If anyone have better descriptions for unique subclasses of companions - please post it here. ( for example what are tradeoffs for Pallegina subclasses)

I don't know for sure of course, but none of the Paladin orders (sub-classes) have drawbacks, only boons, so hers would in theory also be only good things. I'm installing the full version now, and if I get an answer for you I'll come back as I discover the new sub-class info.

I'm actually considering Xoti as Priest/Monk. My current 'alpha team' (Working team name: "What is a tank?"):

- Watcher (Wizard singleclass)

- Edér (Swashbuckler)

- Pallegina (Herald)

- Maia Rua (Scout)

- Xoti (Priest)

It seems like the team could use a decent 3rd front liner. Do you want a priest casting constantly or is throwing 1-2 buffs, then smacking fools and casting once in a while worthwhile? Anyone who've played a Contemplative who can comment?

Edited by Yenkaz

I'm actually considering Xoti as Priest/Monk. My current 'alpha team' (Working team name: "What is a tank?"):

- Watcher (Wizard singleclass)

- Edér (Swashbuckler)

- Pallegina (Herald)

- Maia Rua (Scout)

- Xoti (Priest)

It seems like the team could use a decent 3rd front liner. Do you want a priest casting constantly or is throwing 1-2 buffs, then smacking fools and casting once in a while worthwhile? Anyone who've played a Contemplative who can comment?

I think your right, in that you need three characters who could potentially act blockers. I'm just giving Xoti a shield and heavy armour and letting her take that role. But if we're doing this as a post your team thing, I'm going with:

Watcher (Mage Slayer barbarian) - DPS/Off-tank

Xoti (priest) - Tank/Buffer

Eder (fighter/rogue) - Tank/DPS

Aloth (wizard) - CC/DPS

Serafen (cipher) - CC

• Like 1

The Watershaper subclass exclusive to Tekehu is looking like a top-tier one. The free water/ice spells at different power levels are nice like Chill Fog, but the real kicker is that his water/ice AoE spells (such as Chill Fog, Blizzard, etc.) do not have friendly fire . That makes him really attractive for an AoE blaster, he's definitely getting a spot in my party.

• Like 1

Like an idiot, I didn't save the game before letting Xoti join, and as I picked single-class Monk I can't tell you much about her Priest sub-class. I do know from watching Cohh play she has at least one unique spell she starts with.

However, here is what her unique Monk Sub-class does.

Copying the link only, rather than inline-image, so those that want to be surprised can.

https://i.imgur.com/QU2uv73.jpg

Same with this. It's an item she starts with and it's very powerful and may sway how you build her. I know it would have me, had I known.

https://i.imgur.com/NxHpXpf.jpg

• Like 5

Like an idiot, I didn't save the game before letting Xoti join, and as I picked single-class Monk I can't tell you much about her Priest sub-class. I do know from watching Cohh play she has at least one unique spell she starts with.

However, here is what her unique Monk Sub-class does.

Copying the link only, rather than inline-image, so those that want to be surprised can.

https://i.imgur.com/QU2uv73.jpg

Same with this. It's an item she starts with and it's very powerful and may sway how you build her. I know it would have me, had I known.

https://i.imgur.com/NxHpXpf.jpg

The latter would ruin her casting fist on the faces of her enemies though, right?

The former sounds very useful for a priest/monk, since it means that casting a damaging priest spell that kills the target would work as well as well as a melee weapon... Wait, imagine that class coupled with a wizard. Damn.

The lantern should work with killing blows via priest spells, but I guess we have to find out whether her first level sickle-spell counts as melee attack or not for it to proc the bonus wounds.

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

...and immunity to DEX afflictions in Shark form!

But no access to Creature spells I assume pertains to summons? That would remove access to the one 9th-level spell I’m looking forward to the most.

Xoti’s Monk subclass isn’t bad IMO. +3 Wounds per kill on a DPS-oriented Monk could work pretty well.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

From FilthyRobot's Twitch stream Xoti's unique Priest class gets:

Hatchet Proficiency for free.

1. Blessed Harvest
  2. Withdraw
  3. Vile Thorns
  4. Circle of Protection
  5. Wicked Briars
  6. Minor Intercession
  7. Wall of Thorns
  8. Symbol of Eothas
  9. Lashing Vines

Blessed Harvest seems to be a single target damage dealing spell that deals more damage to enemies who are bloodied or near death.

She also gets a Sickle as a Spiritual Weapon. I assume this will have a Burning Lash but I don't know for certain.

• Like 5

Also Cohh picked up Tekehu. He didn't click on one new skill at Power Level 8, so we don't know what that is (Unless he did it later).

This is what I picked up from Tekehu: https://imgur.com/a/xjhf6GF

Ooohh, I like Takehu's ability. Does it make all his water/frost spells foe-only, or just the special ones he gets? I'd love a foe-only Overwhelming Wave, or a foe-only Maelstrom.

Anything based off kills is immediately useless.

Idk, the new bloodlust for barbarians seems pretty nice. You get 20% action speed for 10 seconds after you down 1 enemy. Just leave one low health mob for your barb to destroy and enjoy the buff.

Anything based off kills is immediately useless.

While it says "enemy", so does Bloodlust in the beta and it works on your own summons (last time I checked). So there won't be any encounter where you can't potentially use it. 

Anybody caught a glimpse of the Marine Godlike’s racial?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Relying on your priest to get kills as a way of counteracting an always-on penalty is just awful game design.

It's not just the fact that getting kills is a completely random event.

The bigger problem is that if you're getting kills, you're probably winning the fight, and that's not when you need access to critical abilities.

In a difficult fight, getting kills will be tough, let alone getting kills AND getting your priest to deliver the killing blow.

So ultimately this is just a monk with an ability penalty.

The fluff is cute, and fits the character probably, but it's still trash game design.

If I was designing this mechanic I would have given her the following:

+ Chance on kill to gain extra wound

- Maximum wounds reduced by 1

Easy.

Even better would be whenever Xoti hits a target and it dies within 10 seconds, gain an extra wound, but that would be harder to code I suppose.

Edited by Yosharian
  • Like 1

Actually every effect on kill is pretty great. Bloodlust gives you a stacking speed bonus (which are hard go get in Deadfire) and Blood Thirst resets recovery to 0.

I plan on testing a Barb/whatever class has nice on-kill effects to maximize the effect and focus on that. Maybe paired with on-crit effects because the barb also has some nice passives for that.

Paladin comes to mind with Inspiring Defeat (defenses stack). What else...?

In PoE one of the most powerful melee builds was Barb with Bloodlust + Blood Thirst + Firebrand.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Actually every effect on kill is pretty great. Bloodlust gives you a stacking speed bonus (which are hard go get in Deadfire) and Blood Thirst resets recovery to 0.

I plan on testing a Barb/whatever class has nice on-kill effects to maximize the effect and focus on that. Maybe paired with on-crit effects because the barb also has some nice passives for that.

Paladin comes to mind with Inspiring Defeat (defenses stack). What else...?

In PoE one of the most powerful melee builds was Barb with Bloodlust + Blood Thirst + Firebrand.

That's cos Firebrand had absurd damage.

Blood Thirst is 'ok', zero recovery is quite nice, but that's on a Barbarian.

If Bloodlust stacks with itself then that does change things somewhat, but even so: getting kills means you're probably winning the fight anyway.