Oww no sub-classe/multi-class free for companions :( my plans fell through..

What choose between:

Watcher: Beastmaster - DPS - Front
Pallegina: Paladin - Tank supp (heal) - Front
Eder: Swashbuckler - DPS - Front
Tekehu: Chanter - Supp (Buff/Debuff) + invocations - Back
Serafen: Cipher - CC - Back

OR

Watcher: Beastmaster - DPS - Front
Pallegina: Paladin - Tank supp (heal) - Front
Serafen: Witch - DPS/CC - Front
Tekehu: Chanter - Supp (Buff/Debuff) + invocations - Back
Aloth: Wizard - DPS - Back

I hesitate for Pallegina: Herald with only buff and Tekehu only debuff + invocations (need lvl 9 so no multiclass)

Actually every effect on kill is pretty great. Bloodlust gives you a stacking speed bonus (which are hard go get in Deadfire) and Blood Thirst resets recovery to 0.

I plan on testing a Barb/whatever class has nice on-kill effects to maximize the effect and focus on that. Maybe paired with on-crit effects because the barb also has some nice passives for that.

Paladin comes to mind with Inspiring Defeat (defenses stack). What else...?

In PoE one of the most powerful melee builds was Barb with Bloodlust + Blood Thirst + Firebrand.

That's cos Firebrand had absurd damage.

Blood Thirst is 'ok', zero recovery is quite nice, but that's on a Barbarian.

If Bloodlust stacks with itself then that does change things somewhat, but even so: getting kills means you're probably winning the fight anyway.

I always assumed that on kill abilities are generally about turning one small kill into an avalanche to destroy the enemy group. So they're not really useless. Even in fights you will clearly win regardless it can make you win quicker.

Actually every effect on kill is pretty great. Bloodlust gives you a stacking speed bonus (which are hard go get in Deadfire) and Blood Thirst resets recovery to 0.

I plan on testing a Barb/whatever class has nice on-kill effects to maximize the effect and focus on that. Maybe paired with on-crit effects because the barb also has some nice passives for that.

In PoE one of the most powerful melee builds was Barb with Bloodlust + Blood Thirst + Firebrand.

That's cos Firebrand had absurd damage.

Blood Thirst is 'ok', zero recovery is quite nice, but that's on a Barbarian.

If Bloodlust stacks with itself then that does change things somewhat, but even so: getting kills means you're probably winning the fight anyway.

I always assumed that on kill abilities are generally about turning one small kill into an avalanche to destroy the enemy group. So they're not really useless. Even in fights you will clearly win regardless it can make you win quicker.

20% increased attack speed for 10 seconds is not an 'avalanche'.  It's not even a significant advantage.

• Like 1

Let's not forget that there's always the possibility of enemy paladins that keep getting up at high level. I kinda like the idea of a barbarian that starts hitting harder and faster because his opponent just keeps popping back up.

Let's not forget that there's always the possibility of enemy paladins that keep getting up at high level. I kinda like the idea of a barbarian that starts hitting harder and faster because his opponent just keeps popping back up.

Let me tell you about a little book series called the Malazan Book of the Fallen...

I want a Malazan RPG so much.

• Like 2

Another Paladin ability, I think Inspired Victory or something -- regain Zeal on kill. So Paladin/Barb looks like a good way to go with this character concept.

Tekehu's Chanter subclass:

https://imgur.com/pAC9V3O

Serafen's Cipher subclass:

https://imgur.com/tHhmhgS

• Like 7

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

However, here is what her unique Monk Sub-class does.

Copying the link only, rather than inline-image, so those that want to be surprised can.

https://i.imgur.com/QU2uv73.jpg

Same with this. It's an item she starts with and it's very powerful and may sway how you build her. I know it would have me, had I known.

https://i.imgur.com/NxHpXpf.jpg

Thanks for posting this.

> Her lantern looks interesting:

+2 power level with inspiration spells: for a priest is kinda weak since it won't affect the magnitude of the buffs; but a +10% base duration for their inspirations is still nice.

+2 power level with restoration spells: will increase the total healing with HoTs by up to +21%, and of simple healing spells by up to +10%. That will do, especially because this stacks multiplicatively with bonuses from MIG/INT.

+1 mortification and + 1 wound on kill - but at the cost of giving up dual-wielding - can be useful for a monk who is heavily into primary-attack spamming, or the one who desperately needs more mortification (think of Inner Death).

> Her monk subclass is so-so through, especially because she cannon't multi-class into a fighter with mob stance.

In order to be better than a regular monk, she has to use no more than 2 wound abilities while killing 1 enemy. And if she used 3 - then she's just on par. Also she gains wounds only by delivering the killing blow via a melee attack... so no synergy with Blessed Harvest (which deals high damage, and even more to enemies that are bloodied or near death), but is a ranged (4m) spell. So it looks like she has to be built like a melee-dps-killing machine. Not to mention that her sickle has on-kill effect as well.

> Btw her stat spread is: 12/12/15/12/14/13

P.S. She could make a nice fire priest... if she had maxed MIG and INT and it was possible to multi-class her as priestess of gaun/helwalker. On the other hand if tooltip doesn't lie she can just one-shot most of the mobs on the early levels with just Harvest.

P.P.S. Thinking about custom priest (berath/helwalker with her lantern and a rot-skulls / or sceptre with modal turned on) intensifies...

---------------

Regarding Tekehu: nice druid subclass there. Water AoE turned FoE looks great, especially Chilling Fog. And Ocean Burst looks solid as well, because of it's dmg/aoe per cast time ratio. Don't like his stat spread... but there will be a way to mod it.

Edit: interesting chanter subclass. I don't like relying on summons anyway. While do find the idea of having some "free" spells to cast while phrases are building quite appealing. Although the particular selection of those spells... not quite, as they are too lenghy to cast for their effect in my book. Skald, Troubadour and Beckoner seem to be stronger than this Stormspeaker.

---------------

Serafen's Cipher subclass:

https://imgur.com/tHhmhgS

Love it and hate it.

Thematically it goes well. It's WILD. Not even player knows what gonna happen.

On the other hand it's an epitome of how vague a tooltip can get.

---------------

P.S. Has anyone seen what Pallegina has to offer in terms of racial/uniques?

Edited by MaxQuest

I'm not big on Tekehu's Chanter subclass, if nothing else because it brings no unique spells to the table (and let's face it—summons may not be for everyone, but they are one of the main selling points of the Chanter.)

The Druid subclass, on the other hand, looks very promising—with the caveat that I believe he can't use Aspect of Galawain, the one 9th-level Druid spell I'm looking forward to the most.

• Like 3

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

This is Tekehu's subrace in case people haven't seen it yet https://i.imgur.com/UtzMQc3.png

Now this raises a question: how many enemies do use offensive water spells and fire DoTs)

Very nice :)

I was looking at the log today and was puzzled by how Serafen somehow LOST a point of Empower when using Puppet Master. A closer look at his character sheet revealed he has an interesting (if erratic) sub-class. You guys may have discussed it here, but JIC I'll drop a screen I took of the subclass along with two examples from the log where it triggered (both suuuuucked but I only just found out about it, so no idea what boons it may present, I'll keep a closer eye on it now).

https://content.screencast.com/users/sdlufkin/folders/Default/media/c863874b-a60f-4fc0-ba7f-30bb9bc652d3/05.07.2018-12.21.jpg

• Like 3

I was looking at the log today and was puzzled by how Serafen somehow LOST a point of Empower when using Puppet Master. A closer look at his character sheet revealed he has an interesting (if erratic) sub-class. You guys may have discussed it here, but JIC I'll drop a screen I took of the subclass along with two examples from the log where it triggered (both suuuuucked but I only just found out about it, so no idea what boons it may present, I'll keep a closer eye on it now).

https://content.screencast.com/users/sdlufkin/folders/Default/media/c863874b-a60f-4fc0-ba7f-30bb9bc652d3/05.07.2018-12.21.jpg

Got any idea what a positive Wild Mind trigger does? Just the negatives flipped?

... Aspect of Galawain, the one 9th-level Druid spell I'm looking forward to the most.

You are a man of exquisite taste.

What it does ? Because I will do a ranger/druide just for the animal, but i'm thinking for pur druid

I believe that you can't choose the sub class, but you can multiclass them into a select few classes depending on the character.

ycXcUrS.png

Extracted (correctly) by Yosharian from Josh's social media/stream statements.

Just a simple question, but like with Fassina, does this mean that Conjurer is preselected as level 1, and then I get to choose either Conjurer, Chanter or Druid at level 2?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

What it does ? Because I will do a ranger/druide just for the animal, but i'm thinking for pur druid

Scroll all the way down near the bottom.