Help me lose my JRPG virginity.

Katphood

It's true, I have never finished a jrpg game. I have beaten games such as Nier: Automata and currently I am on my way to beating Yakuza 0 but to the best of my knowledge, those games are mostly considered to be Action Adventure games with some RPG elements sprinkled on top. 

I have many jrpg games that I have collected over the years but I don't know which one is the best game for starters. So help me choose one, here are the games I have at my disposal:

-Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Wirch

-Final Fantasy V, VI, VII, IX, X/X-2, XII, XIV, Type 0

-Tales of Symphonia Chronicles(contains both games in HD for the PS3)

-Tales of Xillia 1, 2

-Tales of Zestiria

-SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1, 2

-SMT: Nocturne

-SMT: Devil Summoner 1, 2

-SMT: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

-SMT: Persona 3: Portable

-SMT: Persona FES 3

-SMT: Persona 4 Golden

-SMT: Persona 5

-Vagrant Story

-White Knight Chronicles

-Arc the Lad

-Arc the Lad: Twilight of Spirits

-Suikoden I, II, III

-Legend of Mana

-Rogue Galaxy

-Chrono Trigger

-Chrono Cross

Yeah, I know: that's one helluva backlog.  :facepalm:

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

No YS????? How dare you!

No Trails Of???? How dare you!!

I vote for Tales Of Symphonia :)

• Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Final Fantasy IX, Suikoden I, random Persona, Tales of Symphonia, Ni No Kuni, etc...

In that particular order :-P

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I'd go either Chrono Trigger or Suikoden 3 of those you listed (though Suikoden may look terrible now, I haven't played it in forever.)

Otherwise, Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon or Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 would be my picks, but I haven't played a JRPG since the PS2 (which was the last console I owned)...

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation fellas. Tales of Symphonia seems like a good choice but I always thought FF VI was the one to start jrpgs with just because of one simple fact:

^I love this song!

Legend of Dragoon or Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 

Thanks, my backlog just got a wee bit bigger. :)

• Like 2

FFVI is the greatest jRPG ever made IMHO, but it's also very long, as are pretty much all the Final Fantasy games, so I'm not sure if it's an ideal entry point into the genre.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

my faves have always been Valkyrie Profile, FF VI, FF XII and FF Tactics. but Chrono Trigger is probably the easier one to get into (and it's also very good, as is Suikoden 2). I wouldn't touch Legend of Dragoon and Xenogears though (that's just personal preference).

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

What about Suikoden I? I heard a lot of praise about it from purists and such but I am not aure if it's the right choice for a beginner.

FFVI is the greatest jRPG ever made IMHO

Another reason I am thinking FFVI is because I have the digital PSONE version which I can play on the PS Vita. Playing PSONE games on the OG PS Vita(the ones that have an OLED screen) is a blast! The games look SO MUCH better, I played Silent Hill on my OG PS Vita and it looked marvelous despite its age.

Chrono Trigger, FFVI, FFIX, FF Tactics, Suikoden II, and Bravely Default would get my vote. FFVI would be a good transition from wrpgs to jrpgs because its second act is open world/side quests; it also boasts a big cast of unique characters to play as. Chrono Trigger is in this same vein, but with a tighter structure and smaller world.

• Like 1

I played much of that list and the only game I truly loved was Final Fantasy X.

Everything else disappointed somewhere along the way, and the majority I never finished.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Thanks for the recommendation fellas. Tales of Symphonia seems like a good choice but I always thought FF VI was the one to start jrpgs with just because of one simple fact:

^I love this song!

You sir have the best of tastes. FF VI was my first ever RPG.

Edit: if you're into old JRPGs (the best ones IMO) you can try:

The Breath of Fire series

Secret of Mana 2 and definitively 3 (best one)

and Skies of Arcadia.

Now get a bunch of emulators and get playing.

ReEDit: I forgot, Radiata Stories.

Edited by Orogun01
  • Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Games like FF6 and Chrono Trigger are classics, but lets face it, they haven't aged well. I think it will be a bit of a slog for someone who struggles to get though JRPGs. Why not choose one of the more modern ones? FFX is good and has okay graphics by modern standards. And weebs all over the world love the Persona series. Try one of those. Hope you find something to change your mind.

Games like FF6 and Chrono Trigger are classics, but lets face it, they haven't aged well. I think it will be a bit of a slog for someone who struggles to get though JRPGs. Why not choose one of the more modern ones? FFX is good and has okay graphics by modern standards. And weebs all over the world love the Persona series. Try one of those. Hope you find something to change your mind.

Blasphemy!!!!

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I actually think the old pre-3d games look better than the modern JRPGs but I'm not a fan of the art style so there's that

The sprite-based games most definitely aged much better than the early 3D games IMHO.  PS1 and PS2 era jRPGs, for the most part, look hideous these days, while SNES/Genesis era sprite jRPGs retain a certain level of charm.  Speaking of Genesis, add Phantasy Star games to the list.

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Agreed. 2D sprites really do look great. Same with pixel art, I find that Hi-Res peixel art and hand-drawn arts are my favorite graphics. Hi-Res sprites from games in recent years are beautiful as well (mainly found in fighting games)

• Like 3

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

am gonna suggest a less painful and more entertaining alternative to jrpgs.

feel free to share your results.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

^I love this song!

You sir have the best of tastes. FF VI was my first ever RPG.

Edit: if you're into old JRPGs (the best ones IMO) you can try:

The Breath of Fire series

and Skies of Arcadia.

Now get a bunch of emulators and get playing.

ReEDit: I forgot, Radiata Stories.

I bought a Gamecube almost entirely so I could play Skies of Arcadia (the Dreamcast was already defunct at that point.)

Never finished it, though.  That was around the time I kind of lost interest in JRPGs and anime, though I couldn't exactly tell you why (though fatigue and the extremely trope-y nature of most JRPGs/anime probably had a lot to do with it.)

I'll go with FFVI then, thanks for the recommendations! You people are gold. <3

And yes, sprites all the way. Ion Maiden aside, I really want a "3D" shooter with high-resolution sprites. Like you know, something with 4K/HD sprites and super detailed animations. I remember seeing Street Fighter III for the first time on the arcades back in 1996 and thought to myself 'this is the future!' but then came the polygons...

...the horror...the horror!

Woah, there is a Secret of Mana 2 and 3?! I always thought Legend of Mana was some sort of spiritual sequel to Secret of Mana, never knew there was a Secret of Mana 2 and 3. Thanks for the recommendations, I also remembered Secret of Evermore which was rather unique for its time.

am gonna suggest a less painful and more entertaining alternative to jrpgs.

feel free to share your results.

I did something worse the other day, it involved heavy downers(let's not get into details, I'm a lowlife) and me eating a 3 layered pancake and eventually throwing the whole thing up in the toilet due to low blood pressure. Afterwards I felt better though and started playing Yakuza 0, calmly walking through the streets of Kamurocho and beating the crap out of would be thugs...even Mr. Shakedown. Poor fella keeps getting mugged by me.

HA! Good Fun!

Could one of you old timers tell me what this thing is about?  :grin: 

There is definitely some history to it as I've seen you fellas write that here quite often.

Edited by Katphood

I'll go with FFVI then, thanks for the recommendations! You people are gold. <3

Glad we could help.  And remember, don't tease the octopus, kids!

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I woulda suggested Earthbound...of course, if Earthbound released today, I'm not sure it would even be considered a JRPG.

I'm kidding, of course: I can only recommend one JRPG, and it's the one that took #1 in our recently conducted Obsidian's Top 100 Games list.

• Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.