Even if you can’t use them in battle, can you equip two shields?

Shields can only be equipped in your off-hand slot as of the current beta. You can equip a shield (even the same shield) in the off-hand slot of two separate weapon set but you cannot equip two shields in one weapon set.

• Like 1

Maybe others will correct me on this, since I'm more of an enthusiast than an expert, but it's my understanding that this didn't happen in actual late medieval warfare - not that it *never* happened but that it was exceedingly unusual due to it being fairly redundant and occupying a hand at a time where polearms and other two-handed weapons were much more prevalent as a primary weapon. Maces and hammers usually acted as sidearms instead (flails are a more contentious subject since they were not common at all, to the point some argue that they weren't historically used in warfare). I also think you underestimate the capacity to parry and block with these weapons, as the shaft could be rather effectively used to deflect and parry, the heads could act as a hook, and the weapons were still fairly light even with their point of balance being more top-heavy - they're still pretty nimble weapons that only weigh about the same as an arming sword. Again, all this from my understanding since I don't claim to be an expert, but it's what I've gathered.

It happened for example at Flodden Field in 1513 AD where the heavily armored Scottish men-at-arms carried shields as an additional protection against arrows. But for the usual combat in the 15th c. and later you seem to be right. A complete plate armor was a very good protection (the relation of plate armor protection in this game compared to other armor hurts) and shields could be replaced by better alternatives.

To the topic, a shield is a great protection device (the relatively low performance of shields in this game hurts), but two shields were even more stupid than dual wielding arms. :biggrin:

Edited by geala
  • Like 3

They should allow Aumaua to use a two-handed weapon in a single hand. That would actually be an interesting racial trait.

Only if the trade off was the only thing they could offhand was a shield.

Even then it is still too OP, just like Monkey Grip always has been.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps dual parrying daggers? Otherwise, its one of those corner cases I wouldn't expect they're going to spend money supporting.

Well there is a modal (i guess?) that reduce dagger damage by 25% and increase deflection by 10. Don´t seem to be worth it tho..if your not rly tank focused but then dagger + shield is prob better..or even better hatchet/spear + shield.