E74m1q0.png  nNr5n0Q.png

That's gonna look too dark.

I concur.  I am bored I will take a crack at it and post later.

EDIT:

Okay here is what I slapped together.  I admit it is not my best work but meh.

26662710227_3fea72eeff_o.png

If you would like the images just let me know and I will post them.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

Can I have a watercolor version of the modificated portrait I made, please?

f5X4XzI.pngWpKwSnd.png

That's a weird looking portrait. Like a slimey/glossy..doll thing. Could be some godlike material if modified.

Anyways:

aiOmUnX.png3gX2G9x.png

Eaw85Wz.jpg

FWQa5DV.jpg

• Like 1

E74m1q0.png  nNr5n0Q.png

What would you do to make it lighter? Your technique seems to result in portraits that match the existing ones closely.

Because I check portraits I edit against existing ones in game files. 

I made a post about how I do it in the previous thread:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91743-portraits/?p=1956411

Explaining it further, if a portrait doesn't match I play with head layer's brightness/saturation/contrast. And if that isn't enough I merge all layers including the background so that nothing interferes, get a skin color sample out of some official watercolor portrait and then use good old brush tool + hue/color/normal with varying intensity percentages and paint the skin to have a better matching color. This color sampling technique also works to paint better looking colors on other parts of the portrait.

• Like 3

E74m1q0.png  nNr5n0Q.png

What would you do to make it lighter? Your technique seems to result in portraits that match the existing ones closely.

Here is a 34 points brighter version of this img.

gEPnR3X.png  6fFHwxm.png

You gotta work with layers, otherwise your whole picture, including background, is modified. Now your background is too bright and won't match official portraits.

And the head is still too dark. If you don't have the beta to check against, you can still look over here, for example:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Category:Pillars_of_Eternity_2_images_-_Portraits

There are some official watercolor portraits. Aloth's and Vector's mugs are good enough examples.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1

E74m1q0.png  nNr5n0Q.png

Explaining it further, if a portrait doesn't match I play with head layer's brightness/saturation/contrast. And if that isn't enough I merge all layers including the background so that nothing interferes, get a skin color sample out of some official watercolor portrait and then use good old brush tool + hue/color/normal with varying intensity percentages and paint the skin to have a better matching color. This color sampling technique also works to paint better looking colors on other parts of the portrait.

Thanks. I've been giving it a bit of a crack this afternoon following that guide but I am a total noob at photoshop. Turning this and this into this. The bit that is killing me is getting the skin tones and light levels to match the existing ones since I don't have beta access to check against the ones in there. The blur tool seems key but I'm still trying to work out which details you want to go and which to keep. If you reconsider giving this one a go let me know hahah. 

• Like 1

E74m1q0.png  nNr5n0Q.png

Here is a 34 points brighter version of this img.

gEPnR3X.png  6fFHwxm.png

You gotta work with layers, otherwise your whole picture, including background, is modified. Now your background is too bright and won't match official portraits.

And the head is still too dark. If you don't have the beta to check against, you can still look over here, for example:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Category:Pillars_of_Eternity_2_images_-_Portraits

There are some official watercolor portraits. Aloth's and Vector's mugs are good enough examples.

As i said, i do indeed got no access to beta, so it's abit hard to guess brightness/contrast etc.

Im redoing the img atm, my photoshop crashed and i have no saved file,so those are just temporary.

E74m1q0.png  nNr5n0Q.png

Thanks. I've been giving it a bit of a crack this afternoon following that guide but I am a total noob at photoshop. Turning this and this into this. The bit that is killing me is getting the skin tones and light levels to match the existing ones since I don't have beta access to check against the ones in there. The blur tool seems key but I'm still trying to work out which details you want to go and which to keep. If you reconsider giving this one a go let me know hahah. 

You need to use Edge Refining tool, to make your img borders look smooth and not too pixelated.

I got no beta access aswell, so can't check. Imho just make it look the best you can and it won't matter that much if you're a tone off.

Aslong as it looks good ingame)) but if you're a perfectionist, just save your work as psd and play with tones once you got full game.

A bit off-topic but I was wondering if any of the new player character portraits have been revealed yet (aside from the beta, don't have it).

yes, check out the announcement forum, there is a post explaining some details, including new portraits.

Link https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/96803-critical-role-meet-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire/

Edited by jaganntha
  • Like 1

A bit off-topic but I was wondering if any of the new player character portraits have been revealed yet (aside from the beta, don't have it).

yes, check out the announcement forum, there is a post explaining some details, including new portraits.

Link https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/96803-critical-role-meet-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire/

Thanks! I was referring to player character portraits though :)

• Like 1

To be honest I can't speak to how Armentai does it specifically, but making one of these portraits into a watercolor variant that comes anywhere close to matching what is in game is serious work.  The portrait I use for my avatar here took no less than 11 layers, multiple small hand adjustments with paint brush tools, more color corrections than I want to recount, and tons of putting it in game then coming back out and tweaking it "just a bit more" until it had that perfect match.

The one I did yesterday I feel I did "in a hurry" and it still took me around 3.5 hours.  These are not made by slapping down a water color filter, adding some transparency, then plopping the parchment texture into the background.

EDIT: Oh yeah someone did request the water color variant I did yesterday in PM, and I gave them links but may as well put them here too just in case anyone else wants them.

39724308680_6365a0a69b_o.png   

39724308750_a3d2539f81_o.png

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 2