Commander can apply to anyone that is leading troops, in colloquial English, though it is also a specific rank. You may be thinking of the more specifically naval "Commodore". A fleet action would be very fun to command though and it would suit Deadfire.

Commander is a specific naval rank as well, at least in the British Navy.

• Like 1

Jup, comes from 'master and commander'. Though I doubt it's meant as the naval commander in this case. The watcher didn't join any navy so there's no reason to use commander in the description. They'd have used captain otherwise since captain is a title(can be rank) and commander is a rank in naval terminology. 

I wouldn't say no to a naval dlc though, but I doubt the demand would be great.

• Like 4

Yeah, the takeaway there is that it's just the market dictating this, not something Obsidian has all that much control over.

well, no.  obsidian has control and is not necessarily the market dictating.  is obsidian making conclusions, albeit educated conclusions, 'bout market forces and then deciding how best to stay profitable given their understanding o' those market forces.  am not gonna assume infallibility o' obsidian given how they has had more than a couple comical unforced errors o'er the years insofar as the business side o' game development is concerned.  we like obsidian games, but am thinking there is room to question their business decisions.

the why behind failure to be profitable and obsidian solutions for making future expansions more profitable ain't some kinda necessarily reflexive reaction to market forces.  wm wasn't profitable.  am willing to take such as a given.  the rest?  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ydwin as full companion

Funny way to spell "Konstanten".

You misspelled Cosmo the Space Pig.

As a rule of thumb, I try not to romance my bacon.
I see you’re familiar with Jonathan Haidt’s work on moral dumbfounding :) Edited by Achilles
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

But if you're leading a flotilla of otherwise unaligned vessels and not part of a formal navy, commander could still fit.

It's hard to read too much into the use of the word "commander" without also noting that the description states:

"a combat-focused expansion set on an undiscovered island"

Given what little context we have for the second DLC, the use of "commander" as a generic title for a manager of forces seems more likely than any specific naval reference.

Interesting news in the details:

FIG Backers that backed at the Collector’s Edition tier or above or included the Season Pass as part of their backer pledge will also receive the Season Pass.

I wonder how many other CE+ backers picked up a copy of the DLC not knowing it was going to be bundled in later.

Wait... what? Oh dear I didn't realize that at all, I thought it wasn't included.

It wasn't included during the FIG campaign...or after. It's only included since they posted that news basically.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

But if you're leading a flotilla of otherwise unaligned vessels and not part of a formal navy, commander could still fit.

I think that would be "commodore."

Also a good idea for another expansion!

Here's a sneak peak into the DLC [board "Vessel",8,1]:

commodore.jpg?dl=1

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Still, if White Match was apparently unprofitable, and it was, all in all, a big proper expansion, then the decision to make smaller DLC faster is not surprising.

These also have the lowest price point for each individual DLC, compared to WM parts and Bastard's Wound, which just adds to my "short length" fears...

Nothing about the creation of PoE and PoE II has ever been about smaller and faster.

But we will see.

Hey, everyone. Glad to see you are all excited. Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions right now, but I'll be able to after Deadfire launches. So, keep 'em coming and I'm sure we'll put together a Q&A for everyone in a few weeks.

In terms of questions, will these DLCs purely be combat/story based or will there be mechanical changes too (new subclasses, expanding the level cap with a new tier of abilities, etc.)?

Ehehe, funny I never asked myself that. But after some thinking, and then some googling, it seems there isn't really much difference, if any at all. Might be we just started saying DLC when we started [legally] downloading games rather than buying physical copies.

MIGHT be that DLC's aren't necessarily a continuation of the original. White March doesn't continue PoE1. It's done during it, or not at all if you like to throw away money. Whereas Brood War continues where vanilla StarCraft ends, Cataclysm follows Wrath of the Lich King, and The Frozen Throne follows Reign of Chaos. Yeah, I play a lot of Blizzard titles :p

So this makes WM1 a DLC to PoE1, but WM2 an expansion to WM1, while still also being a DLC to PoE1. Did that make sense? I hope not, because it doesn't here.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Ehehe, funny I never asked myself that. But after some thinking, and then some googling, it seems there isn't really much difference, if any at all. Might be we just started saying DLC when we started [legally] downloading games rather than buying physical copies.

Some people will claim that expansions are larger than DLCs but I think your guess is right. It's true that since we started using "DLC" rather than "expansion" a lot of add-on content has become smaller, but I suspect this is mostly due to the economic viability of selling smaller packets of content then there being a meaningful distinction between the two.

• Like 2

There isn’t really much difference as DLCs are expansions and expansions are downloadable. Some people use those terms to describe different types of content. “expansions” often describe a bigger chunk of content, which significantly modifies base game or adds new campaign - Starcraft: Broodwar, Throne of Bhaal, XCOM2 War of the Chosen, Civ expansions. Types of content which made sense being sold when internet and downloading wasn’t a thing - it wouldn’t be a worthwhile effort to release a disc with a single Civ for civilization2. DLC often refers to a more modern type of expansion which became popular with internet - smaller, multiple chunks of content.

While White March were two seperate DLCs forming an expansion, those three ones seem to fit better into a DLC area.

EDIT. A good example of DLC vs expansion is XCOM2, which has both: 4 pieces of DLC: resistance warrior pack, anarchy’s children, alien hunters and shen’s last gift. And one expansion: War of the Chosen.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 7

Would really like a large expansion to play after Deadfire. The problem with White March was that it was split into 2 which probably didn't help sales and took place in the middle of the game. Overall, it was a great expansion, in spite of being poorly structured. Hope these dlc's don't end up midgame. It really makes it difficult from a narrative perspective - and doesn't help the balancing....

Agreed. I really think new DLC should make sense *after* the main game, otherwise they feel like an interruption.

I WM2 you could've confronted some gods with your discoveries and the story still would've made sense. They could've had sove commentary on your pervious actions, but it would not have broken the story.

• Like 2

Not a fan of this. 2 months per dlc sounds really really fast. Like these are not going to be substantial at all. Add to that that one of them will be combat focused, not really something I want in a deep, story-focused rpg, I am not all that excited for them. 

I also don't believe that the sales of White March had anything to do with it's length. It's way more likely that the split into two parts was responsible. What a terrible idea. Who wants to get back into a deep, story-focused rpg, knowing that he will have to stop for a couple months halfway through. And by the time the second part came out there was barely any promotion for it. I barely noticed it and I pay a lot of attention to games, exspecially to rpgs. But there was barely anything. I only noticed it when the email came that it was out now, which I only got because I allready owned it.

I find it weird that developers always want to blame the concepts behind their products. The low sales HAVE to be because it was a larger expansion. It couldn't be because they did a terrible job at marketing and releasing the large expansion. Just like how single-player games are dead. Ignore all the successfull and beloved single-player games. It has to be a general problem and can't just be that we didn't do it well. 

Sorry that got kindof rant-y.

Not a fan of this. 2 months per dlc sounds really really fast. Like these are not going to be substantial at all. Add to that that one of them will be combat focused, not really something I want in a deep, story-focused rpg, I am not all that excited for them. 

I also don't believe that the sales of White March had anything to do with it's length. It's way more likely that the split into two parts was responsible. What a terrible idea. Who wants to get back into a deep, story-focused rpg, knowing that he will have to stop for a couple months halfway through. And by the time the second part came out there was barely any promotion for it. I barely noticed it and I pay a lot of attention to games, exspecially to rpgs. But there was barely anything. I only noticed it when the email came that it was out now, which I only got because I allready owned it.

I find it weird that developers always want to blame the concepts behind their products. The low sales HAVE to be because it was a larger expansion. It couldn't be because they did a terrible job at marketing and releasing the large expansion. Just like how single-player games are dead. Ignore all the successfull and beloved single-player games. It has to be a general problem and can't just be that we didn't do it well. 

If there's 3 expansions, having one more combat-focused isn't such a bad idea to me. After all, the combat is what makes this game for so many people.

We'll have to see if it's extensive enough to really stay interesting. I agree that an expansion that only covers one or two zones does seem a little forgettable

Edited by z_liquid
  • Like 1

My first thought was that each DLC is focused on different aspect (lore, story, combat, decisions) and if the other aspects are solid i really like the idea, it would allow to greatly developed expansion on the specialized aspect. Not very enthusiastic for combat related focused content tho

I will wait to play the complete game, so what i want for the DLC in terms of when its accessible is whatever is better for the franchise :-

Edited by esyvjrt

Headline: Pillars 2 DLC pits you against a doomsday cult. My reaction: but I want to join a doomsday cult. :(

Maybe they're a rival heretical cult to your one true doomsday cult.  :skull: 

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I bought the DLC to mostly support the devs and these types of games are a bit rare.

The White March was good, but it came out too late for me and the fact I had to go back in the game, I just didn't like that...for some reason.

I have much higher hopes for this...hope for the best, prepare for it not to be.

• Like 2

If there's 3 expansion, having one more combat-focused isn't such a bad idea to me. After all, the combat is what makes this game for so many people.

We'll have to see if it's extensive enough to really stay interesting. I agree that an expansion that only covers one or two zones does seem a little forgettable

What People. I haven't seen many people praise the combat in Pillars. People praise the athmosphere and the story, not really the combat. Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 are RPGs that people like and praise for their combat. Pillars not so much.

• Like 1