Just a simple question, but like with Fassina, does this mean that Conjurer is preselected as level 1, and then I get to choose either Conjurer, Chanter or Druid at level 2?

No, I think it just means she must be of the Conjurer subclass regardless of the combination (or lack thereof) you choose. I expect her to behave like any other joinable NPC, whereby you need to choose whether to single- or multi-class them when you meet them. If you multi her, it'll be Conjurer + the other class (no option for pure Wizard or a different Wizard subclass.)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Just a simple question, but like with Fassina, does this mean that Conjurer is preselected as level 1, and then I get to choose either Conjurer, Chanter or Druid at level 2?

No, I think it just means she must be of the Conjurer subclass regardless of the combination (or lack thereof) you choose. I expect her to behave like any other joinable NPC, whereby you need to choose whether to single- or multi-class them when you meet them. If you multi her, it'll be Conjurer + the other class (no option for pure Wizard or a different Wizard subclass.)

Interesting, but does this mean I can even skip that Conjurer if I want and go all in Druid single class for her?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Interesting, but does this mean I can even skip that Conjurer if I want and go all in Druid single class for her?

You can't. By the looks of it you have to choose between the three options listed in the chart. Nobody has confirmed her class options, though, so they might have changed.

His Chanter subclass is largely disappointing. I think he is better off as pure Druid, at least,if you're not in dire need of some of the Chanter phrases.

Constant AoE buff for free and a second renewable resource for Foe AoE offensive spells is disappointing? You’re hard to please.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

His Chanter subclass is largely disappointing. I think he is better off as pure Druid, at least,if you're not in dire need of some of the Chanter phrases.

Constant AoE buff for free and a second renewable resource for Foe AoE offensive spells is disappointing? You’re hard to please.

Huh? As far as I can tell he gets some cross class spells that he can cast as invocations and loses access to summoning spells.

What constant AoE buff and second renewable resource do you mean?

I believe that you can't choose the sub class, but you can multiclass them into a select few classes depending on the character.

ycXcUrS.png

Extracted (correctly) by Yosharian from Josh's social media/stream statements.

When a party member joins, you get a pop-up that allows you to select their class, with three options. Fassina’s three options will be Conjurer, Sorcerer, or Loremaster.
  • Like 2

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Huh? As far as I can tell he gets some cross class spells that he can cast as invocations and loses access to summoning spells.

Chants

Chants

What does that have to do with his chanter subclass?

Maia's subclass is actually nice, mostly on accounts of no drawbacks. I'm not a fan of firearms, but I guess I'll give them a try when I take her in my party.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Chants

Oh I thought you meant something unique to his subclass. I assume L4wlight meant his sub was bad compared to a vanilla Chanter.

Yes. Chanter already comes with strong offensive Invocations. The additions of his Subclass seem lackluster to me.

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

Chants

Oh I thought you meant something unique to his subclass. I assume L4wlight meant his sub was bad compared to a vanilla Chanter.
I think the argument was “his chanter subclass sucks”. My counterargument is that his his chanter subclass allows you to focus his druid abilities on passives and healing spells, and let the chanter side do most of the offensive casting. I’m not seeing anything in the higher level druid offerings that makes that look like a dumb move.

Chants

Yes. Chanter already comes with strong offensive Invocations. The additions of his Subclass seem lackluster to me.
Even with Heart of the Storm from his druid class?

I don’t know that anyone “needs” a chanter, but I do like the flexibility of a multi classed Tekēhu.

Chants

Even with Heart of the Storm from his druid class?

Heart of the... what? You mean the generic POE1 talent?

No, the caster-specific PoE2 ability (that druids can access but chanters can’t)

Chants

I think the argument was “his chanter subclass sucks”. My counterargument is that his his chanter subclass allows you to focus his druid abilities on passives and healing spells, and let the chanter side do most of the offensive casting. I’m not seeing anything in the higher level druid offerings that makes that look like a dumb move.

His Druid subclass actually has great offensive casts---especially foe-only Chill Fog and Ocean Burst.

All of the invocations in his Chanter subclass are Druid spells except for Bulwark Against the Elements, Crackling Bolt, and Chain Lightning.

Dancing Bolts

Bulwark Against the Elements

Crackling Bolt

Overwhelming Wave

Cleansing Wind

Chain Lightning

Avenging Storm

Weather the Storm 

Tornado

Edited by SaruNi

Now I get it, but what's the selling point here exactly? Because the Chanter class already comes with better offensive/defensive invocations. I agree that multiclassing to chanter could be a beneficial decision, but that does not make his chanter subclass any better.

So is it better to keep Tekehu singleclass druid? I know what to do with everyone else but I'm torn what to do with him. Is there a list of companions special subclass skills somewhere already!?

Scattered throughout this thread. You might have to backtrack a little to find them all.

Now I get it, but what's the selling point here exactly? Because the Chanter class already comes with better offensive/defensive invocations. I agree that multiclassing to chanter could be a beneficial decision, but that does not make his chanter subclass any better.

Better than what? If the argument is that you could multiclass a more powerful hireling, I won’t disagree.

*His* options though are comparatively limited. Again, unless I’m completely misunderstanding the progression, a single class druid Tekēhu will need to pick 5 level 7 abilities, 4 level 8 abilities, and 3 level 9 abilities. Maybe you look at what’s on offer and think that’s pretty great.

I see one thing at level 7 that looks interesting and he gets it for free as a chanter. I see a couple of things that might be interesting at level 8, but I can get rough approximations much earlier in his chanter class. Level 9 I can do with scrolls.

With a few points in chanter I can turn him into a heal-bot that spams near-constant resistance to 6 flavors of afflictions. Oh he can then use that to cast even more offensive spells when he racks up enough phrases.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Edit: typo

Edited by Achilles

While I don't think that multiclassing him is a no brainer, I completely agree with you that multiclassing him could increase his support capabilities a lot. But I'm not sold on spending any of my (generated) precious and limited phrases on the "not-overlapping" invocation-additions of his subclass, namely Bulwark Against the Elements, Crackling Bolt, and Chain Lightning.

Edited by L4wlight