Which player paladin order would support animancy the most?

Darcozzi Paladini I'd say. Or A Bleak Walker if he thinks it's highly effective for ending conflicts (like having an army of emotionless animats that you can send in) or a Goldpact Knight - if that's his contract.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Honestly, i don't really see anything about the Paladin orders that would cause them to support or condemn animancy (apart from the religious paladin orders like the Steel Garrote, but they're not exactly playable).

Seems like a thing that depends on the person itself.

• Like 5

None, animancy is a threat to the gods much like natural philosophy was a threat to Christianity. No paladin would take up animancy as a cause. 

However, a monk with a heretical philosophy might take up the cause of animancy if he believed that the practice and studies of animancy advanced both spiritual and societal advancement.

None, animancy is a threat to the gods much like natural philosophy was a threat to Christianity. No paladin would take up animancy as a cause.

It's a threat in the sense that it can lead to kith finding out the gods are fabricated, which is why the Leaden Key try to sabotage animancy everywhere, but common people oppose it because they're scared of what the soul dabbling might lead to (or think it has led to - Waidwen's Legacy). Still, you can find out yourself at Teir Evron that the gods themselves don't oppose it, or at least I remember the Galawain/Abydon/Magran trio not opposing it.

More importantly though, I don't know that PoE paladins necessarily follow gods to begin with. They're just zealously devoted to a cause or ideal.

• Like 2

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

However, a monk with a heretical philosophy might take up the cause of animancy if he believed that the practice and studies of animancy advanced both spiritual and societal advancement.

Neither Paladins nor Monks are religiously motivated by definition in Pillars of Eternity.

They can be motivated by religious ideology but the only unifying characteristic is that they are zealots of an ideology at all, secular or theological it doesn't matter which.

I'm guessing you didn't notice that not a single playable Paladin order in the game is a religious order lol.

Edited by Fiaryn

I'm guessing you didn't notice that not a single playable Paladin order in the game is a religious order lol.

What about the Steel Garrote?

"playable" ;)

• Like 2

My Deadfire mods

None of the in-game Paladin orders are dedicated to a God even tangentially.

How about Bleak Walkers and Berath? Seems Berath attracts a fair few psychopaths who like to think they are performing a holy duty by killing people, and Bleak Walkers do enjoy killing people.

My Deadfire mods

How about Bleak Walkers and Berath? Seems Berath attracts a fair few psychopaths who like to think they are performing a holy duty by killing people, and Bleak Walkers do enjoy killing people.

Paladins can of course be personally dedicated to a god, like anyone else in Eora, but as far as I'm aware there is no directly link between Bleak Walkers and Berath.

• Like 2

There is none.

The only known paladin orders who are connected to a god are the Fellows of St. Waidwen Martyr (Eothas) and the Steel Garrotte (Woedica). I'm sure there are more (Magran and Abydon seem to be strong candidates for example) - but we don't know about them yet.

• Like 3

The only known paladin orders who are connected to a god are the Fellows of St. Waidwen Martyr (Eothas) and the Steel Garrotte (Woedica). I'm sure there are more (Magran and Abydon seem to be strong candidates for example) - but we don't know about them yet.

Wasn't there also an unnamed order of Ondrite paladins in the Abbey during White March pt. 2? Unless they were meant to serve as generic enemy paladins who happen to worship Ondra, which is also possible.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

Someone in the Bleak Walkers might coindicentally worship Berath but those traits aren't inherent to either worship of Berath or membership with the Bleak Walkers. Bleak Walkers are basically the William Tecumseh Sherman paladin order by mission statement. You don't have to be a sadist to be into that. Berath itself, judging by its priesthood's favored dispositions, actually discourages taking joy in cruelty. Though people are free to do what they want regardless of who they worship.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Crucible Knights have paladins that worship Abydon, and some of Ondra's Giftbearers must be paladins too. But not sure if that counts.

Edited by The Sharmat
  • Like 1

Wasn't there also an unnamed order of Ondrite paladins in the Abbey during White March pt. 2? Unless they were meant to serve as generic enemy paladins who happen to worship Ondra, which is also possible.

yep. Also some unamed Paladin order working for the Iron Flail.  The game just named them Icetrecker Paladins or something like that lol

Have gun will travel.

I think that anyone who holds a particular ideology strongly enough can become a Paladin. I don't think you need to sign up to a preexisting Paladin Order. The existence of orders for the player character was, probably, a consequence of needing some way to govern favoured and unfavoured dispositions.

So, for example, the Iron Flail Paladins may not belong to an order at all, they may simple be very strong believes in Adaryc's vision.

EDIT: I might be wrong about this. The description on the wiki states that "[Paladins] can be found in any culture where a fanatical group of like-minded individuals have formed a warrior society dedicated to advancing their cause." which suggests they are (typically at least) part of organised groups.

Edited by JerekKruger

Another hint that Bleak Walkers and Berath are not exactly a no-brainer combo:

Try to multiclass a Bleak Walker with a Priest of Berath. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Just a historical point. Christianity wasn't anti-natural philosophy. They were in fact large funders (the biggest at several points) of it and much the the technology and science of Europe saved during the Middle Ages was by priests and monks. The church vs science thing came after the time period poe is roughly set in. Of course the Pillars gods want knowledge hidden and so may expect a paladin who worships them to cast down knowledge. But as we saw in the first game Pallegina is an anti-god paladin. Paladins in PoE merely stick to strong ideals, not necessarily a religion.

Just a historical point. Christianity wasn't anti-natural philosophy. They were in fact large funders (the biggest at several points) of it and much the the technology and science of Europe saved during the Middle Ages was by priests and monks. The church vs science thing came after the time period poe is roughly set in. Of course the Pillars gods want knowledge hidden

Not all of them. The only ones that make a huge deal about it as a general thing are Wael and Ondra. The others mostly just don't want it known they're animantic constructs and some are willing to risk that knowledge spreading simply because it's in their nature to do so (Abydon, Galawain, Magran).

Just a historical point. Christianity wasn't anti-natural philosophy. They were in fact large funders (the biggest at several points) of it and much the the technology and science of Europe saved during the Middle Ages was by priests and monks. The church vs science thing came after the time period poe is roughly set in. Of course the Pillars gods want knowledge hidden

Not all of them. The only ones that make a huge deal about it as a general thing are Wael and Ondra. The others mostly just don't want it known they're animantic constructs and some are willing to risk that knowledge spreading simply because it's in their nature to do so (Abydon, Galawain, Magran).

I don't know Magran seemed pretty on board with Woedica's plan. You may be right about the other two though. Abydon is progress right and wanted to save the Engwithans? (though that may have just been because he liked old traditions) I don't know enough about Galawain.