Deadfire will have FULL Voice over. It's ON!

Do you guys have a way to gauge how many fans CR brings to PoE? Would that ever be information you share?

Nobody here does but let's be honest, it will be a heck of alot larger than those who prefer to read. That's just the nature of rpg general audience these days. I don't believe there are reliable statistics for this but sales for such games are any indication, then we have an observative answer.

More people prefer to listen instead of read, I, myself am one of those people even though I love reading in general (after a long day at work or when my eyes or tired or have a headache) sometimes it just makes more sense to make the ears do more work.

This will surely bring a new audience to the Crpg table, those who skipped out on Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2 because it was too goofy or Pillars 1 because it had too much reading will have less of an excuse not to try out Deadfire.

So what we can say is that even though some of us may be disappointed, we'll still gladly play willingly and those who are getting introduced will now try based on this nostalgic sacrifice. So Obsidian was smart to play a hand at such chance and strategy.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I love reading and think books are a fantastic medium (in fact a superior medium to others in many ways), but I consume video games differently, as I think a lot of people have said before. I expect different things from them than books, want different things from them; and frankly, I've yet to see the game well enough written that I thought "Hey this game is ok but I'd much rather it were a book".

Out of curiosity, you guys that were annoyed at the news, what are some specific games that you thought would have been better without the voice acting? Not as a hypothetical world where the budget went a different way (a feeling I entirely understand). But one where the game would be exactly the same, just no voice work? Because that's really more what we're looking at here I think, given how late this decision seems to have been made in development. There must be some examples. Some Japanese thing with a cheap dub, perhaps?

Edited by The Sharmat
  • Like 1

I don't get why people are upset about full dialogues VO either. If you don't like hearing characters speak - just mute them in the options.

Full VO and No VO aren't the only options - Partial VO is favoured by those who want to get the flavour of the characters speaking but still want to read most dialogue faster than the speakers speak.

Out of curiosity, you guys that were annoyed at the news, what are some specific games that you thought would have been better without the voice acting? Not as a hypothetical world where the budget went a different way (a feeling I entirely understand). But one where the game would be exactly the same, just no voice work? Because that's really more what we're looking at here I think, given how late this decision seems to have been made in development. There must be some examples. Some Japanese thing with a cheap dub, perhaps?

Again - it's not Full vs. No VO for most of those who didn't love the news - it's Full vs. Partial

So as an example of a game that would've been better with partial VO for me: DA:O, FF-X, pretty much any game that did Full VO for me.  The games mentioned did have an 'up-close' camera though, and I admit it looks weird to have the full-face NPC not moving their lips and just giving a blank stare with the dialogue.  So choosing a better camera angle for unvoiced lines (like a higher, isometric angle or a wide-shot) would be needed.  But camera angles in those games were chosen anyway during conversation (no?).

My reason for preferring partial VO is given above (getting the character voice but not being slowed down by it).  To clarify, I'm not speed reading.  I'm doing full dramatic voice in my head with the character's voice, including facial expressions, just like when I'm reading a book - it's just faster.

That's why I like the suggestion given earlier for a hotkey toggle to mute dialogue (but not ambient sound/music) so we can satisfy all players (full/partial/no VO)

• Like 5

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Sometimes voice actors can manage to add emotion that text cannot...

Period.

• Like 4

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Not sure what point that video was supposed to prove

It proves exactly what I said.

Voice overs provide emotion that texts cannot, but texts cannot provide emotion that a voice over can... unless the reader misinterprets it as so, which is a totally different issue on their behalf.

What I'm worried about is whether this will turn into an Ultima situation. First we we have a classic crpg, then comes the meddling, and then we end up being asked what a paladin is.

I love that dudes videos on the Ultima series. Not sure how full voice over leads to that level of bad writing though.

What I'm worried about is whether this will turn into an Ultima situation. First we we have a classic crpg, then comes the meddling, and then we end up being asked what a paladin is.

I love that dudes videos on the Ultima series. Not sure how full voice over leads to that level of bad writing though.

I think you proved what SonicMage, and I also in another thread, said.....  It is easy to misinterpret written words, especially when the meaning is subtle.

Specifically, I think he was joking, and if he wasn't his written word was vague enough that to at least some people it looked like he was.

• Like 2

I think you proved what SonicMage, and I also in another thread, said..... It is easy to misinterpret written words, especially when the meaning is subtle.

Specifically, I think he was joking, and if he wasn't his written word was vague enough that to at least some people it looked like he was.

Indeed.

Is it really bad writing? Or is it comic phrase implemented in a way that wasn't recieved particularly well by those who couldn't tell the difference of a bad voice actor and bad writing?

It seems, so many rpg's (and games in general) have alot of these moments but the voice actors do a better job -today- at presenting them, thus less room for a critical evaluation of chancing a "Bad writing" reception (even though it was really bad voice acting and not bad writing).

I think you proved what SonicMage, and I also in another thread, said.....  It is easy to misinterpret written words, especially when the meaning is subtle.

Of course it's easy to misinterpret written words. That's why there are so many arguments on the internet. I dunno, I guess I knew he was joking, but sometimes it's easier to just answer things at face value instead of looking for subtle meaning. 

• Like 1