Deadfire will have FULL Voice over. It's ON!

Bring that shyt in! Aw right! 

I'm pretty sure we owe this to Larian, though :p

Edit: I don't believe they cut anything out of writing at all. VO usually is done at the end of production when everything is in place. From what we know, writing has been finalized months before now, before beta 1 so I don't believe it's done at the cost of it.

Also, people. Stop assuming/believe you know jack about budgets, moreso what is been told to us as truth/fact about it. Obsidian is not a small company AND has partnered with a publisher for Deadfire. Extra money could come from other routes besides crowdfunding.  

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

You know what the funny part is now? People who might not like Deadfire's writing or feel there's not enough choices for some reason or whatever, will blame it on VO :D

I'm sure about it :p

"Well, the writting this time sucks. But noooo they didn't respect their niche fans, they wanted to appeal to the masses [grumpy face]"

Like niche crowd doesen't deserve some ear candy :p

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 4

You know what the funny part is now? People who might not like Deadfire's writing or feel there's not enough choices for some reason or whatever, will blame it on VO :D

"Well, the writting this time sucks. But noooo they didn't respect their niche fans, they wanted to appeal to the masses [grumpy face]"

I can imagine the RPGCodex forums are already screeching "SACRILEGE!!!!11".

• Like 2

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

Well, yes and no.

There are enough quests in Pillars of Eternity 1, which didn't have full VO, that feel like they are missing additional options. Many moral problems in such quests only arise because we are not given the options to react properly. The prime example for this is the Ferry Flotsam quest.

But, people will forget that. And in so far, yes, they will blame full VO in Deadfire for it.

Independently from full VO, I hope moral dilemmas in Deadfire are not created artificially anymore by depriving us of the most logical and rational ways to react to them.

• Like 4

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Different people has different priorities when it comes to RPG games. Some people think spending resource on fully VO is a waste, others think adding romance is a waste and there are others believe balancing the combat is waste. So in the end it doesn't really matter what they do, people will complain, a lot.

Like I mentioned above, fully voiced is clearly not their plan at the very beginning,the stretch goal was "double the VO". So how is it possible for them to cut the content because something they didn't plan to do back when they write the game?

We don't know how they plan the budget, but there will be a budget for voice acting, whether they increase it to make the game fully voiced is unknown to all of us. However since the voice acting is done at the very end of the production, they can't really use these budget to do something will make a big difference to the game, hire an extra writer to write 5 new characters when the game is one month away from releasing? That would be crazy.

Also I think their partnership with CR is the reason they are able to go fully VO, it must saved them quite a lot of money on the voice actor part.

Edited by jf8350143
  • Like 1

I can imagine the RPGCodex forums are already screeching "SACRILEGE!!!!11".

They have been doing that for days already, no need to "imagine" it.

• Like 4

Do you really think the White March VO added a lot? I'm just curious. I just played through the first part (can't remember the VO in the second part right now be honest) and I'd say the only voices in it that I think actually *adds* something is 1) Zahua. Nice voice, pleasant to listen to, nice delivery and seems to have an understanding of the character and 2) Galvino which seems to bring some character to the... character.

The Devil and Maneha are both... not good to terrible. The rest of it (for NPCs and sidecharacters) is extremely average if you ask me. And characters like the three dwarf ghosts in Durgan's Battery are not only average but also instantly recognizeable as other characters in the game.

I enjoyed all of the three new companions. And it’s true a lot of voice actors are reused, which is especially recognisable in a tight expansion. In WM2 every orlan seems to be voice by the same person.

But my point wasn’t that VO somehow evelated game to another level, but that it didn’t hurt it. And I did like the more consistent VO - it didn’t switch on and off as much as in the base game.

As a full disclosure, I don’t think that VO does much for me, personally. And it seems that many in here share my reservation, that in the past chasing after presentation quality made RPGs less and less interesting. Still, open world exploration, faction and relationship system is in, so what I want from an RPG is being expanded on as well. And I would lie if I said I am not looking forward to more Aloth, Eder and Pallegina VO.

Whatever issues I have with D:OS2 aren’t down to full VO and I doubt that not making full VO would directly translate to a better game in case of Deadfire. If anything, it makes me believe that Obs feels so strong about the game that they want to make it as attractive product as possible... which makes me long for May the 8th even more.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 5

RPG Codex started doing that when POE was released and never stopped.

Before even, during the beta.

During the beta wasn't it mostly just Sensuki?

So I watched the stream that actually had story companions. I like what little I am hearing. Serafen sounds like, well, a pirate. But it works here. If my ears aren't mistaken then Xoti seems to indicate that New World types still have American southern accents (albeit, Xoti sounds more Deep South than southwest/Texas like the Dyrwoodans, a nice detail since she's originally from Readceras). Which is good news for me but probably bad news for a lot of people from comments I've seen online. But screw you guys, the Devil of Caroc was great, southern accents are great.

• Like 2

So I watched the stream that actually had story companions. I like what little I am hearing. Serafen sounds like, well, a pirate. But it works here. If my ears aren't mistaken then Xoti seems to indicate that New World types still have American southern accents (albeit, Xoti sounds more Deep South than southwest/Texas like the Dyrwoodans, a nice detail since she's originally from Readceras). Which is good news for me but probably bad news for a lot of people from comments I've seen online. But screw you guys, the Devil of Caroc was great, southern accents are great.

Great for me to. As a Brit I find it horrible jarring when fantasy characters are given British accents, particularly when they're given arbitrarily chosen regional accents and doubly particularly when it's clear the voice actor isn't a native of that regional accent.

• Like 3

I agree on most cases. I get tired of the fake RP English accents everywhere just because it's a vaguely " medieval"  setting. How do you feel about the Witcher's VO though, out of curiosity? They used actual Brits and a nice variety of regional accents which were consistent throughout, in the latter two games. Redanians were always vaguely Northern. Aedirnians were Welsh (except Yennefer but almost all the sorceresses are certainly faking their accents), Kaedweni were Irish, etc.

EDIT: For that matter, I'm curious, can you guys actually hear different Southern American accents? I know some of the regional English accents that are said to exist all sound the same to me, but that may be normal since I didn't grow up there. I'd assume a foreigner can probably hear the difference between say, a Bostonian accent and a southern accent. But could you tell the difference between a Texan accent and an upper class Georgian one, I wonder?

Edited by The Sharmat

I loved Caroc’s voice acting, personally.

Full VO doesn’t do much for me, but if all actors are as good as the Critical Role crew I’ll probably enjoy it. Still hoping that Allegra Clark, Ray Chase, and D. C. Douglas are in (for those who don’t know, they were Verse, Tunon, and Lantry in Tyranny respectively.)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

EDIT: For that matter, I'm curious, can you guys actually hear different Southern American accents? I know some of the regional English accents that are said to exist all sound the same to me, but that may be normal since I didn't grow up there. I'd assume a foreigner can probably hear the difference between say, a Bostonian accent and a southern accent. But could you tell the difference between a Texan accent and an upper class Georgian one, I wonder?

After living couple years in US I can recognise some of the accents but not all and not always, and I am fairly uneducated when it comes to the south. But from my experience Americans can guess each other’s origins fairly well.

I sure hope this didn't affect the amount of dialogue choices. This is how it always starts.

I'm just excited they took the time to do this. I certainly didn't ask for more VO. I'd merrily play Deadfire without any VO whatsoever.

Heh, I'm slightly amused to see this happy piece of news being bandied around as a bad omen, signalling the future demise of the PoE saga. Is this really the voice of reason?

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I've got next to no experience with the Witcher. For whatever reason the setting just never appealed to me so I've never gotten into it.

Hard to say regarding american accents. I can certainly hear differences but I couldn't place most accents. I wonder actually, can most Americans identify where various American accents are from? It's a pretty huge country and I'd guess a lot of Americans only ever visit a tiny fraction of it.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 1

I guess I’m lucky. As a non-native speaker, I can’t place any English accent :D

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I can tell English accent from American Accent, and Southern American accent, maybe Australian if the accent is really thick(which sucks for me because I lived in Australia for several years).

On the other hand I can't even tell 70% of my native language's accents, so I guess I'm just awful at this.

Edited by jf8350143

I've got next to no experience with the Witcher. For whatever reason the setting just never appealed to me so I've never gotten into it.

Hard to say regarding american accents. I can certainly hear differences but I couldn't place most accents. I wonder actually, can most Americans identify where various American accents are from? It's a pretty huge country and I'd guess a lot of Americans only ever visit a tiny fraction of it.

I think most Americans can get it down to the general region but I'm not sure most of us can get any more specific than West Coast/East Coast/South/Midwest etc unless we've spent time there, with some exceptions for places like New England where there's a pretty big diversity of radically different accents. America is a huge country but it's also a fairly new one with a relatively homogeneous post colonial culture, so the accent diversity is pretty low compared to an old world country like the UK. With the exception again of some places on the East Coast where the oldest colonies were established.

• Like 1

Eder and Durance are both from the Dyrwood, and while Eder is clearly a good ole boy from Texas, Durance has no discernible accent. Based on Devil and what we’ve heard of Xoti, Readceras is clearly supposed to represent Appalachia.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I sure hope this didn't affect the amount of dialogue choices. This is how it always starts.

I'm just excited they took the time to do this. I certainly didn't ask for more VO. I'd merrily play Deadfire without any VO whatsoever.

Heh, I'm slightly amused to see this happy piece of news being bandied around as a bad omen, signalling the future demise of the PoE saga. Is this really the voice of reason?

I don't want to get into a whole argument about this. I personally believe it can be a bad omen. The next game will likely be written with full VO in mind which can cut down on the amount of dialogue and choices. You don't have to give counter arguments to convince me otherwise. I've seen it happen before and I don't want it to happen to Pillars.

• Like 1