Why I think a fully voiced PoE:Deadfire is a mistake

I really don't see why hearing the same bit of background banter several times is any more annoying than reading the same bit of background banter several times. It is physically impossible to choose to not read something that is put before you (assuming that it is in a language you understand, of course). Once you read it, you essentially are hearing it your head. There is no functional distinction between the voiced banter and the read banter in this regard, unless the voice acting is particularly bad, of course. The ironic thing is that your post actually inadvertently attempts to demonstrate this very principle by you repeatedly typing the same phrase over and over again, completely demolishing your argument. You have only proven, if anything, that repetition is annoying, not voiced repetition.

I mean, you're probably right, but there's definitely something about repeating sound bytes that makes you gellarde! Well done. A formidable fortress in the old style. We don't build them like this anymore, you know. Not by the sea. Too vulnerable to cannons.

The difference between examples is you can't hit a button to make Pallegina shut up but you can click past the text almost as soon as it pops up.

The topic is about background banter between non-party NPCs being repeated, not party NPCs.

The difference between examples is you can't hit a button to make Pallegina shut up but you can click past the text almost as soon as it pops up.

Now, just in case, to clear things up - when I wrote what I did, I was actually agreeing with you. :p

There's a very good reason why people get annoyed by/meme out stuff like "Patrolling the Mojave makes you wish for a nuclear winter" and "Do you get to the Cloud District very often". I doubt those would have half the impact they have now if they had been conveyed as pure text.

The topic is about background banter between non-party NPCs being repeated, not party NPCs.

And this is a pertinent distinction why, exactly?

Edited by Skazz

Now, just in case, to clear things up - when I wrote what I did, I was actually agreeing with you. :p

There's a very good reason why people get annoyed by/meme out stuff like "Patrolling the Mojave makes you wish for a nuclear winter" and "Do you get to the Cloud District very often". I doubt those would have half the impact they have now if they had been conveyed as pure text.

And this is a pertinent distinction why, exactly?

Because the complaint made in the OP was about changes to the game resulting from full VO, but characters like party NPCs already say the same thing every time you click on them, so drawing consternation with that convention is irrelevant to those changes and the topic at hand.  

No reason you couldn't have a skip whatever line is currently playing button, just no one ever develops that.

That already does exist in a way. Selecting any dialogue option will cut whatever vocalized speech is being uttered and begin the next one. 

• Like 1

No reason you couldn't have a skip whatever line is currently playing button, just no one ever develops that.

That already does exist in a way. Selecting any dialogue option will cut whatever vocalized speech is being uttered and begin the next one.
Like Nier: Automata style where if you press the action button/key, it instantly mutes the voice actor and just shows text? True, but I think people will still complain that you must hit the button every line or couple of sentences.

I often wish Nier: Automata was fully voiced (every line) it's one of those rare Japanese games where the English actors are actually better than the American ones.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...