Critical Role, Meet Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Ydwin was the only sidekick to have a full body reveal - it's on Pillars of Eternity facebook -, and also Josh talks a lot about Rekke on live Q&As. He stated, on his last Q&A, that we will get to know the reason to why Rekke is the way he is and, to me, that was quite strange, why give a closure or a character development this huge for a sidekick?

Have you guys realized that the other two sidekicks don't even get mentioned by Josh or the team that much and none of the critical role artists are making V.O. for them?

The plot tickens...

Not to knock on Rekke and any potential arcs that he may have, but I was under the impression that he was supposed to be Deadfire's Chewbacca.

And by that, I mean that it's much easier to write extra material for a guy who literally cannot communicate with the rest of the cast. :p

You think it's easier to write something for a character that speaks a different language?

I think it's far harder to write something that can't be communicated through words, let me explain myself. His arc will have to receive more details and attention because he can't just reveal his story by speaking, he will have to find a different way to communicate that, learning our language perhaps? Or even painting? So basically I think it will be more difficult because the writer can't just dump lore on our faces with a wall of text, he will have to show that in other way... again... a lot of work for a sidekick.

And hey... the team talk about Ydwin and Rekke so much that you people don't even know the name of the other two sidekicks. Don't google it. 

You think it's easier to write something for a character that speaks a different language?

I think it's far harder to write something that can't be communicated through words, let me explain myself. His arc will have to receive more details and attention because he can't just reveal his story by speaking, he will have to find a different way to communicate that, learning our language perhaps? Or even painting? So basically I think it will be more difficult because the writer can't just dump lore on our faces with a wall of text, he will have to show that in other way... again... a lot of work for a sidekick.

You're right, but the thing is... do we know that? I don't really follow the streams too often, so I apologize if I'm wrong right off the bat, but I feel confident enough to say that - right now - we don't know for sure whether any of that will happen. Is what you're describing really the case here?

On another note, I'd like to point out that I didn't mean to disparage Obsidian's writers and/or their skill in handling such a character. It was more of a lighthearted joke than anything else. Still, I also think that it's a stretch to attribute some arcane complexity to Rekke solely on the basis of him speaking a different language - a language constructed entirely by the developer of the game that no one else has means to understand or analyze in-depth. For all we know, they might as well go full KoTOR route and insert monosyllabic looped growls and sound bytes instead of words. (They won't, but it'd be fun.)

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd imagine there's a lot of things that a writer has to keep track of when they're writing stuff in English: things like consistent register, vocabulary, verbal mannerisms, that kind of stuff. You know, all the little rules to make your character sound and feel a certain way. And all I meant to say is that when you're the person making these rules in the first place, there's a lot you can get away with with relatively little effort.

Which of course doesn't mean that I hate Rekke or that he will suck, no. I'm sure he'll be a good character. :yes:

Edited by Skazz

Ydwin was the only sidekick to have a full body reveal - it's on Pillars of Eternity facebook -, and also Josh talks a lot about Rekke on live Q&As. He stated, on his last Q&A, that we will get to know the reason to why Rekke is the way he is and, to me, that was quite strange, why give a closure or a character development this huge for a sidekick?

Have you guys realized that the other two sidekicks don't even get mentioned by Josh or the team that much and none of the critical role artists are making V.O. for them?

The plot tickens...

Not to knock on Rekke and any potential arcs that he may have, but I was under the impression that he was supposed to be Deadfire's Chewbacca.

And by that, I mean that it's much easier to write extra material for a guy who literally cannot communicate with the rest of the cast. :p

And hey... the team talk about Ydwin and Rekke so much that you people don't even know the name of the other two sidekicks. Don't google it. 

Konstanten and Fessina - very unfortunate name.

I don't really understand why is has to be "either/or" - you can either have a sidekick with non-existent content or a companion with a doorstopper amount of stuff. Why can't Ydwin for example have - lets say - Viconia (or more realistically - Aerie) amount of content? From modern perspective, Viconia wasn't particurally complex mechanics-wise. Her character development/ romance was great but very linear - with a simple binary choice based on a point score from ABC test she assigned your CHARNAME that changed her alignment. Her interactions with other companions were static - she either likes them, or not - and limited to simple interjections or banter. And she had no character quest whatsoever. But she had a lot of quality conversations with a player character and that's why people found her awesome. It's a easy and cheap way to create companions, modders were creating additional BG 2 companions on a similar template for ages now, and for free, in their spare time. And, yes, PoE worked on an identical template. I don't see why Obsidian can't cook up something similar with Ydwin or Rekke - companions that have decent amount of quality but linear content limited to player character that develops throughout the game (friendship path, romance path, rivalry path) and memorable but static relationships with other companions. It would at the very least make sidekicks worth it to take into party for more than 5 minutes. And it would even make use of Ashley Johnsons' and Sam Riegels' talent. But that's just me being armchair developer. Apologies if I restate the point someone else already made.

Edited by aksrasjel

I don't really understand why is has to be "either/or" - you can either have a sidekick with non-existent content or a companion with a doorstopper amount of stuff. Why can't Ydwin for example have - lets say - Viconia (or more realistically - Aerie) amount of content? From modern perspective, Viconia wasn't particurally complex mechanics-wise. Her character development/ romance was great but very linear - with a simple binary choice based on a point score from ABC test she assigned your CHARNAME that changed her alignment. Her interactions with other companions were static - she either likes them, or not - and limited to simple interjections or banter. And she had no character quest whatsoever. But she had a lot of quality conversations with a player character and that's why people found her awesome. It's a easy and cheap way to create companions, modders were creating additional BG 2 companions on a similar template for ages now, and for free, in their spare time. And, yes, PoE worked on an identical template. I don't see why Obsidian can't cook up something similar with Ydwin or Rekke - companions that have decent amount of quality but linear content limited to player character that develops throughout the game (friendship path, romance path, rivalry path) and memorable but static relationships with other companions. It would at the very least make sidekicks worth it to take into party for more than 5 minutes. And it would even make use of Ashley Johnsons' and Sam Riegels' talent. But that's just me being armchair developer. Apologies if I restate the point someone else already made.

The thing with unflexible path is that your relationship with character would get heavily defined for a get go. I feel like doing a weak relationship would be worse than not doing it at all, when compared to companions with the relationship system. There is nothing cheap about companions. Josh said that creating character arc is the big, time consuming part of writing the companion. I would also have little ingame interaction than have a poor quiality content aka. BB:EE or mods. In past he compared sidekicks to Minsc - cool characters to tag along but dont develop and dont have character arc. Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2

The thing with unflexible path is that your relationship with character would get heavily defined for a get go. I feel like doing a weak relationship would be worse than not doing it at all, when compared to companions with the relationship system. There is nothing cheap about companions. Josh said that creating character arc is the big, time consuming part of writing the companion. I would also have little ingame interaction than have a poor quiality content aka. BB:EE or mods. In past he compared sidekicks to Minsc - cool characters to tag along but dont develop and dont have character arc.

Agree to disagree. I find no companions preferable to half-baked ones - at least I won't be annoyed that entire character concepts go to waste, I guess. But since Obsidian decided that sidekicks are here to stay - at least give them something. That's why I gave an example of Viconia - her content was linear, but of high quality. It doesn't necessarily have to be comparable in amount. Just make some use - any use out of this character. Also, Minsc and arguably Korgan were exceptions that worked - they were literal caricatures that you can't do much with even if you tried. But I distinctly remember people complaining about Mazzy, who had much more going for her about being underdeveloped. And I don't want sidekicks to be just "wacky caricatures", who may turn out to be unfunny in the end - but that may be the only route to take if you want those characters to work as they are now. There is legitimate story potential in Ydwin and Rekke. But that whole rant of mine was just wishful thinking on my part. I find this whole general idea of sidekicks totally backwards - story characters with no story attached to them, that you'll get as a reward for completing a quest - so I was desperately hoping for something that justifies their existence. Sorry for being unnecessarily confrontational and derailing a thread onto unpleasant routes. I know people are already sick of sidekick debate.

Edited by aksrasjel

You're right, but the thing is... do we know that? I don't really follow the streams too often, so I apologize if I'm wrong right off the bat, but I feel confident enough to say that - right now - we don't know for sure whether any of that will happen. Is what you're describing really the case here?

Yes, Josh stated that we will get to know his story on his last Q&A - a really weak Q&A tbh. Maybe we will get to know his story through the game, like we did with Durance. But, like someone already said, why would I take a sidekick if I can take a full companion with a relationship system? I would only consider that if the sidekick would be really funny and interesting, maybe getting the sidekicks into the relationship system would fix their problem.

• Like 1

Yes, Josh stated that we will get to know his story on his last Q&A - a really weak Q&A tbh. Maybe we will get to know his story through the game, like we did with Durance. But, like someone already said, why would I take a sidekick if I can take a full companion with a relationship system? I would only consider that if the sidekick would be really funny and interesting, maybe getting the sidekicks into the relationship system would fix their problem.

Ah, thanks, awesome then. I stand corrected!

As for the latter part, I can't speak for everyone, but I sure can offer a personal reason: as a dwarf fan, I've come to terms that Konstanten is the closest I'll ever get to seeing another dwarf companion in an Obsidian game. So, yeah.

Khelgar come back please

Pretty sure you can still talk to him (and other companions) on the ship, so you probably don't have to take him with you to learn his full story.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

Pretty sure you can still talk to him (and other companions) on the ship, so you probably don't have to take him with you to learn his full story.

Actually, they did an AMA and the sidekicks have an intro conversation when you recruit them but can't converse with them beyond that.  So either:

A) Rekke's story will be revealed through outside means like books, or

B) He has more going on than the other sidekicks, and is related to the story for spoilery reasons.

Actually, they did an AMA and the sidekicks have an intro conversation when you recruit them but can't converse with them beyond that.  So either:

A) Rekke's story will be revealed through outside means like books, or

B) He has more going on than the other sidekicks, and is related to the story for spoilery reasons.

Rekke is Eothas, then?

No, wait.

Rekke is... Woden, Eder's brother!

dun dun duuuun

Edited by Skazz

Mere speculation from my part, but whilst I believe the chances for them to have been secretly expanded into full companions is extremely low, I could see more content being planned for them come the DLCs, which might better make use of those cast members. Also I don't think these roles cover the extent of the Critical Role cast in the game so maybe their relatively small role as sidekicks could be balanced out with a beefier NPC role the likes of a faction leader? Some thoughts.

That's fair, except you are overlooking one obvious thing.

This was done as a big announcement to encourage more sales and bring attention to the game.  If one of them had a "beefier" role as a faction leader.... why would you advertise their role as a sidekick and not mention the more critical faction leader role?  Unless of course Rekke and Ydwin, who both easily get as much publicity from Obsidian as any known companion, have been upgraded.

Mere speculation from my part, but whilst I believe the chances for them to have been secretly expanded into full companions is extremely low, I could see more content being planned for them come the DLCs, which might better make use of those cast members. Also I don't think these roles cover the extent of the Critical Role cast in the game so maybe their relatively small role as sidekicks could be balanced out with a beefier NPC role the likes of a faction leader? Some thoughts.

That's fair, except you are overlooking one obvious thing.

This was done as a big announcement to encourage more sales and bring attention to the game.  If one of them had a "beefier" role as a faction leader.... why would you advertise their role as a sidekick and not mention the more critical faction leader role?  Unless of course Rekke and Ydwin, who both easily get as much publicity from Obsidian as any known companion, have been upgraded.

I reckon it could be because the faction leaders or other important secondary characters haven't been revealed yet so it would either seem weird or be a bit spoiler-heavy to talk about them in this reveal. I used the faction leader as an example but it could be any sort of big secondary character that we have yet to learn about for plot disclosure reasons. Granted though, I'm just speculating here. I could be wrong, but it's just a guess on my part. Based on the amount of work Josh has mentioned each companion took I would be surprised that they were indeed upgraded - but then again, maybe they could have been upgraded to a "beefy sidekick" and not necessarily a full companion? Won't really know until we play the game. :D

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

• 2 weeks later...

Riegel has such a wide range of different voices. I'm surprised he and Jaffe didn't get a bigger parts. Were they too busy, too expensive, not good enough?

As much as I adore Williams and O'Brien I am ever so slightly disappointed all the romanceable characters are voiced by straight people. Given their behaviour on Critical Role I will most definitely readjust my predictions. Tekēhu and Maia now have the highest chances of being interested in same-sex relations. I'm curious to see what else might have bled over from Deadfire to Critical Role considering the bathhose visits.

Riegel has such a wide range of different voices. I'm surprised he and Jaffe didn't get a bigger parts. Were they too busy, too expensive, not good enough?

As much as I adore Williams and O'Brien I am ever so slightly disappointed all the romanceable characters are voiced by straight people. Given their behaviour on Critical Role I will most definitely readjust my predictions. Tekēhu and Maia now have the highest chances of being interested in same-sex relations. I'm curious to see what else might have bled over from Deadfire to Critical Role considering the bathhose visits.

While I don't get the obsession with companions'sexuality in the first place (well actually I think I do, I just don't like it) why would the actor's sexuality have anything to do with the characters? Straight actors play gay characters all the time, and vice versa.

While I don't get the obsession with companions'sexuality in the first place (well actually I think I do, I just don't like it) why would the actor's sexuality have anything to do with the characters? Straight actors play gay characters all the time, and vice versa.

Wait, are you saying... Gandalf wasn't gay?! :blink:

I've been horribly misinterpreting his relationship with the hobbits.

Edited by Skazz

I am a huge, huge fan of Critical Role, and I'll be honest, I never played the original Pillars of Eternity. However, I decided to get PoEII due to their endorsement. I've played games like Baldur's Gate II and Neverwinter back in the day, but I was always more in the Diablo and Diablo II camp, and currently play Path of Exile fairly regularly, so it has been a long time since I've played a game like this, but I'm looking forward to it! The opportunity to have characters from Vox Machina in my party is great and all, but I'll be honest, I wouldn't have gotten the game just for that. I looked around and read up on PoE and PoEII a bit to see if I'd like it before committing. I got the Obsidian Pack and I'm looking forward to playing the game once I'm able to!

I think Ydwin will be introduced as a full companion in one of the future expansions. Out of all the expansions that are revealed, I'm betting that she'll be introduced as a full companion in the Beast of Winter expansion. The expansion states that it will 'take your party to an island populated by a mysterious doomsday cult, that hides an ancient secret. Players will get to experience adventuring in "The Beyond," a mysterious dimension populated by ancient souls and filled with devilish challenges'. Come on! The Beast of Winter is also the name for Rymrgand, the main god that Ydwin's people, the pale elves worship. Also, Ydwin's obsessed with souls, so the fact that you're going to a dimension populated by ancient 'souls' is no mere coincidence. I think they're planning something big with Ydwin in the future.

Edited by Sanjid099

I didn't think I would care so much for the full VO, but after putting a few hours into the game, I find it enhances my experience of the atmosphere and characters a lot, way more than I anticipated (even while I don't like all the choices of accent, for example).

Ah, and the voiced narrator during main quest sequences was one step too far. Does not diminish the great job the voice actors did, of course.

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 2

I think Ydwin will be introduced as a full companion in one of the future expansions.

I don't know, I still haven't found one sidekick in game, but I found the others, and frankly I am extremely disappointed.  One of them was actually involved in a real quest prior to me recruiting them, I won't say which.  I felt like I earned it and it made some kind of sense when they joined up, that sidekick was great, kudo's on that one Obsidian.

The other two?  Not so much.  It was another round of one of the things I hated about planescape torment.  I went up to them, had a nice chat, said "Hey why don't you abandon your current job, lifestyle, and whole existence and join my party instead?  I mean I just made a great speech so you should be happy upending your life for me with no real motivation to do so otherwise?"  They off course said yes despite having no real reason to do so.  Well other than "I am kind of bored..."

It was a serious problem in Eternity 1, and it wouldn't bother me that much if it weren't for Sawyer saying a quest would be involved to recruit them.  Talking to them and throwing out some high school sophistry is not a quest, and at least two of the sidekicks are recruited this way.

Jesus the mercenaries you hire at the inn have better motivation.  At least they got paid.

• Like 3

It was another round of one of the things I hated about planescape torment.  I went up to them, had a nice chat, said "Hey why don't you abandon your current job, lifestyle, and whole existence and join my party instead?  I mean I just made a great speech so you should be happy upending your life for me with no real motivation to do so otherwise?"  They off course said yes despite having no real reason to do so.  Well other than "I am kind of bored..."

What? Just about the only character you do this with is Fall-From-Grace, and even so she insists that you have a word with every member of the Brothel before accepting to come your way. Morte is there from the start waiting for the Nameless One because he's bound to him by guilt, Dak'kon is bound to follow you because he's enslaved to your person (and he's the one who proposes to follow you, not the other way around), Annah is ordered to follow you and guide you by Pharod, both Nordom and Ignus see you as their master for different reasons and it's hardly like they had much of a "current job, lifestyle and whole existence" to begin with, the last point which likewise applies to Vhailor. You may as well levy this criticism against the first Pillars or the Baldur's Gate saga before you do so Torment, as they'd be far guiltier of this aspect instead.

Mind, I share the sentiments regarding the sidekicks. I was hoping we'd see a quest or something leading up to their acquisition, but what I've had from two of them has been merely a few lines of introduction and little else. I'll be checking them out in the party some time but I'm not convinced that they add much at all to the game right now.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Any chance we could get the Critical Role voice packs made available for the original Pillars of Eternity?

*Edit*

I converted the Critical Role voice packs to override some of the original voice choices in Pillars 1, so you can play with Vox Machina in the orginal Pillars of Eternity.

Here's Keyleth's voice pack converted to replace the original Female Feisty voice pack for Pillars 1. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9wmzwkgg3kt9vhc/AAD9UPxUvvspHWpmxvmjPd_8a?dl=0

Grog, he replaces Male Stoic.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d0xz189iehjpcpu/AACAJNHhzxoCOOOa9W6jNPN7a?dl=0

Scanlan, he replaces Male Smooth

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eekvf29ud3sskaj/AADBd39lemVJxSa1QyYu4pnua?dl=0

Pike, she replaces Female Kind

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ogkpx3ijm99dik0/AADNE9R7jd7ZcSmcYFgUsas3a?dl=0

Vax replaces Male C0cky

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cpqi7kd1y5g60zl/AACQwgrGBU-xQWuJQroWtyy9a?dl=0

Vex replaces Female C0cky

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vuhupcsrtcqttfs/AAAT-y6_esFIr6bUB_L_TYVja?dl=0

Percy, he replaces Noble Male

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z79h29wvmj2xi6x/AADq1lPpirFUmxraEh0ViEq7a?dl=0

And Gilmore, he replaces Mystic Male

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i6ccke0ift3g5n0/AAAKwHUwdkloxEs9RoVZPRVCa?dl=0

Just copy-pasta those files to override the ones in Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Data/audio/vocalization/vo wav files/player

and you're good to go. Remember to make a backup of the originals naturally.

Enjoy

Edited by Nokturnal Lex
  • Like 1