What types of ships (or similar builds) are you hoping to see (and own) in pillars 2?

My personal top 3 picks:

• Manowar (really hoping for something like this)

manofwar.jpg

manowar.jpg

• Galleon

galleon.jpg

• Caravel

B001296.jpg

Edited by nightcobra

6025422_EFPg_C_v1.png

I feel like somewhere we've gotten a list of the available ships. I know there's a dhow, a junk, a catamaran, and a galleon.

There also are apparently secret ships according to the recent Reddit AMA.

I think Dhow, Junk, Catamaran, Galleon and Sloop are the known "common" classes.  

Sure, it would be cool for a man-o-war or other floating fortress, but those were crewed by hundreds.  It is already expensive enough to tool around with the starter ship on the beta map.  The watcher would need some serious finances to provide rations and pay for a simulated warship.

So, secret ships you say?  

• Like 4

I think Dhow, Junk, Catamaran, Galleon and Sloop are the known "common" classes.  

Sure, it would be cool for a man-o-war or other floating fortress, but those were crewed by hundreds.  It is already expensive enough to tool around with the starter ship on the beta map.  The watcher would need some serious finances to provide rations and pay for a simulated warship.

Watch Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire's ship combat in action

n9dXwmdT6zSTKmCgZkpU5Q-650-80.png

HYPE.

are those. . .sealed portholes? Is that a . . .

submersible? :w00t:

There's a certain amount of abstraction happening with the ships already; even a single cannon took a whole gun crew to manage, four to six crewmen I believe, not just a single individual; and even the Galleon we see in the PC Gamer article only has four cannon on a side, which is relatively dinky. 

I'm kinda hoping for an expanded ships DLC that adds much more depth, but I'm the sort of  geek who re-reads the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin books every few years, so I probably have a much higher tolerance for wind mechanics etc. than the average gamer does. It'd be nice to see a clipper ship, maybe even an ironclad . . .

It also bothers me that the Defiant seen in the promos is clearly a caravel, not a sloop

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 2

I feel like somewhere we've gotten a list of the available ships. I know there's a dhow, a junk, a catamaran, and a galleon.

There also are apparently secret ships according to the recent Reddit AMA.

Josh mentioned them somewhere, because I remember reading the list, but I don't remember where it was written (twitter, tumblr or an interview).

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Slave Galley, of course.

Rowed by the surviving able-bodied prisoners of my cruise of terror in the seas of the archipelago.  

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

are those. . .sealed portholes? Is that a . . . submersible? :w00t:

There's a certain amount of abstraction happening with the ships already; even a single cannon took a whole gun crew to manage, four to six crewmen I believe, not just a single individual; and even the Galleon we see in the PC Gamer article only has four cannon on a side, which is relatively dinky. 

Hush! It's a secret ship....  that's been cleverly hidden in official press images.

I totally agree with you about crew abstractions.  Each crewman in Deadfire represents about 4-6 people on a real ship.  But when you scale up to something monstrous like a proper Man-o-war, you'd need 50-100 Deadfire crew if you follow along the same proportions.

Would it be cool?  Hell yeah!  But managing a huge, independent warship like that would be a pretty serious mini-game.

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 1

Hush! It's a secret ship....  that's been cleverly hidden in official press images.

I totally agree with you about crew abstractions.  Each crewman in Deadfire represents about 4-6 people on a real ship.  But when you scale up to something monstrous like a proper Man-o-war, you'd need 50-100 Deadfire crew if you follow along the same proportions.

Would it be cool?  Hell yeah!  But managing a huge, independent warship like that would be a pretty serious mini-game.

Yeah, you'd have to assume that each Deadfire crew represented an exponentially greater number of "real" crew, etc.  It'd be doable but outside the scope of the game.

Looking at that screenshot more closely, I'm gonna suggest

animancy-powered shiprather than submersible. It's still mostly wood construction, etc, it's just that the domes are replacing the masts.

I wish they'd figured out a way to make wind direction more of a thing, but realistic wind would probably drive most players up the wall, to the point that it wouldn't even be worth implementing as a toggle.

• Like 2

Watch Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire's ship combat in action

n9dXwmdT6zSTKmCgZkpU5Q-650-80.png

HYPE.

I'm kinda hoping for an expanded ships DLC that adds much more depth, but I'm the sort of  geek who re-reads the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin books every few years, so I probably have a much higher tolerance for wind mechanics etc. than the average gamer does. It'd be nice to see a clipper ship, maybe even an ironclad . . .

It also bothers me that the Defiant seen in the promos is clearly a caravel, not a sloop

I was about to joke about Watcher finding a submarine but it seems Obsidian doesn't think it's funny :p

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

Looking at that screenshot more closely, I'm gonna suggest

animancy-powered shiprather than submersible. It's still mostly wood construction, etc, it's just that the domes are replacing the masts.

I wish they'd figured out a way to make wind direction more of a thing, but realistic wind would probably drive most players up the wall, to the point that it wouldn't even be worth implementing as a toggle.

Yeah... let's go with your explanation, this is the spoiler-free forum after-all.  ;)

Though, that doesn't really explain the presence of fairwater planes on the conning tower, now does it?  :)

I'm with you on the wind thing too.  It would add a little more depth to the ship combat, but the mini-game is probably already in a state where added complexity might just push players to ignore it in a rush to board and settle the encounter hand-to-hand.

am not sure if we is relieved or disappointed nobody has posted the following:

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am not sure if we is relieved or disappointed nobody has posted the following:

HA! Good Fun!

That's PoE 4. PoE 3 is airships.

I think the reason there are no Clippers, Schooner's, or Brigantine's is because those aren't ships that existed in the 16th century.

As much as I'd like to have one.

Yeah, no Windjammers either (best ship name)

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

As much as I don't think I'm not sure airships fits Pillars, something about Pillars 3 dipping it's toes into that style of fantasy is somewhat appealing. I'm sure people would miss Ships if they were removed, and airships would open some new options of setting. Every time people joke about the idea, I do sort of perk up about it all. I certainly don't want to think Pillars' distant future is too similar to our own.

Edited by injurai

As much as I don't think I'm not sure airships fits Pillars, something about Pillars 3 dipping it's toes into that style of fantasy is somewhat appealing. I'm sure people would miss Ships if they were removed, and airships would open some new options of setting. Every time people joke about the idea, I do sort of perk up about it all. I certainly don't want to think Pillars' distant future is too similar to our own.

There are some common lines between what the Engwithans did with binding souls and the binding of elementals for industrial purposes in the D&D Eberron setting.  Eberron had bound elementals powering airships, railroads, vehicles, etc.  Seems a little more ethically dubious for Eora's technology to develop in that fashion, but dubious ethics are what RPG story hooks are made of!

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 4