Hey guys, sorry if it looks like a captain obvious question but i still didnt get how abilty gain exactly works...

From the videos i have seen from the beta looks like basically every single "skill" (be it a chant/invocation/weapon style/passive class abilty/an abilty upgrade/whatever) needs an abilty point to be learned and you only get 1 point per level and 1 extra point when reaching a new power level... And you can choose between any skills of the power level tiers you have unlocked right?

Thought i got how it worked but got confused by a character creation video i've just seen... Where someone create a rogue but he can just choose between "Escape" and "crippling strike" but he had no option to choose defensive roll or backstab, that should be tier 1 rogue abilities aswell, am i missing something then?

Hey guys, sorry if it looks like a captain obvious question but i still didnt get how abilty gain exactly works...

From the videos i have seen from the beta looks like basically every single "skill" (be it a chant/invocation/weapon style/passive class abilty/an abilty upgrade/whatever) needs an abilty point to be learned and you only get 1 point per level and 1 extra point when reaching a new power level... And you can choose between any skills of the power level tiers you have unlocked right?

Thought i got how it worked but got confused by a character creation video i've just seen... Where someone create a rogue but he can just choose between "Escape" and "crippling strike" but he had no option to choose defensive roll or backstab, that should be tier 1 rogue abilities aswell, am i missing something then?

I don't have access to the beta, so I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure in Character Creation, you only have those 2 actives to choose from (I guess to prevent players from just starting out with passives?), but once you start the game, you can pick any skill provided you have a high enough power level.

Mmm even on multiclass? Cause i wanted to start with a rogue/monk picking backstab from rogue and Swift strike from monk, so it would be a pity to waste a precious and rare abilty point on a rogue active i dont want... Can we respec with ingame mechanics or we have to use cheats?

Btw do you know if we can keep abilty points on level up or are we forced to use them?

I'm pretty sure it applies to multiclass as well. Also, like PoE1, you can't save points you use for abilities and talents (You can't progress through the level-up screen until you use them). I wouldn't call it a waste of ability/talent points, however, since it's just the starting point of your character. You have plenty of room to grow and will be able to get talent you want by level 2.

Well, being forced to get an ability you dont want is indeed a waste. For the first 3 level i wanted to pick backstab, dw style, swift strike and force of anguish and then start picking tier 2 abilities, so i necessarely have to skip one if those if i must pick escape or crippling strike... Well i guess i'll just live with it or cheat it around

Edit: just realized that weapon styles are tier 2 abilities... Oh man tier 2 is pretty much crowded with useful abilities...

Edited by malchiorita