They haven't specifically said, (or maybe they have?) but I am thinking it might be a no.  We know for example Pallegina has a set knightly order based on pillars 1 choices, and knightly order is your subclass.  So they may do the same for all the companions, which I think is fine as long as they all have unique stuff.  Would suck if only the priests and paladin companions got special snowflake subclasses.

Edited by Karkarov

I think they said the companions have their own sub-class based on their background, you can't choose for them.

That's my understanding as well.  You don't get to pick subclasses for the Companions.

Eder and Aloth are base classes in all their options.  Pallegina has 1 of 2 Paladin orders, based on her Pillars 1 ending, and any multiclass is a base class.  The new-in-Deadfire companions all have at least 1 unique subclass of their own.  Both of Xoti's and Tekehu's 2 class options are locked into their unique subclasses.  Serafen has a unique Cipher class, but is a base-class Barbarian, if you choose that.  Maia has a unique Ranger subclass, and (I think) is base class in any multi.

The Sidekicks are a littler more up-in-the-air.  Fassina is a Conjurer Wizard, but I don't think we've seen any confirmation about subclasses for the other Sidekicks. 

• Like 1

Right. It was confirmed that oc have fixed (unique) subclasses or none. So no choice when it comes to subclasses. There was a thread here that had all the quotes and answers.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Really? I'm sure Josh stated that you could chose Battlemage for Aloth, for example. Which is a subclass, no?

Battlemage is the name for fighter/wizard multiclass.

Come to think of it, in Deadfire you can make Eder a squishy rogue while make Aloth a tanky fighter/wizard, it's quite a role reverse.

Edited by jf8350143

Really? I'm sure Josh stated that you could chose Battlemage for Aloth, for example. Which is a subclass, no?

Battlemage is the name for fighter/wizard multiclass.

Come to think of it, in Deadfire you can make Eder a squishy rogue while make Aloth a tanky fighter/wizard, it's quite a role reverse.

Ah, yeah. Sorry. I got that wrong.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I believe that you can't choose the sub class, but you can multiclass them into a select few classes depending on the character.

ycXcUrS.png

Extracted (correctly) by Yosharian from Josh's social media/stream statements.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

attachicon.gifbdc7eb3e6709c93dbd93e5d5933df8dcd0005484 (1).jpg

Here's what Josh says on the tumblr.

Thanks! I guess that answers that. I'd have liked a little more freedom (like I can see for Eder only have the option between maybe "no subclass and streetfighter, he can't be assassin nor trickster") but I am interested in these unique sub classes, and at least the default seems to be "no subclass" which isn't a problem, of course.

Some of the classes are a little strange. Won't it cause some weirdness if Serafen might or might not have cipher powers? If Xoti might not be a priest? Some of these classes seem intrinsic to their character's... Well, characterization?

• Like 1

I believe that you can't choose the sub class, but you can multiclass them into a select few classes depending on the character.

ycXcUrS.png

Extracted (correctly) by Yosharian from Josh's social media/stream statements.

Is that the only options available for companions multi-classing? It feels very limited. But i understand the reasoning. If companions were to able to freely multi-class any combination, it will severely reduce the replayability of the game? At the moment only the PC is able to multi-class freely.

I just realized Rekke is a base Fighter, i was expecting a unique fighter subclass since he is from a uncontacted culture and have probably grow a different type of fighters.

Unless all the training he received is from Deadfire Archipelago

Edited by esyvjrt

At the moment only the PC is able to multi-class freely.

And Hirelings

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

• 2 weeks later...