They would have to make each item into a mini-DLC then?

I think they already are?

At least they are split up into more than 1 file, from that Steam info someone posted the other day (and I can't seem to find now).

As I understood, not quite.

Steam has these "promotional items" thing. Such that devs can award the scavenger items, without creating actual DLCs which would be listed under the "Downloadable Content".

P.S. Eric from Obsidian wrote:

Unfortunately, GOG isn't set up for promotions like this the way Steam is. However, we're looking into what we can do for GOG users and hope to have something soon!

Source: link

Edited by MaxQuest

Why can't they just set up a site where we log in with our Obsidian account - log our codes found - then unlock a gog-code for DLC items? (I appreciate that if there are many items that might be a lot of work). (Given that codes are just getting shared on a forum thread anyway, is there a chance of anyone not getting all the same codes as everyone else? - just give us the items :p )

Having a fun game before launch is a good idea ...just a bit disappointing that backers who prefer gog can't join in (I know Obs didn't deliberately decide to exclude gog backers and that this is a steam 'feature' that they're taking advantage of)

GOG doesn’t support this kind of content linking. The issue is GOG, not Obsidian.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Was hoping that kickstarter and sfuff got us away from the super-fragmented pre-order/bonus culture of AAA+ devs (play character creater; dlc. Play mobile app; dlc. Etc. etc.) and everyone would just get the full game.

Am I the only one not liking this extra DLC for busywork thing?

• Like 3

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Was hoping that kickstarter and sfuff got us away from the super-fragmented pre-order/bonus culture of AAA+ devs (play character creater; dlc. Play mobile app; dlc. Etc. etc.) and everyone would just get the full game.

Not a biggie. Except of a feeling of being potentially screwed over, if gog version wont get access to those, I find it fairly harmless. The content is skippable and it doesn't require me to instal any crap on any of my devices. I am still trying to figure out what Obsidian (or versus evil) gets out of that. Publicity? I am not sure if it will get attention of people who aren't closely following the game.

That 2012 era of "not liking publisher so we crowdfund" was just words from many as they ended up striking deals with them anyway. Now they can have players fund their games AND have a publisher for extra boost. Win-win. 

Anyway, these dlcs are mostly cosmetic/minor stuff as I see, nothing serious or crucial so I don't care at all. I'm pretty sure there's gonna be serious/meaty content (paid) expansions/dlc in the future and hope it's gonna be better even than White March (en sequel-y!).

In general I don't see why people rant so much about minor dlcs especialy when no "pay-to-win" tactics are involved. You don't have time for scavenger hunt, don't scavenge. It's some swords and cloaks and stuff after all; who cares?

Edited by Sedrefilos

Because it's basically on-disk DLC but instead of paying for it, you need to jump hoops. Why not just give everyone access? No issues with GOG vs. Steam either.

It's just part of the whole "cut out to pre-order / tie to a promotional site" etc.

Maybe I'm just spiffy since playing Mankind Divided for the first time and it has that one-time DLC, and immediately starting I find an object you need to scan with a mobile phone to get bonusses ingame. Like... where the hell is gaming going to. Makes me sad to see such micro-promotional in my backed games too. Did we really back for them to put work in items and then lock them away from a large subsection of people? Didn't WE complain about that ourselves about such practices in the past.

DA:O for example got super-insane with this ****.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Because it's basically on-disk DLC but instead of paying for it, you need to jump hoops. Why not just give everyone access? No issues with GOG vs. Steam either.

Since it is likely to be in the released game whether or-not you get the scavenger DLCs, there's probably nothing stopping you from using console commands to add these items to your party (GOG or steam).

If they're anything at all like the PoE1 "exclusives", the DLC packages are just a few tiny override scripts to tell the game to to drop a certain package of already-in-game items in the party inventory without marking the save as having used cheat codes.

That would disable achievements though, for those who care.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

That would disable achievements though, for those who care.

True.... but you can always crack the save file back open and flip that bit back in the other direction... 

If Obsidian can't find an easy way to get the Scavenger bundles to GOG users, I imagine it won't take too long for the community to generate a step-by-step guide to add the items without permanently branding your save as a party of cheaters.

When there are Pirate Space Pigs on the line, fans will find a solution.

• Like 3

I'd hope that at some point down the line the rewards are released as a free bundled DLC for all platforms. It would be weird if people who want them, even on Steam, in six months time do have to input 55 codes into this portal.

I really hope this too. I know about this scavenger hunt now. But I simply, regrettably, don't have time to participate. And I haven't decided yet whether I'll play on Steam or GOG.

But even if this promotional event was extended to include GOG, I hope there will be a way for people who never took part in this scavenger hunt to be able to get the items.

I don't like exclusive items in the sense that a part of the player base may have no legal, non-cheating way to get those items.

Other than that I like the idea of a scavenger hunt as a promotional event. It's a very good idea, whoever came up with it :)

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Why can't they just set up a site where we log in with our Obsidian account - log our codes found - then unlock a gog-code for DLC items? (I appreciate that if there are many items that might be a lot of work). (Given that codes are just getting shared on a forum thread anyway, is there a chance of anyone not getting all the same codes as everyone else? - just give us the items :p )

Having a fun game before launch is a good idea ...just a bit disappointing that backers who prefer gog can't join in (I know Obs didn't deliberately decide to exclude gog backers and that this is a steam 'feature' that they're taking advantage of)

GOG doesn’t support this kind of content linking. The issue is GOG, not Obsidian.

Honestly the issue is also Obsidian. This kind of promotion should've been researched before preorders were opened to public (and backer keys given out to backers), and in light of GoG not supporting it they should have had an alternative solution prepared beforehand or the promo should have been unveiled at the time preorders were so that people who care about this can make an informed decision about their platform.

As it is, as someone who preordered on GoG I feel kind of cheated, because I chose the platform (which happened ~2 months ago) purely on basis of where I bought previous part of the game, not realizing that I'd lock myself out of a cool, if small, bonus content. I'm hopeful mind you - based on what Eric said - hopeful Obsidian will come through and equalize things in the end, but at the moment it does leave a bit of bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by Malek_Deneith
  • Like 1

I'm with you on this. But the game going multi-platform where consoles competing with each other (their own wanting some exclusives for themselves) isn't a good sign at all.

Honestly the issue is also Obsidian. This kind of promotion should've been researched before preorders were opened to public (and backer keys given out to backers), and in light of GoG not supporting it they should have had an alternative solution prepared beforehand or the promo should have been unveiled at the time preorders were so that people who care about this can make an informed decision about their platform.

As it is, as someone who preordered on GoG I feel kind of cheated, because I chose the platform (which happened ~2 months ago) purely on basis of where I bought previous part of the game, not realizing that I'd lock myself out of a cool, if small, bonus content. I'm hopeful mind you - based on what Eric said - hopeful Obsidian will come through and equalize things in the end, but at the moment it does leave a bit of bad taste in my mouth.

Or GOG could just be not so hard to do business with.

Not much you can do if a distribution platform dictates that it will only distribute certain types of content.

• Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Not much you can do if a distribution platform dictates that it will only distribute certain types of content.

As I said in my previous post they still could - and should - have put out scavenger hunt at the same time as preorders, giving people clear view of the situation, rather than do it two months after many people already preordered.

Is the issue really GOG? I mean, does the physical disk version of the game gets something out of the treasure hunt?

If not, you can't really blame GOG can you since the physical disk doesn't have a storefront, it's pure Obsidian itself.

• Like 1

^

GOG support these type of free promo DLCs, what they do not support is the off-website account logging the scavenger website is using to bind your Obsidian account to a Steam account (which I personally find super dodgy, I have no idea why people so readily accept that stuff).

Obsidian could have used normal DLC keys for these promo or the system they used for the magazine pets.

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Regardless of GOG's stance on how DLCs should work, I don't think there's anything stopping Obsidian from distributing the rewards separately through the Scavenger Hunt portal.  A simple drag-and-drop of a 4kb file is all GOG users should need.

Another solution would be to leverage existing systems.  Popping open the console and typing something like COSMIC SCAV_REWARDS1 could also do the trick.

Anyway, I guess my point is there are still plenty of options that Obsidian has at their disposal before the community has to forge their own solution.  And there are still a few weeks to sort it all out.  I'm not too worried.

• Like 7

By the way @Ethics Gradient, very good signature. It provides a good help for all who want (and can) participate in the hunt!

• Like 4

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Is the issue really GOG? I mean, does the physical disk version of the game gets something out of the treasure hunt?

If not, you can't really blame GOG can you since the physical disk doesn't have a storefront, it's pure Obsidian itself.

This isn’t the first time Obsidian has had to walk back something that didn’t play nice with GOG because GOG is finicky about what can or cannot link with accounts (see: Pathfinder Adventures). Perhaps this is completely unrelated, but I can only hear “well...GOG’s policy states...” so many times before I feel safe assuming that the problem is them.
  • Like 1

tenor.gif?itemid=5016662

Yeah.  It's totally GOG.  And it's not entirely that they're bunch of backwards jerks or anything; as a distribution platform they have a different philosophical approach to games than Steam does.

Part of their belief is that a title shouldn't require some external server to unlock, earn or manage content.  It's great 5-10 years down the line when all the infrastructure disappears (like with the Mass Effect 3 or Assassins Creed IV mini-games/apps), but it can be a total bummer for modern releases that might casually rely on a web tie-in or server to do something cool for the players.

It doesn't mean that GOG users are going to be totally left in the dark for this promo.  It just means that GOG as a platform isn't having a hand in distributing the Scavenger Rewards.  There's nothing stopping the "DLC" being repackaged as a "mod" (which is essentially what it is) and distributed through other channels.

• Like 7