The problem of big meaty expansion is that it just can't make enough money, they lost money for making WM. I mean as a consumer I'd like developer to give me 200 hours of interesting game play and well written story with a 10 dollar price and free content every week. If they do that they will be broke before I can even praise them for being generous.

So if smaller DLC means they can make money and keep making games like Deadfire, then fine I'll go with the no expansion any day.

• Like 3

My guess is that Obsidian will not be doing a full size expansion after doing this round of DLC.  Even if Deadfire's sales are phenomenal, the time that would be spent on a large expansion could instead be used on: (1) getting a sequel out faster, (2) a same engine spin-off in the spirit of Icewind Dale, and/or (3) porting Pillars 1 to the Deadfire engine.  And that is assuming Obsidian does not need to use members from the Deadfire team for Tim Cain's unannounced project or some other project.  

That's all valid, but I could see a lot of DLC's just because the game's structure (islands and ships) is so particularly suited to endless DLC's. Just another island on the map . . . 

Definitely! More islands would always be a plus, as would be taking a Valian diving bell to the seafloor.  More systems for hunting sea monsters, fishing, trinkets, etc. would also be great.  I just think it will come down to what the owners of Obsidian believe will give them the best return, and some hesitance about an ongoing DLC business model is understandable considering the minimal attach rate for the White March.    

Looks like smaller DLC indeed...

And if I remember right, when they did that poll, that's not what players that bought The White March preferred... Wonder what's the point in doing those polls then?

I'm skeptical it can be as good as WM2 on a shorter format but I hope they can prove me wrong...

They don't want to lose money either. 

Fallout: New Vegas DLCs were perfect size for the 10 dollars/euros they cost. If these are anything like those 4 DLCs, it will be just fine.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

These look like good ideas for expansions - glad I added the expansion pass to my pledge.

The combat-focused one is the least interesting of the 3 to me, but I'll still enjoy it so that's only a relative statement.

I'm remembering TOTSC and imagining it split into smaller DLCs.  Werewolf Island was standalone (apart from a brief part in Ulgoth's beard that could've been anywhere). I loved that quest - it was quite short (especially on replays), but interesting and fun.  Durlag's Tower could've been its own DLC easily - a bit meatier than Werewolf Island, especially with above and below ground parts.  Add a small Icewind Dale-esque dungeon for part 3 and I'd've been happy with all that for $30 (or rather $20 that I paid for the season pass).

Underground?: check

Overground?: check

Wombling free?: er...

(^no idea, just popped into my head)

Even if the total is smaller than WI + DT + ?? , it'll depend more on the fun/interest factor than the size for me.

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

wow the DLCs seems road-mapped pretty soon.. all during this year and the latest one on Nov 2018. color me negative, they are not cut content and put them onto DLCs? wondering how long are the content. are they meaty one or are just small size where each adding few hours of content?

also it seems no new companions? that's very disappointing for me.

In video game development, some jobs such as writing staff and concept art are finished much earlier than the jobs of the programmmers and asset artists. The writers virtually always start planning DLC before any game is released. This is standard practice.

• Like 1

Deadfire Steam store page

• BEAST OF WINTER (Jul 2018): An ancient feud between eldritch powers goes unresolved in the southern seas, and only you can halt the mounting destruction.
  • SEEKER, SLAYER, SURVIVOR (Sep 2018): Far from the bustling trade lanes of the Deadfire Archipelego, the most ambitious warriors of Eora gather to compete for divine favor.
  • THE FORGOTTEN SANCTUM (Nov 2018): The great wizards of Eora have gathered together for a common cause and reach out to you, the Watcher, for assistance.

Pillars of Eternity 2's DLC (via PCGamesN)

• Beast Of Winter launches in July, and takes you to an island inhabited by a mysterious doomsday cult who are hiding an ancient secret. You'll also get to explore The Beyond, a mysterious dimension populated by ancient souls and devilish challenges.
  • Seeker, Slayer, Survivor drops in September, and is a combat-focused expansion set on an undiscovered island. Your party's martial prowess will be tested, as will your skills as a commander, in a mission to wrest ancient relics from the grip of Eora’s most skilled and savage.
  • The Forgotten Sanctum will be available in November 2018, and will test your party’s allegiance and morality in a quest to help (or obstruct) the great wizards of Eora. Will you befriend, betray or befuddle these venerable mystics as you uncover secrets lost to the generations? Your decision will ripple across the Deadfire Archipelago.

UJ7GkmD.jpeg

Omfg PSYCHED these look AWESOME

• Like 1

I am happy about this.

In some sense WM1+2 were better than the base game, but putting a big big amount of content in the middle of the game gave you one problem: No matter what you do first, you are completely overleveled for the other thing (Act 3 or WM). OK, even before the expensions I reached max level when getting to act 3, but I have the feeling WM made thid issue worse. Getting stronger is an importent part in RPGs for me. All games became a bit more boring for me once I had max level and at that point I just wanted to finish them.

I bought the complete edition of Fallout:NV, and I liked the expension. All 4 of them were really nice. A good story that keeps me entertained for some hours and an increased level cap are fine. The deadfire setting makes it much easier to add new areas. It felt strange in PoE1 that you had something to do in the main story, but you had all the time in the world to travel to a completely different part of the country and do something completely unrelated (WM1+2).

A big expansion after the main story ( like ToB or MotB ) are also fine.

PS: We need the following things:

fishing mini game ( I play Okami at the moment ), fighting see monsters, Ydwin as full companion

• Like 5

Now that we get three DLCs instead of one large expansion, I very much hope for New Vegas-like quality and quantity.

Each of NV's DLCs had great moments and memorable characters, decent length, also cool new player abilities and items. Wait and see.

Only bummer for the last one is that Concelhaut and -for most people- Llengrath are already out of the picture for the big meeting of the archmages.

Edited by M4xw0lf

Ydwin as full companion

Funny way to spell "Konstanten".

Only bummer for the last one is that Concelhaut and -for most people- Llengrath are already out of the picture for the big meeting of the archmages.

I'm personally most interested in meeting Arkemyr as his shtick seems to revolve around illusions and annoying the living crap out of others, but I guess he's already going to be covered by the base game, so I'm happy regardless of whom they they choose for the third DLC.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 5

Ydwin as full companion

Funny way to spell "Konstanten".

You misspelled Cosmo the Space Pig.

• Like 1

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

The word FORGOTTEN got me there (small Realms vibe in the font). But the premise looks really nice.

I wonder if the BEAST OF WINTER will be - again - icewindy in terms of landscape and areas (as Deadfire spans for bazillion of nautical miles). Actually I'd like to see some cold and temperate places in this game, not just sand and jungles. Rymrgand was also my first choice in PoE1, at least untill Wael came along. This could be interesting.

The SSS part seems like an arena combat grind nonsence, but as long the story is good, there should be no problem with that.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I have faith that of Ninagauth, Arkemyr, Minoletta(?), Citzal, Ryngrim, and maybe Caedebald and Maura, at least one of them will be more interesting than Concelhaut and Llengrath were.

Edited by The Sharmat

• SEEKER, SLAYER, SURVIVOR (Sep 2018): Far from the bustling trade lanes of the Deadfire Archipelego, the most ambitious warriors of Eora gather to compete for divine favor.

• Seeker, Slayer, Survivor drops in September, and is a combat-focused expansion set on an undiscovered island. Your party's martial prowess will be tested, as will your skills as a commander, in a mission to wrest ancient relics from the grip of Eora’s most skilled and savage.

tl;dr Welcome to Boeroer Mode! 

:biggrin:

Beast of Winter puts me in mind of Heart of Winter, but with more beast.

Seeker, Slayer, Survivor is clearly a fan-fic mashup of Quidditch, Buffy, and 'Reality™ TV'.

And the Forgotten Sanctum is about an amnesiac Dr.Strange.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

"Skills as a Commander" huh? I hope that means we actually get another battle of Yenwood Field type scenario.

“Commander” is a naval term, no? Perhaps an extended ship system, or some unique ship battle scenarios. According to a short wiki search commander=captain.

Commander can apply to anyone that is leading troops, in colloquial English, though it is also a specific rank. You may be thinking of the more specifically naval "Commodore". A fleet action would be very fun to command though and it would suit Deadfire.

Edited by The Sharmat

Would really like a large expansion to play after Deadfire. The problem with White March was that it was split into 2 which probably didn't help sales and took place in the middle of the game. Overall, it was a great expansion, in spite of being poorly structured. Hope these dlc's don't end up midgame. It really makes it difficult from a narrative perspective - and doesn't help the balancing....

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light