It's just a whim of mine and i know it doesn't really make much sense but i've always wanted a character in this games to be able to use double shield in battle, maybe bashing foes with piked shields or some kind of new cool defensive modal/effect idk. I didnt really thought about the usability, just the cool looks

Inspiration (pic from an old dead game):

SBMIDTerm.jpg

anyone else ever wanted something like this? :v

Not really, cause it's horribly impractical and kinda dumb.

And considering that Pillars has been quite good (so far) when it came to weapon and armor designs being relatively practical.

Well, you're given the opportunity to wear a shield *on top* of a full-plate armour which already isn't very practical since the latter acted as a replacement of sorts for the former. Dual-wielding shields doesn't seem like a great idea but then again a person *could* do it and that could be the "shtick" for that particular character for whatever reason - but it does seem like a pretty specific and overly niche strategy and character build so as to build dedicated defensive modals and so on for that one character, or for that matter specific animations and so on as you'd likely require to animate a right-handed shield in order to wield it and, again, it doesn't seem feasible considering how utterly niche and most likely terrible the build would be.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

And considering that Pillars has been quite good (so far) when it came to weapon and armor designs being relatively practical.

Well, you're given the opportunity to wear a shield *on top* of a full-plate armour which already isn't very practical since the latter acted as a replacement of sorts for the former. Dual-wielding shields doesn't seem like a great idea but then again a person *could* do it and that could be the "shtick" for that particular character for whatever reason - but it does seem like a pretty specific and overly niche strategy and character build so as to build dedicated defensive modals and so on for that one character, or for that matter specific animations and so on as you'd likely require to animate a right-handed shield in order to wield it and, again, it doesn't seem feasible considering how utterly niche and most likely terrible the build would be.

Well, it's not like shield+full plate armor was unheard of, as there is quite a lot of period artwork depicting fully armored knights wielding shields.

Besides not all weapons were equally capable of parrying blows, so i could definitely see a knight that's using a flail or a mace using a shield as well, due to the weapon being pretty useless at defending yourself.

Dark Souls disagrees with you:

hqdefault.jpg

Well Dark Souls also calls this a Great Sword, so i don't think Dark Souls' opinion matters.

• Like 4

hqdefault.jpg

Well Dark Souls also calls this a Great Sword, so i don't think Dark Souls' opinion matters.

Indeed. Clearly, this is the Greatest Sword.

I'm so sorry.

• Like 4

hqdefault.jpg

Indeed. Clearly, this is the Greatest Sword.

I'm so sorry.

Honestly, i wouldn't even call it a sword.

It's more like a... giant rock popsicle

Mango-Plum-Popsicle-13.jpg

Edited by Juodas Varnas
  • Like 5

Well, it's not like shield+full plate armor was unheard of, as there is quite a lot of period artwork depicting fully armored knights wielding shields.

Besides not all weapons were equally capable of parrying blows, so i could definitely see a knight that's using a flail or a mace using a shield as well, due to the weapon being pretty useless at defending yourself.

Maybe others will correct me on this, since I'm more of an enthusiast than an expert, but it's my understanding that this didn't happen in actual late medieval warfare - not that it *never* happened but that it was exceedingly unusual due to it being fairly redundant and occupying a hand at a time where polearms and other two-handed weapons were much more prevalent as a primary weapon. Maces and hammers usually acted as sidearms instead (flails are a more contentious subject since they were not common at all, to the point some argue that they weren't historically used in warfare). I also think you underestimate the capacity to parry and block with these weapons, as the shaft could be rather effectively used to deflect and parry, the heads could act as a hook, and the weapons were still fairly light even with their point of balance being more top-heavy - they're still pretty nimble weapons that only weigh about the same as an arming sword. Again, all this from my understanding since I don't claim to be an expert, but it's what I've gathered.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Maybe others will correct me on this, since I'm more of an enthusiast than an expert, but it's my understanding that this didn't happen in actual late medieval warfare - not that it *never* happened but that it was exceedingly unusual due to it being fairly redundant and occupying a hand at a time where polearms and other two-handed weapons were much more prevalent as a primary weapon. Maces and hammers usually acted as sidearms instead. Flails on the other hand... It is in dispute whether they were commonly used at all (as a weapon in the context of warfare anyhow, which is probably where you'd see people wearing full plate anyhow), and those that were represented and so on were usually mounted on a long shaft and likely not used alongside a shield. I also think you underestimate the capacity to parry and block with these weapons, as the shaft could be rather effectively used to deflect and parry, the heads could act as a hook, and the weapons were still fairly light even with their point of balance being more top-heavy - they're still pretty nimble weapons that only weigh about the same as an arming sword. Again, all this from my understanding since I don't claim to be an expert, but it's what I've gathered.

That's pretty much my understanding as well. Full plate on foot would usually be wielded with a polearm, on horse with a lance backed up with a mace/hammer/axe. Even when using a lance people wearing full plate in this sort of era didn't usually carry a shield, even though they had a free hand.

Dual shielding belong to the same box as :

- dual spears

- axe & flail combination

or any other unbalanced unpractical weirdness which doesnt work.

So, as Deadfire support more silliness in arm wielding already, I support dual shielding.

Its reasonable.

Also teddy bears and pillows should be available.

Edited by gGeorg