Introducing the Seafarer's Scavenger Hunt!

That’s wonderful and all but completely misses why.

Obsidian’s explanation: we found out when it was way too late to pivot that GOG doesn’t support what we are doing.

Your explanation: Obsidian intentionally did this because they love Steam and hate GOG.

One of these sucks, but definitely maps onto life in IT. The other is a conspiracy theory.

• Like 3

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

From this we deduce that the deployment was built entirely around Steam with zero consideration for GoG. 

This isn't a 'conspiracy'. This is pretty much the current state of affairs. 

GOG simply does not support gimmicky things like the Deadfire Scavenger Hunt.  It's not a technical limitation on their end or Obsidian's, it's a philosophical thing.  GOG curates content that is whole and complete and does not rely on web tie-ins to activate, redeem, or manage.  The scavenger hunt was a cool promo, but it doesn't mesh well with the way GOG wants to do business.  

At this point, the promo items can, and should, simply be a free DLC pack on all marketplaces.  If we ever get an official solution for GOG users, I'd expect that's the form we'd see.

But in the meantime, <check out this post>.  Download the file, unzip it, drop the contents in the gamedata directory, and you're set.  

I'm also a GOG user, and I spearheaded much of the Scavenger Hunt in the first place.  It's a little disappointing that GOG didn't get an integrated solution like steam, but there's nothing to be bent out-of-shape about.  The community found a solution months ago.

• Like 5

Well then your last post doesn’t make very much sense, does it? You’re clearly invested in the narrative that Obsidian is intentionally out to screw GOG users, so enjoy that.

No I'm not. Because I never said that. But you'd know that I've you'd read (and understood) anything I said.

At this point, the promo items can, and should, simply be a free DLC pack on all marketplaces.

Yeah I said this numerous times. Don't get it why that position is so hard to understand.

I wouldn't even have said anything, if people weren't so determined to make this about something it's not. It's weird. Also there's always the thing that this file doesn't necessarily have to work forever. Every patch brings a chance that it stops working. That's why an official thing is just a more elegant (and permanent) solution. The items aren't even that important, what bugs me more than a lack of them, is the fragmentation of the various stores, it's always a bad idea. They managed to make the price the same everywhere. :p

• Like 2

Every patch brings a chance that it stops working.

No, not really. Each item is a distinct file. The only way it would “stop working” is if they included some update in a patch (unlikely) and all that would mean is that you would continue to have the old thing while everyone with the patch would have the new thing (until someone package it up for GOG users). Edited by Achilles
  • Like 2

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Every patch brings a chance that it stops working.

No, not really. Each item is a distinct file. The only way it would “stop working” is if they included some update in a patch (unlikely) and all that would mean is that you would continue to have the old thing while everyone with the patch would have the new thing (until someone package it up for GOG users).

All true.  For anyone that cares, here's why:

When you have the steam version of Deadfire, the scavenger DLC packs add the following files into exported/design/gamedata :

promo_scavhunt_banquet.gamedatabundle

promo_scavhunt_cannon.gamedatabundle

promo_scavhunt_captaincosmo.gamedatabundle

promo_scavhunt_cinder.gamedatabundle

promo_scavhunt_cloak.gamedatabundle

promo_scavhunt_goldenring.gamedatabundle

promo_scavhunt_grog.gamedatabundle

promo_scavhunt_lantern.gamedatabundle

promo_scavhunt_sails.gamedatabundle

promo_scavhunt_stinky.gamedatabundle

All the assets for the DLC items are already in the base game, and the above files are simple one-line bits of code that tell Deadfire to drop them into party inventory.

When you install the fan-made solution in the same place:

Scavhunt_items.gamedatabundle

It is a single "add all these at once" edition of the Scavenger hunt scripts.  It is functionally no different aside from one file giving ten rewards versus ten files giving one reward.  Neither of the two methods modify existing game files, which means they will not be patched out or broken by future updates.

Worst-case scenario, installing the fan solution now, and then possibly installing the official solution at a later date, you'll just end up with double the rewards.  Neither of the two options conflict with each other, or base game files.

Even if you delete any of the above gamedatabundles, it's not like the game will take away the rewards.  Once your party has them, you don't need the files again until you start a new game.

• Like 6

So its tied to achievements. *sigh* So its either get the items, or be able to play around with the console? Not a fan of the implementation.

Or download the files and drag them to the directory, as EG mentioned earlier

Unlocking the merchant costs very little iirc - I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to play through the game without earning the necessary points fairly early on.

I suppose it's frustrating to have to start a new game, but given the limitations of GoG and non-dlc content, it's probably the best implementation save for dropping all of the items into every player's inventory from the start (which, given the novelty-item nature of some of them, I would find immersion-breaking).

Future players are unlikely to know about the scavenger hunt, so this will actually have an equalizing effect across platforms as all players on Steam, GoG, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch will now access the items the same way. From the standpoint of long-term implementation, adding the items to an unlockable vendor makes the most sense for everyone.

• Like 4

I suppose it's frustrating to have to start a new game, but given the limitations of GoG and non-dlc content, it's probably the best implementation save for dropping all of the items into every player's inventory from the start (which, given the novelty-item nature of some of them, I would find immersion-breaking).

I'm not seeing how GOG cannot wrap a file or two into a single "DLC".

Pillars of Bugothas

I'm not seeing how GOG cannot wrap a file or two into a single "DLC".

I think its more the case that Obsidian wanted the items to be "unlocked" rather than given to the players. Steam players had to find codes scattered across the internet, GoG players now can unlock them with Berath's blessings.

• Like 1

I think its more the case that Obsidian wanted the items to be "unlocked" rather than given to the players. Steam players had to find codes scattered across the internet, GoG players now can unlock them with Berath's blessings.

Which kinda sucks for those of us who only play once. Well, fortunately, there is alternative solution.

• Like 2

Pillars of Bugothas

• 5 weeks later...

It's an issue with drm-free content. Unlock mechanics are a known issue of drm-free content because you cannot control the unlock using an account otherwise it would be drm. But the simple solution is to implement an unlock mechanics by unlock files, which has already been cleverly done for the steam version. What remains to do is to add the unlock files as dlc for those that earned them. Maybe GOG is refusing to add a dlc that cannot be bought. Still, is something Obsidian should have known before deciding to publish on GOG. They at least should provide an official statement about the reason it is still not possible. 

There are other easy way, however, like adding an unlock code instead of an unlock file. They only need to update the games and everyone could unlock the contents with the proper code. The code could be a commond code or something like the hash of users email if they really want to control who access the content. So solution exists. Given the game is still supported an new contents are added, there is no reason not to fix that.

• 1 month later...

Maybe GOG is refusing to add a dlc that cannot be bought. Still, is something Obsidian should have known before deciding to publish on GOG. They at least should provide an official statement about the reason it is still not possible. 

There are other easy way, however, like adding an unlock code instead of an unlock file. They only need to update the games and everyone could unlock the contents with the proper code.

The DLC "Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - Scavenger Hunt Rewards" (product ID 1769589278) was uploaded to GOG servers since game version v1.1.1.0064 Release v1 2018-06-20.

https://www.gogdb.org/product/1788509829/build/51322708397733622

Only that Obsidian did not let us GOG game owners to download it, to this day.

They only need to set it as owned for all GOG game owners.

Edited by kyliesuperstar
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The DLC "Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - Scavenger Hunt Rewards" (product ID 1769589278) was uploaded to GOG servers since game version v1.1.1.0064 Release v1 2018-06-20.

https://www.gogdb.org/product/1788509829/build/51322708397733622

Only that Obsidian did not let us GOG game owners to download it, to this day.

They only need to set it as owned for all GOG game owners.

Wut?  Geez, you're right.  It's even still up-to-date with the 3.1.1 build.

All the scavenger hunt files are in the DLC manifest..., someone just needs to make the package public.

• Like 1