Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Critical Role, Meet Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Aerothorn

Aerothorn

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I actually have the same issue with Bailey - she is very talented and I don't begrudge her the work at all, but I have an ear for voice actors and she's so ubiqitous that I always recognize her, and it's an immersion-breaking experience (Steve Blum has been doing this to me for the last 20 years, and manages to play at least a minor role in 50% of all video games released).

That said, I recognize that I'm in a small minority there and it would be silly for Obsidian to factor that in - the vast majority of players don't notice specific voice actors, much less care that much about it.

(Also - if it's really an issue, you can just not have Xoti in your party!)*

*Big caveat: I have never listened to Critical Role. Ironically, if I had I'd find this hugely disappointing, as it would definitely ruin my immersion hearing all the characters voiced by people from a podcast I listened to all the time. But again, I'm probably in a minority there.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2214 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's funny how Matt looks like the love child of Eder and Aloth.

Also, I really enjoyed reading the new character bios.

Edited by injurai, 11 April 2018 - 08:36 PM.

• esyvjrt and AdaliaStark like this

Urthor

Urthor

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Steam:Urthor
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Did Ydwin get upgraded to full companion?  I thought she was a sidekick  who had the stats and voiced dialogue, but wasn't fully fleshed out

JediCosmin

JediCosmin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

You guys got Illidan Stormrage to voice an Orlan!!

Nice!

jf8350143

jf8350143

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 187 posts
From what I hear in the streaming, Xoti and Serafen actually sounds quite different comparing to their other characters。 No need to get disappointed right now, since we don't know how most of them sounds like at the moment.
  • The Sharmat likes this

The Crimson

The Crimson

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts

Ashley voiced Ellie from The Last Of Us, comparing Ellie to how Ydwin seems to be, makes me think she's a very versatile voice actress

Sallo

Sallo

Motley Fool of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:russell_catt
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm pretty excited about this. It's always fun to recognize someone's performance when you're enjoying a game.

Progressive_Stupidity

Progressive_Stupidity

Snarky Shaman of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm kind of disappointed by this. I mean, I get that the fans of Critical Role are very passionate and number many people who work at Obsidian. However, this feels like nepotism to me. I don't know what the sort of process that goes into selecting voice actors, so maybe its normal to hire cadres of actors from a single pool. However, I'd like to think the selection process is more meritocratic than that. These actors are undoubtedly talented. I'm not saying otherwise. Why just give them all  the main roles in the game though? Why couldn't we have other people attempt for these roles?

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but personally I would have liked to see a more open process (which I can only assume from looking at this roster that it absolutely wasn't) with actors who aren't voicing someone in every game. I like Laura Bailey. I have the Lucina amiibo on my desk. She's good at her job, but she's almost like Troy Baker or Nolan North. When you are like "Oh, that's person X" the performance loses some of its charm. You stop recognising the character as an independent character and instead start viewing them as an extension of the actor. Like every Tom Cruise movie. I don't even bother learning his characters names anymore. I love Tom Cruise movies, but I don't go to them to be immersed in the story telling.

This is all a bit rambling and I'm sure I'm in the minority here. I just feel that this is going to lessen my enjoyment of the game. Just saying my peace.

I'm definitely a bit concerned that they may have basically forced a square peg into a round hole with some of the castings just to make what is, essentially, a marketing ploy work, but that said Serafen sounds really good and hearing him instantly made me more interested in his character.

• RedDavidson and algroth like this

M4xw0lf

M4xw0lf

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

what I'm gathering from this is that Eothas joins the party

Class: priest of Woedica! dun dun duuuuuuun

• The Sharmat and Greensleeve like this

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1313 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Did Ydwin get upgraded to full companion? I thought she was a sidekick who had the stats and voiced dialogue, but wasn't fully fleshed out

I don't think so... However her mention here as well as Rekke's makes me wonder what is up with Konstanten and Fessina, actually - neither of them have recieved nearly as much attention as the other two in the content shown so far, and it'd be nice to get a little more on them in the near future.

Edited by algroth, 12 April 2018 - 05:00 PM.

• Karkarov and Mannock like this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1905 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I thought Ashley Johnson looked familiar from somewhere. Blindspot.

So, if we can't solve a quest or find an npc all we have to do is go talk with Ydwin on the boat?

PneumaticFire

PneumaticFire

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, even before this and seeing the character voice actors/bios, I definitely see a strong possibility of Eothas joining the party.  It could make for very interesting conversations between Eder, PC Eothasian Priest and Eothas himself.

Eder: "So.... about trying to kill you... let bygones be bygones right?..."

Reminds me how Sarevok joins your party in BG2 after being the big bad guy in part 1.

• Karkarov, Mannock, AndreaColombo and 1 other like this

Mannock

Mannock

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Reminds me how Sarevok joins your party in BG2 after being the big bad guy in part 1.

Whoa! Spoiler alert!

:D
  • Karkarov, PneumaticFire and Wormerine like this

fortuntek

fortuntek

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Pallegina?

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5296 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Pallegina?

She's voiced by her original actress Mela Lee, who is not a member of the Critical Role crew.

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3050 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I didn't know anything about Critical Role before this announcement, so to me this is just a sudden influx of talented voice actors.

• The Sharmat, Karkarov, Dr. Hieronymous Alloy and 2 others like this

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1591 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

^Same here - I've since checked out one of their streams and I'm confident we're getting a good cast

• Katarack21, Wormerine and AdaliaStark like this

kyrt

kyrt

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

For anyone skeptic of the critical role crew check out behindthevoiceactors to see everything they've done. All of the cast have a multiple number of voices at their disposal that they could pick from but sometimes they also like to do new voices and adapt voices to the characters. They are professionals at what they do and they've probably done some characters you never would have thought them capable or that you couldn't recognize without knowing who played them first. The reason most people are skeptical is simply because they are well known and are good at what they do. We are in good hands.

Now that said and all it probably wouldn't go amiss if we got a teaser of the voice acting (not just for the crit role crew) before the game released to quell some of the fears.

nightcobra

nightcobra

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:nightcobra

Yeah, even before this and seeing the character voice actors/bios, I definitely see a strong possibility of Eothas joining the party.  It could make for very interesting conversations between Eder, PC Eothasian Priest and Eothas himself.

Eothas: A soul similar to yours fought among my own...were you at least properly welcomed home?

Eder: well...they baked me a cake, tried to kill me afterwards but man that was a good cake.

• Karkarov, Silent Winter, injurai and 3 others like this

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1349 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Eothas joins your party *as your ship*

He floats on his back and you just attach the sails to his . . . . arm

• PneumaticFire likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users