Are you addicted to video games? (Kinda personal IK)

Tanjaxxx

I've been thinking some weather or not I'm addicted, and the back of my head always says,"No, you're not," lol. Which is party right, but party also false....

The thing with me is, when I get really into a video games, it takes me 100%. I neglect everything else until I finish it or until I get bored with it - sometimes the boredom kicks in fast, and other times, It drags on for a very, very long time....

It started before I even got to school I think. I played the first tomb raider game, along with some pokemon ones (first games I recall playing anyhow), and I even asked my mom to make me a braid everyday just so I can look like the character I'm playing (Lara), but also, I climbed on top of things like I'd do with her, walked and ran weirdly (like she did in the first game lol, and no, i didn't do it all the time XD) but it was all just play pretend, and my parents found it funny lol....also, I kinda may have finger banged ppl pretending I have 2 guns. XDDD 

Video games haven't really ruined my life like with many other examples, and if you asked me if I regret playing anything....well, no. I honestly don't. Because I was having a good time with em'. 

Though, it did get to a point where I didn't even want to go out much (and I'm still at that point at times lol), because I'd rather play vid games. And when I did /do go out, my mind often wanders into the fantasy or sci-fi setting, and the fictional characters I made. xD 

Also, when my rents' were divorcing, It was kinda like..I only got really upset once I noticed he's taking the PC with him. xDDD I really dislike the Sims series now, but when I was around 12, I loved the second game and played it so much I neglected my school work, and even skipped school or played sick at times. xDD Kinda sounds like i'm a psychopath lol. Not caring bout' that the divorce. But I think, it was just cuz' I was in my own world. Since forever. In early school, the teachers even wrote that down in my ..idk what you call it, that piece of paper you get by the end of the school year, that has your grades on as well as (in 1-3d grade) what kind of a personality you have? Ya. It always said 'Tanja is in her own world...' lol. 

Again though, since I do have my moments when I'm not addicted, I wouldn't say I am addicted. Just at times lol. Plus, I don't regret my decisions, which is great! 

----)

Anyhow, what about you? Has the thought that you may be an 'addict' ever crossed your mind...?

• Like 2

I consider myself to be a bit addicted lately, but only because I'm trying to finish as many games as possible (from my backlog) That saying, I've got a pretty hefty list.

I'm not ganing all day or everyday, just when I get the chance. Still, this is alot for me as I normally go for like 2 or 3 weeks without playing once, then play like a whole day lol Right now Ive been playing bits here and there so it all feels fresher and more consistent.

Addiction is hard for some to own up to, so it's always an interesting topic.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I game a lot, pretty much every day but I don't consider myself a video game addict because 98% of the games I play are single-player games. I would say it's more like a hobby and most importantly, an investment. I could make a whole lot of money just by selling my games at half the price I originally bought them, never mind the consoles and accessories.

Actually, games help you stay away from the real addictions that are lurking outside the safe space of your living room. On top of everything, thanks to video games I can speak/read/write in two foreign languages(German/English) at an intermediate/professional level.

• Like 3

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Also, I kinda may have finger banged ppl pretending I have 2 guns. XDD

You know what I meant lol....xD *goes to find an appropriate google image....closes google images.....and waves hand over his/her head* "You will forget what happened here..." 

• Like 1

I guess so, I play them and don't get any sense of enjoyment.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, no. To be an addict, means not being able to stop - suffer withdraw symptoms and such.

I don’t need my daily/weekly gaming fix. I can not gaming for long periods of time if there is nothing that interests me or have other things to do. On average I feel I tend to game too much. Time when my computer was dead was one of the most productive and creative I ever had.

When game that I really really like come out I can disappear into it pretty hard, but it’s the same with a movie, tv show, book or a bar of Belgian chocolate. It’s more like binging on a video games rather than being addicted. It all depends how games are designed. Many games I like the most tend to “taste” best in small chunks when I am fully focused. While I can binge PoE1 now, I played it in small chunks for the first time stopping whenever I felt I don’t pay enough attention. I expect to be the same with Deadfire.

• Like 2

I guess I could say I'm a little addicted (but if it's a single player game). I know if the video game has a really good main plot-line I could 

be drawn in and spend a few hours every other day playing. But it's more so true if the game has a fully open world or even semi open.

Can't remember how many times I told my wife I was only just going to be playing for a hour and instead it turns into a few hours later.

Edited by wolfrider100
  • Like 1

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Well, no. To be an addict, means not being able to stop - suffer withdraw symptoms and such.

I don’t need my daily/weekly gaming fix. I can not gaming for long periods of time if there is nothing that interests me or have other things to do.

This.

I can become temporarily obsessed with an individual game for varying periods of time but I don't play games just because I need to be playing something. Sometimes I don't feel like playing games at all so I do something else for days or months instead.

But I'm definitely short-term obsessive in nature (binge watch TV, reorganize closets at 2am, taking forever just to farking trim hedges in the yard like I think I'm creating sculpture  :disguise: , read a novel in a day) and games fall into that category of being useful if I'm in a mood where I want to get lost in something a while.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Also, I kinda may have finger banged ppl pretending I have 2 guns. XDD

You know what I meant lol....xD

Of course I did. 1_0_by_babblingfaces-dc74oa2.png

Anyhow, in all seriousness with regards to the main topic, I have a personality that naturally tends towards rather intense and short-lived monomanias, and sometimes that can pair itself with gaming. I think I can be a videogame addict at times but I don't think that is at the heart of the problem, when the same occurs for just about everything I start to focus some attention on. I have a tendency to go into certain streaks at full speed and continue until I burn myself out of it and find another monomania to occupy the former's place - so sometimes it's film, sometimes music, sometimes literature, sometimes gaming... Right now I feel it's streaming though that is pretty interlinked with gaming too.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I find myself thinking about characters and their stories when I'm away from the pc or games I play... but addiction comes in many shapes and forms. Your bodies require stimulus from games you play in order to finction in certain ways (chemical degeneration and rehabilitation). This is what makes gaming one of the boggest addictions that the world struggles with, up there with hardcore drugs.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

If at all then I am addicted to the internet.

Haven't played much in the past years, as I was always busy creating my own content. Since this month, however, I can't get anything done and just play games in my free time. It's as if I have to catch up the past years...

I see no problems in such things for as long as they don't take precedence over anything else in life. If you start staying home, not going to school or work just to play video games, THEN it becomes a real problem, imo.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I see no problems in such things for as long as they don't take precedence over anything else in life. If you start staying home, not going to school or work just to play video games, THEN it becomes a real problem, imo.

The entirety of my office took a sick leave when Destiny 2 came out.

Man, was that so not worth it.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

No. I play video games less and less, though I do end up coming back to WoW and playing too much for long stretches of time. Not really playing anything now, even.

I think studying game design made it lose it's magic a bit. I'm always paying attention to the man behind the curtain. :mellow:

• Like 1

I don’t need my daily/weekly gaming fix. I can not gaming for long periods of time if there is nothing that interests me or have other things to do.

This.

I can become temporarily obsessed with an individual game for varying periods of time but I don't play games just because I need to be playing something. Sometimes I don't feel like playing games at all so I do something else for days or months instead.

But I'm definitely short-term obsessive in nature (binge watch TV, reorganize closets at 2am, taking forever just to farking trim hedges in the yard like I think I'm creating sculpture  :disguise: , read a novel in a day) and games fall into that category of being useful if I'm in a mood where I want to get lost in something a while.

Think It's the same for me...well, of sorts. I get obsessed with playing a game every now and again, and...well, alright, I guess it does cause me to be annoyed when I have to do something else, and I'd rather avoid the obligation but um.....some hard core body symptoms of addiction? No way.....if I'm comparing video games and cigarettes, let's just say video games (or rather, lack of them) don't give even 5% of the horrible symptoms I get when I try being without smokes for a few hours....I can not game for an entry day, maybe even a whole week....I won't be happy about it, even if I'm not obsessed with one, but I won't have any mad symptoms either. At least, I think I wouldn't. Lol. xD Pretty sure of it in fact, since I never have had them. 

I find myself thinking about characters and their stories when I'm away from the pc or games I play... but addiction comes in many shapes and forms. Your bodies require stimulus from games you play in order to finction in certain ways (chemical degeneration and rehabilitation). This is what makes gaming one of the boggest addictions that the world struggles with, up there with hardcore drugs.

I think bout' them too....also, I kinda TALK about them too at times. xD On both the interment, as well as discussing them with my bro. In fact, most of my and my best friend's convo revoves around video games. 

This one time - about a week or two ago - when we were out, we saw 2 other people have a different beer brand then us. So I was like 'Uh oh, if they attack us for it which classes would we be and how would we take them down'?

So then I decided i'm gonna be a mage healer, and in the end, can teleport away (He called me OP XD DUH) and he's gonna be a Rogue who can go invisible and backstab....also, I'd throw a few spells their way lol. ...I wonder if these other people at the bar heard us talking. Wonder what they thought of us LMAO. XD 

If anything, I feel sort of the opposite about it: I wish I COULD get into video games like I once used to. I don't find myself as interested as I was when I was younger, and only very rarely fall in love with a game (...and they're usually indie).

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

If anything, I feel sort of the opposite about it: I wish I COULD get into video games like I once used to. I don't find myself as interested as I was when I was younger, and only very rarely fall in love with a game (...and they're usually indie).

100% this. Half the time if I'm into a game it's because I felt nostalgic and got BACK into something I liked before.

• Like 2

I was in high school and at the beginning of university, but progressively I gamed less and less, until I practically stopped playing.

With me it's a familiar pattern - when there are things going on: job, socializing, travelling and the like, I do not game. When I fall into a rut: there's no work, nobody to go out with, or I'm generally not feeling 100%, I start gaming, or watching films, or binge reading. 

I do game from time to time for nostalgia reasons, and even then the novelty wears thin rather quickly. If I have the good sense to drop it then and there, it's all good - if I don't (like with PoE), I start feeling bad because I'm playing compulsively to finish, while not actually enjoying the experience, which leaves a lot of 'feel bad' all around. It's stems from a bad habit of binge playing instead of parceling it out over time and letting the game die away (if it isn't interesting) or just enjoying it in short bursts to the end.

All in all, I rarely get into a game nowadays - often it takes longer to download and install them than it does to get bored and stop playing. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I wish I could be addicted, but my back and knees can't take sitting at the computer for long stretches of time anymore. Old age and all that.

That's what they made handhelds for. :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I wish I could be addicted, but my back and knees can't take sitting at the computer for long stretches of time anymore. Old age and all that.

That's what they made handhelds for. :p

Neck and eye strain, old boy.  >_<

• Like 1