I doubt it, preloads are heavily encrypted by necessity.

Do you think they will be easy to find when we pre-download the game?

Pre Load?  No.  Full game release?  Yeah, it will take all of 5 seconds.  They are stored in the exact same filepath they were for Eternity 1, just the parent folder is now Deadfire.  Portrait wise nothing changed, except for the inclusion of the two water color versions.  Same file path, same naming conventions, same resolution, same PNG recommended, yada yada.

Don't know why I asked, that is kind of obvious lol

And I won't look because I don't want to be spoiled. :facepalm:

sign.jpg

attachicon.gifTrk83Xn-MDx_FLo0sAGQ2_XqqL0gtQWBPNgW8pLTxx4.jpg

another Critical Role portraits revealed, the next one is scheduled on May 1st. 

Not sure if this is a man or a woman (leftmost Critical Role portrait). I think it is supposed to be a woman based on the original character and the accessories but when I look at that face, I just see a man for some reason. Everything below the eyes is a man's head. (To preempt certain comments, I think Maia Rua's portrait is beautiful and feminine.)

Yeah she has a very bifauxnen look. That'll actually work really well for one of my girls though.

So, I don't wanna nag but I think I've been forgotten x)

Hey everyone, long time lurker who decided to finally make an account for totally selfish reasons *g*

I've been playing around with gimp and the online editor Aramintai posted in the last thread, trying to do my own watercolor portraits, but I just can't get anywhere close to the level as some of you guys. So, I have two questions:

1. Are the images I'm using even suitable for this kind of stuff? My results were always either too light or blurry.

jAuxomB.png    mkRte10.png

2. If they are suitable, would one of you be willing to spare the time to look into 'watercoloring' them? I understand that we're only 10 days from release but I thought I'd just try anyway.

Either way, cheers!

Any chance someone can still take a shot at this? Link of the original image.

This is a pretty cool portrait aeonc, hopefully someone will be able to help you out. 

I'm still struggling with the intricacy of turning a perfectly fine custom portrait into a somewhat passable watercolour thingy with very little success if I dare say so.  :sweat:

• Like 1

MDI8QgN.pngpQZ71xt.png

9BLdWQ5.png

This is a pretty cool portrait aeonc, hopefully someone will be able to help you out. 

I'm still struggling with the intricacy of turning a perfectly fine custom portrait into a somewhat passable watercolour thingy with very little success if I dare say so.  :sweat:

The way I work on the watercolor ones, which is by all means not perfect, is:

1. Adding the two layers, one the character and one the watercolor background. I crop the character model out by using an eraser.

2. Choosing the multiply option for the layer merge tool on paint.net

3. Tuning the brightness and contrast

4. Then poster filter (Photoshop) or ink drawing in paint.net (not as good as photoshop's filter, but I refuse to buy photoshop :p). How it comes out depends on the style of the drawing, sometimes the sharpen tool from paint.net helps add definition to at least give enough material for the poster filter to do its magic.

5. Then cleaning up with the stamp tool. Extra unwanted lines or over exaggeration of dark circles.

(1-3 I do cause it's the easiest for me in terms of matching the color of the character to the background)

There are some really talented ppl on this forum and I think previous pages in the potrait forum give some tips :} I learned a lot from trying to emulate their style and approach for my character potraits.

• Like 9

"People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" ~Wynne, Dragon age Origins

MDI8QgN.pngpQZ71xt.png

9BLdWQ5.png

The way I work on the watercolor ones, which is by all means not perfect, is:

1. Adding the two layers, one the character and one the watercolor background. I crop the character model out by using an eraser.

2. Choosing the multiply option for the layer merge tool on paint.net

3. Tuning the brightness and contrast

4. Then poster filter (Photoshop) or ink drawing in paint.net (not as good as photoshop's filter, but I refuse to buy photoshop :p). How it comes out depends on the style of the drawing, sometimes the sharpen tool from paint.net helps add definition to at least give enough material for the poster filter to do its magic.

5. Then cleaning up with the stamp tool. Extra unwanted lines or over exaggeration of dark circles.

(1-3 I do cause it's the easiest for me in terms of matching the color of the character to the background)

There are some really talented ppl on this forum and I think previous pages in the potrait forum give some tips :} I learned a lot from trying to emulate their style and approach for my character potraits.

Thanks for the pointers, this is really helpful especially as I've been stumbling my way through pain.net (I'm no artist so I'm not investing in photoshop either). ;)

I've been trying to apply these guidelines to the picture I've been using for my last guy in PoE:

2nm7s.jpg

I've actually found the original online: https://img00.deviantart.net/e235/i/2013/228/6/6/geena_by_omupied-d6iek8y.jpg

(I didn't know it was from devianart as I must have nabbed it from a portrait collection for Baldur's Gate)

In any case here is what I've managed to accomplish with paint.net (it's far from perfect and it's certainly a bit rough but it looks serviceable enough and will have to do):

post-200586-0-18800100-1525419529_thumb.png

post-200586-0-09165500-1525419536.png

• Like 3

Thanks for the pointers, this is really helpful especially as I've been stumbling my way through pain.net (I'm no artist so I'm not investing in photoshop either). ;)

I've been trying to apply these guidelines to the picture I've been using for my last guy in PoE:

2nm7s.jpg

I've actually found the original online: https://img00.deviantart.net/e235/i/2013/228/6/6/geena_by_omupied-d6iek8y.jpg

(I didn't know it was from devianart as I must have nabbed it from a portrait collection for Baldur's Gate)

In any case here is what I've managed to accomplish with paint.net (it's far from perfect and it's certainly a bit rough but it looks serviceable enough and will have to do):

I think that the watercolor conversion you did looks amazing!!! :D

• Like 1

"People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" ~Wynne, Dragon age Origins

I hope I am not too late to seek some assistance. I wish to have a portrait watercolored and wonder if some kind person could help me with that. This is the portrait in question,  made by Ben Savory also known as Dropdeadcoheed on Deviantart

0seFr1r.png

I hope it is big enough to be cropped to fit in with the other portraits. It worked perfectly in Pillars 1 but I don't know if resolutions have changed for Deadfire.

Here's my take on it:

post-168965-0-59744300-1525456988_thumb.png post-168965-0-18194800-1525456977.png

Also I thought I'd share portraits I'm going to be using myself.

post-168965-0-43334600-1525460123_thumb.png post-168965-0-95734000-1525460132.png post-168965-0-91649700-1525460155_thumb.png post-168965-0-73498700-1525460165.png

Edited by Eivenne
  • Like 3

I would appreciate it if anybody is willing to do a watercolour of these portraits before the game comes out :)

us323q4.pngiTuCcoq.png

h1ENliv.pngiJQBxuj.png

I gave it a shot but i was only able to get through one since my carpal tunnel is starting to act up. 

Thanks mate I am pleased with that :)

Here is one I just did using a combination of MS Paint & Paint.net. I think it looks ok? I listed what I did below for anyone who wants to try for themselves. If anyone has any further advice. I'll take it.

post-178428-0-83966500-1525471981_thumb.pngpost-178428-0-29203600-1525471995.png

post-178428-0-41173000-1525472076_thumb.pngpost-178428-0-88646900-1525472087.png

post-178428-0-33584600-1525473415_thumb.png

Instructions:

Open up image in MS Paint:

Select - Free Form - Select All - Select Transparent Selection 

Outline image then click crop (you don't have to be super exact) - Use eraser if necessary to remove any unwanted background - save as PNG file

Open Paint.net (free program)

Layers - Import from File - POE2 Background - ESC

Layers - Layer Properties - Blending Mode:Multiply

Image - Import From File - Select the cropped image - Adjust the image so it covers the background then - Layers - Layer Properties - Blending Mode:Multiply - ESC

From here you can use filters in the Adjustment\Effects to lighten the image\take sharper edges off etc...

I have primarily just used: Adjustments - Brightness\Contrast - Brightness to 40-50 or so to lighten up image and then contrast to 25-40, depending on the image

Effects - Blurs - Surface Blur - Often the standard Radius:6\Threshold 15 setttings are enough to soften up the image, otherwise I adjust the threshold from 10-25 depending.

There are all sorts of other things you can try, some of which I have messed around with. I just wanted something "fairly" quick and easy, and I have little\no expertise in these types of programs, but I think it works?

Once your done adjusting the image - ESC - Tool -  Rectangle select - Select just the image\background area - Image - Crop to selection - then resize it if necessary - Image - resize - W:90 H:141 for convo & W:76 H:96 for si

File\Save - Make sure you save it as a PNG file

• Like 1

Guys, I'm happy with my custom backer portrait (my forum profile pic), but not too impressed with how the watercolour has turned out, at least in the backer.

I used to contact Katrina re portrait issue.  Who would be the best contact now re portrait/backer queries.  See image below to see why:

hPyjbXf.jpg

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.