Deadfire will have FULL Voice over. It's ON!

I can't listen to audio at the moment, did they say anything specific about voiced player characters? I'm very curious about whether there will be a choice of voices, or it's one per gender.

There will be more voicesets on top of those already in the first game, including some new voicesets fashioned after the Critical Role Vox Machina characters as part of the Vox Machina DLC.

Actually, as of Beta 4 many of the voice sets have been replaced (i.e. male “Noble” is still there, but it’s a completely different voice)
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

What can we expect? 1 person doing voices for 15 characters? If talent is somewhat measirable, this could work and they might just get away with it. However, don't expect not to be able to tell that two or three characters are the same person and doing horrid impersonations. This is a given and I'm guessing this method will be used to cut recording costs, what say you

Geez it never ends. and the mawds get all over you. although that post is tame compared to alot of others. back to thread.

im kinda interested to see if this will reach more players to enjoy crpgs but it should be cool feature. I dont actually care to much either way but if its good it does add something.

What are you talking about? Mods have never been all over me, they've only locked a couple of threads I made due to people trolling on them, nothing to do with me or my content. The recent thread I made which was locked is a good example.

Edit: Trolling not the right word but more of not taking threads I ade seriously or derailing/off topic. Narf.

And there's nothing wrong with the truth of my comment, usually that's how it is if any company uses a voice actor for many or multiple npc's, this is only a bad thing if you (the reader) take it as such. Just as a member here may get offended at saying said heard audio is better than reading text in the game...

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Wow, this is really terrible news. Makes me very apprehensive about Obsidians budget handling, if they had the money to do this but not have unique art for all of the abilities.

Man, and I was just getting hyped again after they brought back might.

Edited by illathid

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

However, don't expect not to be able to tell that two or three characters are the same person and doing horrid impersonations.

Did you realize that Edér and Aloth are done by the same voice actor?

• Like 8

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I sure hope this didn't affect the amount of dialogue choices. This is how it always starts.

Doesn't make any difference at all as long as the main character isn't voiced. Even in games with 15 dialogue responses to everything, usually the same three or four replies come from the NPC in response to what you picked.

The ability to roleplay in old videogames is frankly greatly overrated. It's sadly just not possible on a very meaningful level outside pen and paper.

EDIT: In fact there's a great meme image about the downfall of RPGs that illustrates this very nostalgiac delusion. I can't find it at the moment but it goes like this. It's from the act two climax of Planescape: Torment, a game all agree is a roleplaying masterpiece. Ravel is asking the Big Thematic Question of the main character: What can change the nature of a man? There's something like 30 responses the player can give. The writers went out of their way to accommodate as many takeaways of the question the player could conceivably had as possible.

Ravel responds exactly the same way no matter which of these dozens of options the player picks. Whoever made the image didn't show that part.

It's juxtaposed with a picture of Dragon Age 2's dialogue wheel with its three predetermined good/bad/snarky options. I agree with the comparison it makes between the two games, really. But I think it entirely misses what the actual problem is. It's not lack of dialogue options that dumbed down the modern RPG. That's a symptom, and a pretty cosmetic one at that.

Edited by The Sharmat

I sure hope this didn't affect the amount of dialogue choices. This is how it always starts.

Doesn't make any difference at all as long as the main character isn't voiced. Even in games with 15 dialogue responses to everything, usually the same three or four replies come from the NPC in response to what you picked.

The ability to roleplay in old videogames is frankly greatly overrated. It's sadly just not possible on a very meaningful level outside pen and paper.

Oh i hadnt even considered that. Ye hopefully the Main Character has no VO. I just assumed it was everyone else

Edited by draego

However, don't expect not to be able to tell that two or three characters are the same person and doing horrid impersonations.

This is *really* not the norm for VO though, especially not in PoE. I mean, I'm replaying the first game at the moment and there is quite a lot of voice repetition, especially with the White March installed.

This announcement does absolutely nothing for me, especially if the VO is one the same level as PoE and Tyranny.

But hey, maybe we can have a voiced protagonist and dialogue wheel for PoE3. :p :p :p 

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I can't listen to audio at the moment, did they say anything specific about voiced player characters?  I'm very curious about whether there will be a choice of voices, or it's one per gender.

There will be more voicesets on top of those already in the first game, including some new voicesets fashioned after the Critical Role Vox Machina characters as part of the Vox Machina DLC.

There is a difference between voice sets and having a fully voiced player character. Going by the video and them announcing more voice sets, my impression was that the player character was not voiced outside the already existing voice sets for actions (aka the "get off my back").

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 4

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Wow, this is really terrible news. Makes me very apprehensive about Obsidians budget handling, if they had the money to do this but not have unique art for all of the abilities.

Well the beta seems to have chunky dialogue stuff and that is side content. 

This is *really* not the norm for VO though, especially not in PoE. I mean, I'm replaying the first game at the moment and there is quite a lot of voice repetition, especially with the White March installed.

This announcement does absolutely nothing for me, especially if the VO is one the same level as PoE and Tyranny.

But hey, maybe we can have a voiced protagonist and dialogue wheel for PoE3. :p :p :p

PoE's VO doesn't seem to have had a lot of effort put into it outside Thaos and the companion NPCs. There's no reason a very small cast of talented voice actors can't do dozens or hundreds of characters if they have the range, and it's certainly been done before. I don't know if that will be the case with Deadfire, but given what I've seen of the people involved I expect a lot higher quality stuff than in PoE 1.

The only inherent problem with voice overs is budget and dev time. Any criticisms beyond that stem from bad voice acting or direction, not anything specific to voice acting as a concept.

Edited by The Sharmat

I don’t see what that has to do with my comment? VO is expensive and having a larger budget for that means there’s less for art, quests, reactivity, etc. Game development is a zero sum game and you can’t add to one part without taking away somewhere else.

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I can't listen to audio at the moment, did they say anything specific about voiced player characters? I'm very curious about whether there will be a choice of voices, or it's one per gender.

Actually, as of Beta 4 many of the voice sets have been replaced (i.e. male “Noble” is still there, but it’s a completely different voice)

Huh? I wonder what's the reasoning behind that. I don't want my character to suddenly sound like a completely different person. 

Well, there is one single voiceline in WM1 where Aloth sounds exactly like Eder, I had to check the chat window because I wasn't sure which one of them was talking. 

But I somehow doubt that every other VA will be Matt's level of awesome in this regard. 

I meant for low-budget indie games whom use few to voice many.

[...]there's nothing wrong with the truth of my comment[...]

Worth to be cited for eternity.
I give you permission to use it for your signature if you really believe so :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I don’t see what that has to do with my comment? VO is expensive and having a larger budget for that means there’s less for art, quests, reactivity, etc. Game development is a zero sum game and you can’t add to one part without taking away somewhere else.

Your right i was making assumptions. Usually people worry about VO do to loss of dialogue options. I think i confused your comment with someone else.

There better be sea shanties.

Oh, there be sea shanties

if by chance they've put the sea shanty 'drunken sailor' i'll stay still in the sea waiting for the shanty to finish

btw, inb4 annoying town cryer or annoying trader

Edited by The Crimson

"Don't believe in yourself... believe in me, because I believe in you"

- Handsome Jack

Well, there is one single voiceline in WM1 where Aloth sounds exactly like Eder, I had to check the chat window because I wasn't sure which one of them was talking. 

But I somehow doubt that every other VA will be Matt's level of awesome in this regard. 

All the VA's from Critical Role at least have a similarly diverse range as far as I know, even if some of them haven't gotten to use it much lately.

From Mike Dowling on Obsidian discord: "All conversation dialogue is voiced (minus player). Some more narrator intensive segments are voiced, but not all. But, there is a lot of VO in this game. Trust me."

• Like 5

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Your right i was making assumptions. Usually people worry about VO do to loss of dialogue options. I think i confused your comment with someone else.

No worries. :)

• Like 1

-Josh Sawyer

*shrug* To be honest full VO is probably a better selling point than more icons. 

• Like 3

From Mike Dowling on Obsidian discord: "All conversation dialogue is voiced (minus player). Some more narrator intensive segments are voiced, but not all. But, there is a lot of VO in this game. Trust me."

So end of act Narrator voiced sex scenes are still on the table?

• Like 6

It may depend on whether they plan to do VO work for all of the language releases. But Larian Studios managed full VO for D:OS2 and it doesn't appear to have broken them.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It may depend on whether they plan to do VO work for all of the language releases. But Larian Studios managed full VO for D:OS2 and it doesn't appear to have broken them.

It may not of broken them but I’m sure it contributed to why DOS2 was such a terrible game.

-Josh Sawyer

All the VA's from Critical Role at least have a similarly diverse range as far as I know, even if some of them haven't gotten to use it much lately.

I don't know, I was able to spot Laura Bailey every time I heard her, and Liam O'Brien only caught me by surprise in WoW (he does sound differently as Serafen though). But there is no point in worrying about it now.  

Yeah, but the final act of the game was a mess. 

I'm all for full VO as long as it is high quality (DOS2 had that covered) and doesn't come at the cost of other important parts of the game.