Favourite Movie and Scene/s?)

Tanjaxxx

I don't watch TV much, but my favourite movie of all time is Troy (2004), and here are my favourite scenes;

(OBVIOUS SPOILERS!!!)

1.) 

2.) 

3.) 

Edited by Tanjaxxx
  • Like 3

I was big into Hong Kong cinema, what can I say. 

Notice that there is a narrative of overcoming your fear and transformation, more pronounced in the first clip from Fist of Legend. It's basically 'use the force Luke' but better. 

The gang soldier from Hard Boiled who looks like James Brown is the coolest guy ever. 

• Like 3

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

My favorite movie is The Outlaw Josey Wales. The best scene is the last one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjNZT4HanZo

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Can't find a clip from my favorite film atm, so I'll give you a couple scenes from CHARADE (1963), one of my favorites instead:

and

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

we got too many "favorite" movies, which change from time to time, and we got more than a few favorite scenes.

kurosawa's ran has possible our favorite movie battle scene, but am only providing a short clip.

harry tuttle's death scene from brazil is a favorite, but is few decent quality clips online.

"let's go home" scene from the searchers is particular powerful, but is a culmination moment and works less well solo.  first time we saw, we didn't know if john wayne were gonna kill her or not. 

apocalypse now is having a few scenes which we admire. the colonel kilgore scene is particular noteworthy for Gromnir as it is a scene which could be done as part o' a play, with duval monologuing, but the scope is only possible 'cause o' movie medium. 

on the waterfront is a top ten movie for us and has a couple top ten scenes as well.  most famous is

but perhaps our favorite

karl malden never gets enough credit for his contribution to on the waterfront.

etc.

too many.

HA! Good Fun!

edit: better quality tuttle demise added.  for those unfamiliar with brazil, the earlier tuttle scene is kinda essential.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My all-time favorite film is 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I reckon the scenes that have stuck with me the most over time are either any of the ones involving the monolith, or the sequence dealing with HAL9000's deactivation. Some other favorites are the likes of The Hour-Glass Sanatorium by Wojciech Has, from which I'd likely call out the morning prayer sequence as one of the film's highlights, and Shohei Imamura's Black Rain, from which I'd bring up two scenes, one involving the protagonist's wife seeing their daughter remove tufts of hair from her head as cause of radiation and so on, and a scene where the neighbour's monologue about PTSD seamlessly blends into another traumatic episode as seen through his perspective. Brazil is yet another and I agree with Gromnir regarding Tuttle's death, very evocative.

Here's my full top 100, for anyone interested: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/algroth_89/top-100-films/

Finally I would also mention one of my favorite film sequences of all time, being the ballet from The Red Shoes. Absolutely magnificent:

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Apocalypse Now did better service to it's source material than a lot of movies that are based on books. I enjoyed Conrad's  "The Heart of Darkness" but I like Apocalypse Now better. The Outlaw Josey Wales did too. That was lighting in a bottle for Forrest Carter. That novel (it was called "Gone to Texas" not Outlaw Josey Wales) was the only good thing he wrote. The rest was trash.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Don't really have a singular "fave movie" (closest I'd get to is a Top 50 list maybe). Most of my fave film scenes would likely be action/combat or dance/musical related, and not always in actual fave movies ofc. One could search YT and post some of them all day long. Choreography, effects (whether non-CGI or CGI), battle "atmosphere" and emotions, general motion (human motion is one reason I like sports as well), I just love that kind of stuff.

Because I remember sitting in the theater and just going "FYEAH!" when the moment arrived. Plus at the time I didn't know what the 2nd terminator was about and the reveal was "wtf, awesome." (it was a lot easier to avoid spoiling oneself before seeing the movie, back then)

Technically a movie, although the mini-series version is what I watch. Overall the film/series is overlong/long-winded with an overwrought soundtrack etc - but Jeff Daniels was awesome as Joshua Chamberlain (Sam Elliot was great too). Probably not very moving/interesting without context/seeing the whole section tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Probably not as fancy or sophisticated as these other fellows here, but very personal to me:

"Welcome to Jurassic Park."

I was five years old when I saw it in theatres and I 100% believed it was real. It was majesty on a level that nothing in film has ever come close to for me, and very few things in real life either tbh.

Edit: Changed the link. Hey YouTube, when I clicked "copy link" what on earth made you think I meant the link to the ad your sorry arse was playing?

My own favourite Apocalypse Now scenes are typically the ones that are the most visually far-removed from reality, such as when Willard kills Kurtz and of course the Do Lung Bridge scene:

While the action scenes of Heat are admittedly some of the best in cinema, I'm very much partial to the more dialogue-heavy portions:

The final scene of the Thing is a near pitch perfect combination of scoring, cinematography, and terror-inducing dread:

And of course this classic horror scene which cemented my love for the series (or at least the two good ones and one alright Assembly Cut):

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Anything with Al Pacino, once he opens his gob, oratorical gold issues forth.

Too many scenes to choose from, this choice is as arbitrary as it gets, I could pull ten scenes from nearly every movie he has made. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Excellent choice! Robert Shaw absolutely nailed that scene!

Thomas Sowell

some love for underappreciated villains

and possible our favorite villain scene

stephen boyd's villain is beaten, broken and on the brink o' death.  he ain't coming back in the next scene.  he ain't gonna be cloned or some other such nonsense or deus ex silliness.  the villain genuine has been complete and utter destroyed.  nevertheless, messala's "triumph" over judah ben hur is profound.  the absolute malice o' stephen boyd's revelation and seeming tortured exaltation is making for one o' the bestest evar villain scenes.  

oh, and the chariot race leading up to the death scene is also deservedly iconic, even if it is a remake.

HA! Good Fun!

ps apologies for the pan&scan o' ben hur as it dilutes the impact o' the scene, but is the best we found.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

“Funny guy” from Goodfellas <explicit>

https://youtu.be/C5QAHzu_kAc

Finale from Good, Bad and the Ugly

https://youtu.be/aJCSNIl2Pls

Scene d’Amour from Vertigo

https://youtu.be/8317VVohgMo

Babtism scene from There Will Be Blood (could have gone with the ending but violence, spoilers and all)

https://youtu.be/5-XqI7PcClo

The scene from Up

https://youtu.be/9yjAFMNkCDo

Henry V speech.

https://youtu.be/A-yZNMWFqvM

Wow. This is fun. I could go on and on and on and on.

• Like 2