Paladins seem pretty strong as Main Protagonist. What would you build?

Yes, so far he does that job exceptionally well. I broke with the habit of using tanks in PoE. Maybe I have to return to that concept in Deadfire. Unbroken/Troubadour is a great tanking combo as well. At least he does something else while tanking the heck out of everything. ;) I also discovered that the chanting pause after invocations is not affected by DEX, recovery of the invocation or  armor penalties in Deadfire. it's alsways a fix 2 to 3 secs pause, nothing more. Good for armored tanks.

Did you try if an Unbroken + shield and pistol/scepter/wand/blunderbuss has any engagement slots? I was thinking about Minor Blights + Shield with an Unbroken tank. But I guess using ranged weapons disables engagement completely?

Edit: to answer my own question - like in PoE, using a ranged weapon completely removes any engagment.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Deathblows?

Yes, I mean the upgrade of sneak attack.

In Final Fantasy 7, deathblows is an attack where you either miss or crit. I never used it. Sneak attack is always applied when you have the conditions in all games I have played.

I want an ability that increases the damage of all attacks, not an "all or nothing attack". Every time I hear "deathblows" I think of an all or nothing attack. Thats why I called the upgrade of sneak attack "death attack".

I know this makes no sense. Having played tons of RPGs can give you a lot of experience, but it can also confuse you if different games use the same word for different abilities or they use a different word for the same ability.

FF7. Haha. That's a blast from the past.

Quadra-Magic-Ultima!

I'm thinking of going with a Crusader (Unbroken + Shieldbreaker).  I like the idea of a super hard to kill Paladin hero but maybe this is overkill, not sure.  I would love feedback from those of you in beta.

Coastal Aumaua (+2 Might, Resist Might) - Rauatai (+1 Constitution), Laborer (+2 Athletics)

Might 20 - Constitution 14 - Dexterity 12 - Perception 12 - Intellect 10 - Resolve 10

Possible Abilities:

• Deep Faith
  • Weapon and Shield
  • Determination 
  • Divine Purpose
  • Unstoppable
  • Fearless
  • Mental Fortress
  • Clear Head
  • Iron Gut
  • Armored Grace
  • Vigorous Defense

This guy has resistance to every type of affliction so he's immune to all of the worst afflictions in the game.  His deflection, AR and defenses should be very high and with the high Might hopefully will do some decent damage.  In an emergency, Lay on Hands prevents death!

I'm unclear if the +20 Defense against afflictions from Determination and Divine Purpose is enough protection from afflictions or if I should also invest in all those resistance abilities as well.

• Like 1

I was looking at a similar Crusader just indestructible(Unbroken + Shieldbreaker) Mountain dwarf for the con resistance with Aedyr culture

might 10, con 18, dex 10, per 11, int 10, res 19  ( high res to reduce duration on cc and rp reasons)

abilities 

Deep faith

Lay on Hands

Weapon and Shield style

Zealous aura

Fighter Stances 

Exalted endurance

Guardian stance

Mental fortress

​I like stances and aura's to be a bit more flexible with situations as I can switch to gain accuracy if needed. While the build is not immune to as much afflictions I think resolve can help reduce this flaw. 

For a weapon it would be a hatchet for more deflect and the modal reduces incoming damage. I am not sure about type of shields as I have not seen the modals

Edited by Qwertllane

I don't know the math but I do know that having too much deflection or resistance wasn't ideal in PoE1.  You'd rather have some utility or damage once you hit those deflection/resistance break points.  I suspect someone else here could help with the maths.  

I'm hoping that if your attributes are decent and at least one half of your multiclass is tank oriented, you'll be able to protect yourself and your party reasonably well as well as bring something else to the table.  The reduction to 5 party members might make a pure indestructible tank not worth it.  Then again he has to protect fewer people, so it might work out? 

A little off topic but I still want to go Bleak Walker that uses a sword with pistol offhand.  Anyone know if this still works really janky or if it's just straight inferior to putting your guns in a different weapon slot?  What about Magran's summoned weapons, is there a place for that in PotD?

(Also I want to spiritshift in to a sh*t blossom)

Edited by thekdawg21

I was looking at a similar Crusader just indestructible(Unbroken + Shieldbreaker) Mountain dwarf for the con resistance with Aedyr culture

might 10, con 18, dex 10, per 11, int 10, res 19  ( high res to reduce duration on cc and rp reasons)

abilities 

Deep faith

Lay on Hands

Weapon and Shield style

Zealous aura

Fighter Stances 

Exalted endurance

Guardian stance

Mental fortress

​I like stances and aura's to be a bit more flexible with situations as I can switch to gain accuracy if needed. While the build is not immune to as much afflictions I think resolve can help reduce this flaw. 

For a weapon it would be a hatchet for more deflect and the modal reduces incoming damage. I am not sure about type of shields as I have not seen the modals

If you're set on having max res I would move 8 points from con into might, having a character that can only tank is pretty damn useless. With more might not only will you be able to contribute damage, but you'll also heal a lot more. You'll still be getting fortitude, and though your max hp pool is smaller, your effective HP will be significantly higher given that lay on hands, your only zeal-spending ability, is a lot more effective.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think of Bleak Walker/Barbarian (Mage Slayer?) with a two handed sword?  How would this compare to a fighter? I assume that fighters would be more sturdy, but barbarians would have some more fun active abilities.  Any thoughts on this?  (This is my second thought if pistol/sabre dual wielded won't work out)  If someone could throw me a quick and dirty build up to level 8 or so that would be even more awesome.  I'm trying to get a handle on the mechanics of the game and how multiclassing would synergize, but I don't know how stuff works; i.e. how much accuracy is too much accuracy?  How much you can ignore attack speed in favor of slow hard hitting attacks?  

What do you guys think of Bleak Walker/Barbarian (Mage Slayer?) with a two handed sword?  How would this compare to a fighter? I assume that fighters would be more sturdy, but barbarians would have some more fun active abilities.  Any thoughts on this?  (This is my second thought if pistol/sabre dual wielded won't work out)  If someone could throw me a quick and dirty build up to level 8 or so that would be even more awesome.  I'm trying to get a handle on the mechanics of the game and how multiclassing would synergize, but I don't know how stuff works; i.e. how much accuracy is too much accuracy?  How much you can ignore attack speed in favor of slow hard hitting attacks?  

In the beta, Fighters actually have more fun active abilities than Barbarians. (Leap could be fun but it's badly implemented last I checked---recovery is too long. And there are the Yelp spells if you want to do CC....) Fighters also have better AoE (Cleaving Stance). 

The Mage Slayer spell resistance / reduced duration applies to beneficial effects, including Barbarian modals like Frenzy and Wild Sprint, or Paladin Eternal Devotion....

• Like 1

I think I'll just go plain Goldpact Knight. Gilded Eminty sounds cool, and useful. I hope Firebrand is still good I heard it got nerfed. My favorite build ever was a Goldpact pally with all the fire buffs, with firebrand critting all day long, but I'll go duals if there isn't a cool greatsword available.

the only thing that concerns me a bit about a beckoner-paladin build is that it kinda shoehorns you into that specific build and you'll do the same for every fight -> summon -> flames -> summon -> flames etc... not sure if that doesn't get boring over 100 hours

• Like 1

Once you get Blood Thirst a barbarian or barbarian/whatever will be the ideal great sword user I guess. I mean if Blood Thirst works anything like in PoE.

Mage Slayer is better with (fast) dual weapons in my opinion. You might want to apply the Disruption to different casters very quickly.

Hi

Would a Melee focused priest of berath gain much from multiclassing into a Goldpact Knight? I'm thinking about this templar mostly for RP reasons, but I wonder if aoe buffer + greatsword striker + tank may be spreading oneself too thin

Hi

Would a Melee focused priest of berath gain much from multiclassing into a Goldpact Knight? I'm thinking about this templar mostly for RP reasons, but I wonder if aoe buffer + greatsword striker + tank may be spreading oneself too thin

bleak walker might work well as well since the corrode damage is there as well...might get issues due to behaviors...

i think priest of magran might work as well due to all the fire damage

• Like 1

Bleak Walker works rather unwell since you can't multiclass Berath with Bleak Walker due to disposition collision. ;)

If you combine Sworn Enemy's upgrade that refunds the zeal costs after killing the enemy then you can have Gilded Enmity several times during encounter - which is good. It lasts for 7 hits - so if you can make sure you only get 25% or 50%  damage from 7 hits that's something.

Only "problem" is that a great sword user will be very slow if you want to stack lots of AR and wear plate in addition to Gilded Enmity. The combo of Spiritual Great Sword and Flames of Devotion is very good, but if you can only strike three times until the Spiritual Great Sword runs out that's a bummer. So maybe I would use Gilded Enmity + lightish armor instead and try to offtank instand of tank. I think this would be more fun. With Exhalted Endurance you might be able to really tank again though.

• Like 1

Hello there!

I'd like to ask what everyone thinks about the following build for a Paladin + Druid multiclass

Kind Wayfarer + Fury 2H-Greatsword

Uses Firebrand alongside passives like Scion of Flame and actives like Flames of Devotion and Zealous Focus to increase the damage output. And transform into a Storm Blight to deal damage to Enemies that have a stronger resistance to Fire and/or Slash (Plated armor enemies for ex.). The spirit shifted form is powered by passives like Wild Strike shock and shock spells like Returning Storm. Uses Lay on Hands whenever healing is needed.

I reckon the following stats should be ok...

M 16

C 8

D 10

P 16

I 18

R 10

I'm open to suggestions, is this a decent build or should I adjust it or scrap it altogether? (this idea actually started from mixing a Devoted and Lifegiver but I realized the Devoted subclass hinders the damage output when spirit shifted)

Bleak Walker works rather unwell since you can't multiclass Berath with Bleak Walker due to disposition collision. ;)

If you combine Sworn Enemy's upgrade that refunds the zeal costs after killing the enemy then you can have Gilded Enmity several times during encounter - which is good. It lasts for 7 hits - so if you can make sure you only get 25% or 50%  damage from 7 hits that's something.

Only "problem" is that a great sword user will be very slow if you want to stack lots of AR and wear plate in addition to Gilded Enmity. The combo of Spiritual Great Sword and Flames of Devotion is very good, but if you can only strike three times until the Spiritual Great Sword runs out that's a bummer. So maybe I would use Gilded Enmity + lightish armor instead and try to offtank instand of tank. I think this would be more fun. With Exhalted Endurance you might be able to really tank again though.

Thanks!

My character comes from Berath Tidefall build (I borrowed it from you, btw), sanguine plate was his outfit but neither tanking nor glass cannon is what I'm aiming for. Just a nice looking, viable outfit for a Berath godlike going a bit cynical after Sun in Shadow. Berathian robes or something both light and macabre would actually be great.
  • Like 1

Thanks!

My character comes from Berath Tidefall build (I borrowed it from you, btw)

Must be a really popular build, cause I went with the same thing for my main, lol. I'm still not sure though if multi-classing a cleric is really worth it from what I've heard. Wouldn't it be better to go full cleric so you can get those sweet end game spells that multi-classes won't be able to get?

Depends what they are. At this point they're nice in theory, but may well not be cost effective.

Just like the PoE1 Cipher- for a long time it was worth sticking with the low level paralyze and simply recasting it, as the higher level stuff wasn't cost effective.

• Like 1

Depends what they are. At this point they're nice in theory, but may well not be cost effective.

Just like the PoE1 Cipher- for a long time it was worth sticking with the low level paralyze and simply recasting it, as the higher level stuff wasn't cost effective.