Chanter: recovery, dexterity, chanting speed, invocation cast times

After a brief exchange with NerdCommando about one of his POTD Deadfire builds, I was wondering if anyone on the forums has any concrete data or first-hand knowledge of the following.

(I apologise for being a lazy **** and not simply installing the beta myself but I strongly dislike experiencing beta content)

Let's say we have a chanter with 3 dexterity (-35% I believe?) wearing plate armour (-50%), and using a weapon modal that affects recovery period, say -10%. How would this affect:

1) chanting speed

2) invocation cast times

3) recovery period after casting an invocation

And:

4) does the recovery period following an invocation casting prevent the chanter from chanting during that period?

Cheers

1. No, not affected

2. Only the low DEX

3. Recovery will suffer from it all - except weapon modal (that only affects weapon attacks)

4. Yes. Chanting pause after invocation. So as an active invocation user you don't want to be a slow turtle unless you use fast invocations with short recovery.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1. No, not affected

2. Only the low DEX

3. Recovery will suffer from it all - except weapon modal (that only affects weapon attacks)

4. Yes. Chanting pause after invocation. So as an active invocation user you don't want to be a slow turtle unless you use fast invocations with short recovery.

So it's not paused while channeling the Invocation just the recovery after?

• Like 1

Both good questions.

I didn't look at that extensively but I think casting the invocation doesn't stop chanting. I'm pretty sure.

I believe only invocations' recovery pauses chanting. Weapon recovery and martial ability recovery (such as FoD, Wounding Shots and so on) does not pause it.

I'm not 100% sure about spells though (for example from multiclassing with a wizard or so). Will test when I'm at home...

• Like 1

Both good questions.

I didn't look at that extensively but I think casting the invocation doesn't stop chanting. I'm pretty sure.

I believe only invocations' recovery pauses chanting. Weapon recovery and martial ability recovery (such as FoD, Wounding Shots and so on) does not pause it.

I'm not 100% sure about spells though (for example from multiclassing with a wizard or so). Will test when I'm at home...

Awesome, thanks

• Like 1

Ok, now I sat down and tried a chanter/wizard in order to find out what pauses his chants. Did lower DEX to 1, than raised it to 30 and so on. Also used weapon and shield modals that affect recovery and switched armor types. This is what I found out:

1) Chanting speed is not affected by DEX and/or recovery. It is only affected by Troubadour's Brisk Recitation.

2) Invocation cast times are affected by DEX and universal speed buffs (from abilites such as Frenzy or drugs or potions), not armor or weapon modals or dual wiedling or styles.

3) The general recovery after an invocation (you can't attack) is affected by armor, DEX and also speed buffs - but not weapon modals.

4) unlike PoE, the special chanting pause after casting an invocation is not affected by DEX, armor penalty or whatever. It's always the same: round about 2 or 3 seconds pause after an invocation happen. You stop chanting as soon as the invocation goes off and after 2 to 3(?) seconds you resume. When I set DEX to 1 it had no effect on the pause. When I raised it to 30 it had no effect. When I used an invocation with a long recovery or one with a short recovery - it had no effect on the chanting pause. It seems to be a entirely fixed amount of time. Hooray for turtles then! ;) I learned something new today.

5) Casting an invocation (or anything else like spells) does not pause chanting. When the casting animation is done (and as soon as the invocation goes off) the pause happens.

6) Chanting only has that special pause after an invocation. Every other ability I tested (spells, FoD and so on) don't cause that pause. You can cast Fireballs without interrupting your chants. It's like Mongolian Throat Singing. ;)

What a mess. Hope that helps. 

• Like 4

Ok, now I sat down and tried a chanter/wizard in order to find out what pauses his chants. Did lower DEX to 1, than raised it to 30 and so on. Also used weapon and shield modals that affect recovery and switched armor types. This is what I found out:

1) Chanting speed is not affected by DEX and/or recovery. It is only affected by Troubadour's Brisk Recitation.

2) Invocation cast times are affected by DEX and universal speed buffs (from abilites such as Frenzy or drugs or potions), not armor or weapon modals or dual wiedling or styles.

3) The general recovery after an invocation (you can't attack) is affected by armor, DEX and also speed buffs - but not weapon modals.

4) unlike PoE, the special chanting pause after casting an invocation is not affected by DEX, armor penalty or whatever. It's always the same: round about 2 or 3 seconds pause after an invocation happen. You stop chanting as soon as the invocation goes off and after 2 to 3(?) seconds you resume. When I set DEX to 1 it had no effect on the pause. When I raised it to 30 it had no effect. When I used an invocation with a long recovery or one with a short recovery - it had no effect on the chanting pause. It seems to be a entirely fixed amount of time. Hooray for turtles then! ;) I learned something new today.

5) Casting an invocation (or anything else like spells) does not pause chanting. When the casting animation is done (and as soon as the invocation goes off) the pause happens.

6) Chanting only has that special pause after an invocation. Every other ability I tested (spells, FoD and so on) don't cause that pause. You can cast Fireballs without interrupting your chants. It's like Mongolian Throat Singing. ;)

Appreciate the testing.

I was wondering how people were keeping up perma skeletons with Beckoner because I was basing it off the idea that you stopped chanting while casting Invocations. You do during the recovery but the recovery is a lot shorter then the cast.

4) unlike PoE, the special chanting pause after casting an invocation is not affected by DEX, armor penalty or whatever. It's always the same: round about 2 or 3 seconds pause after an invocation happen. You stop chanting as soon as the invocation goes off and after 2 to 3(?) seconds you resume. When I set DEX to 1 it had no effect on the pause. When I raised it to 30 it had no effect. When I used an invocation with a long recovery or one with a short recovery - it had no effect on the chanting pause. It seems to be a entirely fixed amount of time. Hooray for turtles then! ;) I learned something new today.

Wow. Thanks man. That's a lot to process.

I think ultimately this shows that Dexterity is of limited use at best to a pure chanter that does just invocations.

It's of more use to a hybrid character but even then, I think it's of less value than, say, Might.

Edited by Yosharian

OK, so you mean dex is not so importent for a chanter?

As my first main char I wanted to use a kind wayfarer/beckoner with stats: mig 16, con 10, dex 16, int 18, per 10, res 8.

I want to play on normal or hard, not PotD and I don´t want to dump stats.

I thought that I should have some dex because casting times of summons are long compared to offensive invocations.

I am not sure about the stats, only int is very importent for summon duration, AoE of your auras and chants and linger time. I think most damage will be done by your summons if you buff them well and their damage does not depend on your stats, only on your level.

If DEX is important for your chanter depends on what he wants to do besides chanting. If he uses fast cast/recovery invocations then low DEX wouldn't hurt him much I think. With long casts such as most summons you might want higher DEX or the casting will take forever (see Phantom with 6 sec base casting duration).

• Like 1