So I was checking the portraits in the game files, and it seems that the sm.png portraits are in 76x96 dimension.

Currently the sm.png custom portraits I'm using are 210x265. Do I need to rescale it to 76x96? or will the game scale the sm.png on it's own?

(cuz rescaling each portrait, while not an issue, is gonna be a hassle lol)

Edited by Hamhaus

I had no idea Jason Seow was actually contracted for game work. I always thought he was just an artist doing hobby work.

I’ll go through these two threads to get all the watercolor portraits done of his unimplemented designs together. I’ll put them together into a .zip for folk and see what ones still need the watercolor treatment.

• Like 2

Gotta say that I am fairly disappointed with the portraits. They are mainly reusing the old portraits and added a few horrible backer portraits. I was expecting something else entirely. The 3D models are pretty good though, so there's that.

Edited by Artaios

So the male black hair orlan portrait and one of the human male portraits is missing. Pretty lame that I have to make my own watercolor portrait for a default portrait from the first game.

Once again, I wanted to thank Aramintai for watercolouring my Dwarven female portraits. I'm using it now for my first playthrough, and it really fits for my cool mountain dwarf lass (which Obsidian said was the least played race + gender combo of them all in PoE1 acc. to telemetry).

• Like 6

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I've been trying and failing to add the water colour/parchment effect to this portrait (using all the tutorials avaliable here and else where) and so far I'm really not having any luck. Could anyone help me out? Both with the effect and the portrait sizes?

post-104624-0-23179600-1525853459_thumb.jpg

Once again, I wanted to thank Aramintai for watercolouring my Dwarven female portraits. I'm using it now for my first playthrough, and it really fits for my cool mountain dwarf lass (which Obsidian said was the least played race + gender combo of them all in PoE1 acc. to telemetry).

Madness! How can anyone dislike the dwarves?

Yet another race shafted in the portrait department. *sob*

• Like 1

A few hours into the game, I've already heard insulting comments about Dwarves, so they aren't very popular in the Deadfire archipelago either.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Madness! How can anyone dislike the dwarves?

Yet another race shafted in the portrait department. *sob*

I don't think it has anything to do with dislike. I just think people in general prefer to play other races ahead of the dwarves.

Di verus? Madiccho! Postenago!

...and a bunch of other outraged words!

A few hours into the game, I've already heard insulting comments about Dwarves, so they aren't very popular in the Deadfire archipelago either.

I'm getting the feeling that's less of an in-universe thing and more of an emanation of Josh's dislike of dwarves as a fantasy race concept. But that's me going out on a limb.

And I still like Josh.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 2

So I've never done this before, but how do I make a watercolor version of a portrait? I got one I'd like to use in the right dimensions for _lg and _sm ones, but no watercolor versions.

Here's a guide: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97149-tutorial-watercolor-portraits-in-the-gimp/

Thanks a lot, now I can make a watercolor version! When my lunch break starts that is...

Minor nitpick, but I just want to get something off my chest:

There is one new male orlan portrait in the game. One.

Reeeeeeeee

That's more than the pale elves got for either gender. At least the orlans are all relatively different. There's only one male pale elf portrait with a beard, and his ears look like they were stolen from a Star Trek convention. All the others are just different takes on the long-haired elf archetype.

I'm glad you found it suitable. Personally, I'm very glad how my custom portrait turned out as well, makes me enjoy the game even more. Funny thing, it was one the first I did but it still turned out one of the best looking.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 3

Anyone?

I've been trying and failing to add the water colour/parchment effect to this portrait (using all the tutorials avaliable here and else where) and so far I'm really not having any luck. Could anyone help me out? Both with the effect and the portrait sizes?

Anyone?

First of all, you need to download the official parchment background:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91743-portraits/?p=1967609

Then if you have Photoshop you can try doing this:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91743-portraits/?p=1956411

• Like 1