Your Preferences in RPGs...?

Tanjaxxx

I have a love/hate relationship with Morrowind. I started playing and hours later realized I was level 59 without ever touching the main quest. Then I tried playing that, got bored to tears and quit. Still, I'd say I got my money's worth from it but it didn't cause me to pick up any other Bethesda RPGs.

Fallout 3 and Skyrim (without mods) are decent Bethesda games. Decent. With mods? Fantastic, because it has a really large community of people who will patch and polish their game for free....

Honestly though, I preferred all the Fallout games Bethesda DID NOT make; Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas. 

I have a love/hate relationship with Morrowind. I started playing and hours later realized I was level 59 without ever touching the main quest. Then I tried playing that, got bored to tears and quit. Still, I'd say I got my money's worth from it but it didn't cause me to pick up any other Bethesda RPGs.

Fallout 3 and Skyrim (without mods) are decent Bethesda games. Decent. With mods? Fantastic, because it has a really large community of people who will patch and polish their game for free....

Honestly though, I preferred all the Fallout games Bethesda DID NOT make; Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas. 

This is all that needs to be said about Fallout:

fallout-a-post-nuclear-role-playing-game

• Like 1

Um, no.

Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas are made with similar design principles and pursue a similar creative vision.

Fallout 3 and 4 are Bethesda's own take on things.

Tactics is an interesting, flawed combat-based spinoff.

BOS1/2 were cash-grab shovelware.

Shelter, from what I can see, is some kind of Zynga game with a Fallout skin.

This is all that needs to be said about Fallout:

fallout-a-post-nuclear-role-playing-game

I see what you did there....approved. 

I like buggy ones.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The climate, the climate of the game is the most important for me. A good example is Morrowind with all legends, remnants of a real dwarf race (the dwarves have disappeared under unexplained circumstances). Interesting tasks and quests

TBH....I never could get into Morrowind. I played all *the best* and *kinda best* RPG's out there but....Morrowind? I really disliked the 'dialogue' system. Which was a shame! The music was awesome and I also enjoyed some other features but....yeah. That dialogue was a game-breaker for me. :/ (Unlike many other games, I didn't play Morrowind as a kid. If I would, my opinion could have been different.) 

I could never get into Morrowind either. I tried three times and each time I ended up slugging it out with some ugly critters in an oppressively brown landscape. There was a lot to read, but little of it interesting and the travel distances were vast without truly enticing content.

Oblivion was objectively worse, but the graphics hooked one in at the start until the game's true, vapid, nature was revealed.  When Skyrim rolled out, I tried it a bit and just didn't care - Bethesda games were never going to be up to the level of quality, cohesion and polish I expect from a (good) computer game. 

I can get behind budget games like Gothic that try to put their best foot forward in some aspects and expect you to give them a pass in others, but in a multi-million dollar AAA hype project having broken, half-finished, semi-randomly generated games out of the gate just don't fly. (insert No Man's Sky joke here)

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

You don't play The Elder Scrolls for the Story or the dialogue. You play it for the lore and the landscape. Especially Morrowind.

I play for the mods.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Here are mine, in no particular order;

1. Freedom:

Of exploration, or choices, of different ways to solve a same quest, of playing the character you want to play as...The thing that bothered me in Poe (Pillars of Eternity) was the stats. Or rather, the fact that a Wizard and a Barbarian both use Intelligence and Might. What if i wanted to create a dumb, blood thirsty barbarian and a squishy wizard...? I couldn't. Not really. 

2. Non-goofy graphics:

I really HATE cartoony graphics. Old I can deal with, but goofy? No way! This is one of the things that turned me away from Divinity Original sin...that and the feel of the world, which we'll get to in an instant. 

3. Serious (Depressing, yet hopeful) world setting/felling with a pinch of ironic humor: I think Arcanum nailed what I wanted a game to feel like. With music, sexism, racism (elves dwarfs etc, that kind of racism), general gloominess, yet, ironic humour; Example, there was a funny memorial that said;

"Here lies an Atheist. All dressed up and with no where to go."

Despite me being an atheist myself, and a woman (sexist world lol) I really, really loved this setting. But what was best about it, was that you could always raise up in the world and make the people who once called you names respect you (or you kill them lol. :D) 

4. Good music (Hopeful, yet depressing):

Well....yeah. xD It's my preference. Again; Arcanum, and Poe wasn't too far from it either. 

5. Lots of lore, and books that you're free to read:

Poe's lore got me the most. But in Skyrim, I could read books in a more extended way, which was also awesome (Too bad Skyrim's lore didn't get me as much a Poe's though.)

6. Character creation is a MUST. 

7. Background choices are a HUGE plus in my book. But there have to be many to pick from...

8. I HATE voiced player character. 

Honestly, it takes away immersion (how you think the character sounds, or how his reaction sounds etc..)

9. Skympy or/and no personality in portraits. Besides being pretty or hot lol. 

I love playing pretty characters (well, it depends who i'm playing). HOWEVER, I want them to have some actual character. There's a huge difference between my profile picture (The druid elf) who is both pretty and shows character, and some half naked chick who has a plastic face and just looks hot. 

A lot of you may mistake this comment for jealousy (or so i noticed), but It's actually just what I think any serious RPer would want (me included)....or would you disagree? 

-----

And that's all for now, I guess....best hey, that's just my view on things, what do you think? :))) 

Update:

10. Companions and companion relationships:

^^

11. I prefer Poe's personality system over the alignment one. 

:D 

12. Please don't chose who my character is and how he/she feels for me....:

*cough* Fallout 4 *cough*

13. I like romance....but it has to be my choice, nothing forced down my troth.

Also, it's only fair there are lesbian and gay options in as well. :) Since well...RPG? Freedom?? :)

BUT ALSO, I like it as a side thing that adds sparks to the story...if the whole tale was just revolved around some...romance....first of all, what kind of a gaming industry would do such an abomination, and second of all...why?? Thankfully, I've only seen fully romanced based rpgs in text based games (aka choice script). 

I agree with this, but i would also like to see more RPGs that let us play the side content after the main quest is done, i hate that most games are made so it makes no sense to actually do the side content, usually because the main quest is extremely time sensitive, and we can't do the side content after the main quest, and i would also like to see more RPGs where we are just a mercenary or smuggler or maybe a pirate, as opposed to always being the savior of everything in the universe, i would also love to see an rpg where we could invest in stores and maybe even starting our own store, or even making our own pirate fleet or something similar, maybe even having the ability to hire mercenaries to do some of the more boring quests for us, and it would also be nice to have the ability to give some of our money or other resources to whatever ally we have in the game, like giving my unused ships in Pillars 2 to either the Pirates or the Huana etc, and yeah, i also hate voiced protagonists in RPGs.

Edited by Huh

I agree with this, but i would also like to see more RPGs that let us play the side content after the main quest is done, i hate that most games are made so it makes no sense to actually do the side content, usually because the main quest is extremely time sensitive, and we can't do the side content after the main quest,

Though I agree with time sensitive issue, I really dislike side content after main content. Played FFXV recently for example, and it introduced new dungeons and weapons only after the game was over... So that I can use them for... what? New game plus?

Once the main story is over the game is over for me. I go make a new character and start over. So it's always better for me if there are times in the main story to complete side content, where time isn't an issue and we aren't rushed. For example if the villain went to another another dimension or w/e and WHO KNOWS when they'll be back... or like in Fallout 2 when you didn't really know where GECK was and had to search around. Those are the times when I complete all the side stuff.

But if you know where the villain exactly is and have the weapon to end it all, well... Makes it hard to justify doing side quests. So longer main questlines with occasional slowdowns in pacing to give us a chance to do more side questing is what I like.

I agree with this, but i would also like to see more RPGs that let us play the side content after the main quest is done, i hate that most games are made so it makes no sense to actually do the side content, usually because the main quest is extremely time sensitive, and we can't do the side content after the main quest,

Though I agree with time sensitive issue, I really dislike side content after main content. Played FFXV recently for example, and it introduced new dungeons and weapons only after the game was over... So that I can use them for... what? New game plus?

Once the main story is over the game is over for me. I go make a new character and start over. So it's always better for me if there are times in the main story to complete side content, where time isn't an issue and we aren't rushed. For example if the villain went to another another dimension or w/e and WHO KNOWS when they'll be back... or like in Fallout 2 when you didn't really know where GECK was and had to search around. Those are the times when I complete all the side stuff.

But if you know where the villain exactly is and have the weapon to end it all, well... Makes it hard to justify doing side quests. So longer main questlines with occasional slowdowns in pacing to give us a chance to do more side questing is what I like.

This is also a good way of doing it, but i still prefer mine, or a blend of them both maybe, it also depends on what type of game we are talking about though, Pillars one and 2 i think would benefit more from my way, or a mix of them both, and other games with better structure to them in the first place would probably benefit more from your way.

Edited by Huh

The Most important thing for me would be THE STORY . I can forgive ALOT in a game , I can let bug slide , I can forgive crashing , I can forgive crappy gameplay , crappy Loot , crappy Armors , crappy side quest...

But screw me in STORY and that's it . I don't care if you have the best combat system! I don't care if everything shine brighter then the sun on Steam or your review is 100/100 . 

The story is the meat , without it....I have no interest . Oh sure , I play others genre like strategy and such . But I'm talking RPG here . 

I love a Good story , so yeah for me that is the most important thing . 

The 2nd most important thing is : GENDER . 

For some peoples it's a no issue . For me , it's . I have been playing games since the Atari and since then I think I played enough games where I'm a dude . Nowday I like to play as my gender . Thank you kindly . 

The 3rd most important thing is : VROMANCE . 

I like romance , I'm against race gated romance , and orientation Limitation . I believe if a character suck , it suck cose how it's written not cose he is Labeled X . Period . 

The 4th important things is : The small little things , that often are added in the 1st game then neglected later in a sequel . 

For exemple : Background , traits , personality , class actions we can take . 

Believe it or not , in an RPG these stuff add up and spice up a game . They are fun ! You want your players to have fun ! 

The 5th important thing which is tied to story actually , is THE ENDING . Seriously , some games just shove this boring ending and then act all shocked when peoples are pissed . Believe it or not , some peoples want that Unicorn and rainbow ending! 

The one game that to me had the BALANCED ending like was Jade Empire , where you had the Goody ending , the 'You screw up ending ' and the 'You are totally evil ending ' . 

• Like 2
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

In order of importance: give me good characters with remarkable development, good combat with tons of spells to choose from to tailor my own playstyle, and a half-decent story. Characters/companions >>>>> story. Oh yeah, it's also super important that companions knowledge each other's existence, and interact. 

Edited by Multihog
  • Like 1

Yeah, good/interesting characters and character moments can carry even a game devoid of any plot. Like Mass Effect 2. It's a slightly above average corridor shooter with terrible fake difficulty and no story at all but who cares when you can play the game with Zaeed, Tali and Garrus. :)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

• 3 months later...

Story

Stories don't necessarily have to be original to be good but there has to be something that shakes up the formula. This could be the setting/world, a twist that plays on typical conventions and tropes, or view point not typically explored. Games like Bioshock which takes you to a beautiful somber distopia that explores a society that adopts a every man for himself philosophy, Pillars of Eternity that twists a common trope such as pantheon of deities worshiped by all

and questions that trope by revealing that they were artificially created by another civilization that got way too scared that there was no higher powers that existed

, and Tyranny which places you on the side of a malevolent overlord.

Character Creation

During character creation options should include customizing your sex, race (if the rpg establishes different races besides human), stats, and background. These choices should not only be cosmetic but have impact on your game play. When I say impact on game play don't mean npc's just remarking on your sex, race, stats, and background. I'm talking about how you can approach different quests, what can and can't be unlocked by playing a certain character set.

Companions

When it comes to companions I the best companions are those that are varied in views. I don't need to get along with all companions but I would like them to have as much detail as every other. Furthermore they should have a legitimate reason for traveling with you and preferably in some way tying into your quest or themes that the story presents. Romance would be nice but as a for the options it shouldn't be based on the race or sex of the character but whether or not the character would be interested in pursuing a relationship. 

Lore

I really like it when lore is explored not only by looking through books or chatting with NPC's but also through music, different landscapes, and quests.

Those are the one that i can think of at the moment.