more openly before we toss around the negative speculations :)

• Like 1

Has there been any confirmation yet that these are 'mid-game' content?

Not that I know of. I doubt they'll be true post end of game content* but whether they're specifically end game content or are spread over a range of levels is purely speculation at this point.

*By this I mean areas you can only access once you've beaten the main boss of the game. 

@Skie Nightfall: Looks like it. The add-on was effectively a season pass.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I would say, with the current available information, that I am most excited for "The Forgotten Sanctum" DLC, as it seems to offer the most reactivity for helping or screwing over particular arch mages (At least I am assuming they are the arch mages) and might also have different mages there depending on your actions (Trying not to spoil). Then the "Beast of Winter" as if offers a mysterious island that will likely offer some deeper lore into the world and then the Combat focused one at the bottom, as I'm not super focused on the "kill things, get loot" idea, but who knows, might be really interesting and might have a solid story behind it. 

Based on what little information is available I have to say I'm excited to see these DLC's. Beast of Winter almost certainly deals with Rymrgand, which is very interesting because I think the gods in PoE are great and I'd love to know more about ol' Rym. However I'm a sucker for high level spell casters so "The Forgotten Sanctum" sounds absolutely perfect, and it comes out in November which nicely lines up with my birthday on the 19th. Now I can claim it was all part of the plan when I bought the season pass a year and a half in advance.