Flawed design: dual welding with pistol/blunderbuss

kmbogd

Question

In my opinion we currently have a flaw in the design regarding the interactions of some ranged weapons and weapon styles. Most notable is the situation  in which we dual wield a pistol/blunderbuss with something else: it makes no sense that when using a single pistol the reload time is greater than in the case when you are using 2 pistols. Even the description of the pistol states that: "...despite their size, they require 2 hands to reload properly". 

The way I see it, it's fine to keep some ranged weapons as one-hand weapons, but in this case dual welding bonus to recovery(and two weapon  style bonus) should apply only to melee weapons (as a side note, I would consider all weapon styles to apply only to melee weapons, and have the ranged style apply to ranged weapons). In addition, for pistol and blunderbuss, I would even add a negative reload time modifier if you are not using it as a single weapon of attack (in the case you are dual welding it with other weapons or using it with a shield). Alternatively, but I would like it less, make all ranged weapons two-handed.

Edited by kmbogd
  • Like 1

5 answers to this question

suggestion: dual wielding pistols or blunderbuss lets you fire both weapons at once, but then you have to wait reload time mainhand weapon plus reload time offhand weapon before you can do something again. It would still be a speed bonus compared to single wielding, but you have to wait very long before you can do something after shooting.

single wielding: shoot, reload, shoot, reload, . . .

dual wielding: shoot both at once, reload weapon 1, reload weapon 2, shoot both at once, . . .

I you dual wield a pistol/blunderbuss with something else, the reload time will not be reduced by dual wielding for those weapons.

• Like 1

single wielding: shoot, reload, shoot, reload, . . .

dual wielding: shoot both at once, reload weapon 1, reload weapon 2, shoot both at once, . . .

I you dual wield a pistol/blunderbuss with something else, the reload time will not be reduced by dual wielding for those weapons.

1st

dual wielding: shoot both at once, reload weapon 1,shot weapon 1, reload weapon 1,shot weapon 1, repeat

dual wield pistols gets first big punch then it self switches to a single mod. In combat, speed is the most important so dont force load both weapon. Only if you are in combat and has no target then load both weapons. Otherwise shot as fast as possible, one hand. Think is, you need another proficiency and another weapon to get dual wield wwork properly, so it is hard enough for that initial alpha punch. After that use single proficiency and single acc bonus. Dual wield should be reserved for experts, so for proper usage you need to know 2 proficiency's.

2nd

dual wielding: shoot both at once, switch weapon set

- that should be proper usage combo

- switch weapon set after attack (or check the empty status) should be supported in AI/script tool

Apply all that then, Black jacket subclass start to shine.

- agree that dual wield guns with a melee or shield should loading make longer

- also would like to see a one handed mini-crosbow, which works, regarding loading, same as guns, but is quiet to shoot.

Just came to mind, Deadfire supports one weapon in two weapon sets, did anyone test if rearm one hand takes shorter?

I mean, I hold sword and board

rearm to gun and THE same board

shoot gun

rearm back to sword and THE same board

That is a fun pirate-like fight I want to see. Could experts here, measure the frames for rearm one hand when holding the same shield/side arm?

Edited by gGeorg