Request: Inclusion of "Unarmed" in the proficiency selection during cc resp. leveling up

Rensom

Thought I give this a shot since some of these requests seem to get granted/implemented:

So... basically what it says on the tin.

Not including "Unarmed" in the proficiency selection creates the following issues/contradictions:

- a Devoted set up as solely focused on "Unarmed" actually ends up NOT being solely (and primarly) focused on "Unarmed" but on the proficiency to be chosen from the proficiency list during character creation which at the moment DOES NOT include "Unarmed" as a selectable proficiency. Quite the glaring oversight if you ask me.

- the "classic" Monk (strictly focused on "Unarmed") is forced to chose proficiencies (since the proficiency selection CANNOT be skipped) during character creation he DOES NOT make use of. Which doesn't feel quite right obviously.

This is not ideal at all and I really hope this gets fixed either in the gold build still or via the obilgatory (day one) patch.

Official word on this and why exactly it's currently implemented in this stilted "quick and dirty" way would also be greatly appreciated. "UI problems" doesn't really sound like something that couldn't be taken care of in a timely manner. Adding "Unarmed" to the proficiency list to chose from can't possibly be that hard, can it?

Edited by Rensom
  • Like 1

unarmed is included automatically

Edited by mrmonocle

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

I recommend it in this way:

All classes except monk don't get Unarmed Proficiency at lvl 1 but can select it later.

Monk automatically gain Unarmed Proficiency at level 1.

Devoted must select the devoted weapon in the same UI after he picked weapon proficiencies. (which feels redundant for a non-monk devoted, maybe the system can detect how many proficiency devoted has and automatically select for him if he only has one proficiency).

Edited by dunehunter

It probably would be a minor improvement in "feel" if nothing else if people had to actually pick Unarmed proficiency on the proficiency picking screen. If nothing else, it would minimize confusion from people who don't realize they have it already for free, and anyone who wants to pick it probably knows why they want it and most characters get too many proficiency slots anyway so, there seem to be few downsides.

I presume they implemented it the way they did in the beta for ~reasons~ though but who knows.

• Like 3

Devoted must select the devoted weapon in the same UI after he picked weapon proficiencies. (which feels redundant for a non-monk devoted, maybe the system can detect how many proficiency devoted has and automatically select for him if he only has one proficiency).

Just make it so Devoted actually is devoted to both unarmed and their weapon of choice, maybe. If we are fishing for solutions, I think that's going to be the easiest and simplest, in terms of implementation. 

But both of these suggested solutions disregard the fact that a Devoted is only able to chose ONE proficiency by definition. You cannot put "Devoted" and _proficiencies_ in the same sentence.

OfWedif.jpg

FJINEa1.jpg

With the Unarmed proficiency absent from the proficiency selection during character creation it's currently NOT POSSIBLE to play a Devoted who's strictly and single-mindedly focused on "Unarmed". This kind of  Devoted will always end up with the (currently automatically assigned) Unarmed proficiency plus a second proficiency that must be chosen from the list as shown above but an Unarmed-focused Devoted obviously does not make use of.

ZVwRvRF.jpg

Edited by Rensom

I agree that "unarmed" profiency should be selectable on character creation or level up, not automatically.

Devoted get only one profiency and monks (or other classes who want to fight unarmed) have to select it when they want to fight unarmed.

Except for devoted, nobody gets a penalty for using a weapon without profiency. You can miss some bonusses that work only for profient weapons, but thats part of how profiencies work now.

Monastic training is junk at the moment.

I suggest the inclusion of fist weapons, like Fallout or PST have it. I mean something like gloves or brass knuckles in a broader sense.

PST even had a spell ( something like stone fist, I am not sure ) that increased unarmed damage for some time

@Rensom: Maybe "unarmed" is not considered a weapon and so devoted have 2 profiencies but only 1 weapon profiency.

But it looks like it is(?) - otherwise it wouldn't be listed under "Weapon Proficiencies" in the character sheet.

ZVwRvRF.jpg

• Like 1