Introducing the Seafarer's Scavenger Hunt!

• 2 weeks later...

Wowsers.

How hard is it to provide access to the content which is clearly *already* there? 

How do the GOG backers *not* interpret this as anything other than what it is? 

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

Wowsers.

How hard is it to provide access to the content which is clearly *already* there? 

So what is it exactly? 

Obsidian getting paid by steam to screw gog users? Obsidian having a personal grudge against gog? Obsidian hating polish people?

I am really surprised that there is still no support for gog for those items, but I wont try to figure out what the reason for it exactly is. After s long, another free DLC would be enough I think. 

Wowsers.

So what is it exactly? 

Obsidian getting paid by steam to screw gog users? Obsidian having a personal grudge against gog? Obsidian hating polish people?

Crab people.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Personally, I just grabbed the file that some nice person posted here and 3 seconds later I had all the scavenger items

The problem with that is, it could stop working at any time. Every patch/update could kill it. And it's less elegant to put in extra files each time.

So what is it exactly? 

Obsidian getting paid by steam to screw gog users?

Kind of? I'm gonna say the reason is most likely that the scavenger hunt is a versus evil publisher thing. They (Obsidian) are probably contractually obliged to only have this on Steam. That might also explain why some Obs dev once talked about MAYBE putting this on GOG, because they just weren't aware of the legal stuff (not their area of expertise). If you check out the Steam and GOG store pages, then you'll notice that GOG lists Obsidian as both publisher and developer, while Steam has versus evil as publisher.

I even remember remember the tweets from versus evil, promoting Pillars II before release. They exclusively talked about buying the game on Steam, as if GOG didn't exist. I'm guessing versus evil only gets money if people buy the game on Steam and the game is only on GOG because Obsidian themselves put it there too.

Releasing these items as an extra DLC on GOG is so simple, that Obsidian would have done it by now, if there wasn't another reason stopping them to do so.

So what is it exactly? 

Obsidian getting paid by steam to screw gog users?

Kind of? I'm gonna say the reason is most likely that the scavenger hunt is a versus evil publisher thing. They (Obsidian) are probably contractually obliged to only have this on Steam. That might also explain why some Obs dev once talked about MAYBE putting this on GOG, because they just weren't aware of the legal stuff (not their area of expertise). If you check out the Steam and GOG store pages, then you'll notice that GOG lists Obsidian as both publisher and developer, while Steam has versus evil as publisher.

I even remember remember the tweets from versus evil, promoting Pillars II before release. They exclusively talked about buying the game on Steam, as if GOG didn't exist. I'm guessing versus evil only gets money if people buy the game on Steam and the game is only on GOG because Obsidian themselves put it there too.

Releasing these items as an extra DLC on GOG is so simple, that Obsidian would have done it by now, if there wasn't another reason stopping them to do so.

Or we could just apply Hanlon's Razor, instead of indulging in baseless conspiracy fantasies.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

So what is it exactly? 

A pretty clear and unambiguous message around which platform they've elected to favour in future? 

As someone who backed because this was sold as a means to retain independence and combat this *very* idiocy, I have to now assume that all future projects will carry this taint and therefore will not be considered as worthwhile backing. :/ 

• Like 1

What about now?

So what is it exactly?

A pretty clear and unambiguous message around which platform they've elected to favour in future?

As someone who backed because this was sold as a means to retain independence and combat this *very* idiocy, I have to now assume that all future projects will carry this taint and therefore will not be considered as worthwhile backing. :/

Step 1: Do a thing

Step 2: Find out that one of the available platforms makes it virtually impossible for patrons using that platform to use your thing

Step 3: Try to figure out how to get those customers your thing while everyone blames you and not the platform (creating increasingly elaborate conspiracy theories re: your intentions and practices along the way)

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

So what is it exactly?

Step 1: Do a thing

Step 2: Find out that one of the available platforms makes it virtually impossible for patrons using that platform to use your thing

Step 3: Try to figure out how to get those customers your thing while everyone blames you and not the platform (creating increasingly elaborate conspiracy theories re: your intentions and practices along the way)

inorite

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Has Obsidian stated anywhere, that GOG is to blame? Honest question, if so, I have missed it.

If Obsidian didn't state that, then this is as much a conspiracy theory, as any other attempt at an explanation. Because it's news to me, that GOG stops a dev from publishing a DLC on their platform. Furthermore, if that was the case, then why does Obsidian have zero problems with releasing all these other DLCs on GOG, like Mirke or the hair stuff? :D Na man, that doesn't add up. :p

They have, not only here but in the Pathfinder forums after it became apparent that they wouldn’t be able to release the game on GOG for the same reason.

GOG is extremely anal retentive about anything that it classifies as “non-game content”

• Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Seafarer's Scavenger Hunt isn't DLC. You have to enter codes in a page to unlock it. Had you actually paid attention to any of the communication from Obsidian you would probably know this. Not sure what you think going off half-****ed is going to get you.

Yeah it's not DLC currently, but it could be - that's what it was about from the first post, weren't you paying attention? Hell, it could be simply added via a patch. It's not a big deal to do it. And there are zero things on GOG preventing any of this. Obs could simply officially add the file that's floating around here anyway. And yeah, it would take them barely 30 minutes to do it. Probably less though.

Well then your last post doesn’t make very much sense, does it? You’re clearly invested in the narrative that Obsidian is intentionally out to screw GOG users, so enjoy that.

Well then your last post doesn’t make very much sense, does it? You’re clearly invested in the narrative that Obsidian is intentionally out to screw GOG users, so enjoy that.

Your anger issues not withstanding:

i) The content is there.

ii) The ability to enable it is well within the dev's grasp. It's their application. 

iii) They haven't done so.

This has squat to do with platform limitations. Your internal narrative is the one that's flawed. Maybe take a deep breath before responding?

Emotion!=fact

• Like 2

What about now?

ii) The ability to enable it is well within dev's grasp. It's their application.

GOG is Obsidian’s app? The game belongs to Obsidian but the platform is GOGs and Obsidian has to adhere to their terms of use.

Emotion!=fact

Indeed ;)
  • Like 1

ii) The ability to enable it is well within dev's grasp. It's their application.

GOG is Obsidian’s app? The game belongs to Obsidian but the platform is GOGs and Obsidian has to adhere to their terms of use.

Ha. Cute.

As you very well know, the in-game content is *in game*. Not "in-platform". 

Try and skew this as you will, the facts remain pretty darn clear. Obsidian pegged the content to Steam, not GoG.

They only started to look at GoG when the muttering started, made some placatary gestures then went radio silent.

All of this paints a picture which has yet to be refuted by Obsidian. :) 

What about now?

That’s the best feature of a conspiracy theory; you can make it look like whatever you want.
  • Like 2

That’s the best feature of a conspiracy theory; you can make it look like whatever you want.

Rational deduction from observed behaviors is a conspiracy theory now?

Adorable. 

Did the process work flawlessly on Steam from the beginning? Yes.

Did the process work at all on GoG from the beginning? No.

From this we deduce that the deployment was built entirely around Steam with zero consideration for GoG. 

This isn't a 'conspiracy'. This is pretty much the current state of affairs. 

What about now?