Deadfire: Would you like to know more?

You have to get a wound. If you are maxed out Rooting Pain will not trigger.

It also triggers when getting wounds from drugs (Nalpasca) and Dance of Death and also with a Shattered Pillar when he does damage.

The AoE base is fairly small (I think 1.25 meters?) but sufficient for a melee guy.

It's a pretty stupid pick for a ranged Shattered Pillar. ;)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If I make a monk it will be a melee shattered pillar. Each attack produces several wounds, so I can spam torments reach all the time. With the upgrade my attacks stunn all enemies in front of me and I also produce several rooting pains with every attack, damaging and interrupting all enemies around me.

Of course you get nothing from abilities that give a bonus per wound. ( PoE1 monks could get lash damage and DR per wound.)

Conversion rates are not added. Instead every conversion chance (of the same kind) is checked after the other which means than there are diminishing returns for every additional conversion.

Let's say you are a Hearth Orlan (10% hit-to-crit) Devoted/Skald, you have Disciplined Strikes (50%) and attack a paralyzed target (50%). If you'd simply add the chances this would mean a chance of 110% - which obviously makes no sense.

Instead, when you do an attack roll and hit, every chance is rolled/checked after the other and when conversion does happen the checking stops (think of a loop with a break on success). It doesn't matter what you roll  (80 or whatever) - as long as it's a hit the game will check if it gets converted to a crit. 

To calculate the resulting overall chance you can multiply the chances NOT to convert:

0.5 * 0.5 * 0.9 = 0.225 --> so a chance of 22.5% not to convert. Or in other words: 77.5% conversion chance. You can never reach 100%.

Oh and yes, Minor Threat stacks with other conversions. :)

Edited by Boeroer

What would be funny is a Berserker/Shattered Pillar spamming Torments Reach which gains wounds which causes Rooting Pain which then affects your team as you are confused :) Maybe tack on some friendly fire carnage damage and some friendly fire AoE cone stun from Torments to add to the hilarity.

Stacking rules are that actives (e.g. buffs) don't stack while all passives stack. 

So regarding a ranger/paladin multiclass accuracy stacking, if I get the accuracy aura (+5) + marked prey (+10), then I use either accurate wounding shot (+20) or base flames of devotion (+20), will any of those stack? Or are they all considered actives?

In other words, if the accuracy bonus is part of an ability but not a buff, will it stack with other actives?

• Like 1

Stacking rules are that actives (e.g. buffs) don't stack while all passives stack. 

So regarding a ranger/paladin multiclass accuracy stacking, if I get the accuracy aura (+5) + marked prey (+10), then I use either accurate wounding shot (+20) or base flames of devotion (+20), will any of those stack? Or are they all considered actives?

In other words, if the accuracy bonus is part of an ability but not a buff, will it stack with other actives?

To add onto this question: are chants actives or passives? (I hear that Ancient Memory stacks, but 2 mith fyr chants don't, which seems contradictory. Is that true?) Similarly, does the heaing from 2 exalted endurance paladin auras stack?

Okay, so this is a question that probably applies to Chanters in general, but may have synergies for Beckoners in particular.

I take Gernisc Slew The Beast, But Soon Faced Its Kin. That summons 3 Wurms (6 if Beckoner), which from what I remember from the first PoE spits fire as a ranged attack.

If I have this Chanter go with Sure-Handed Ila, does it affect the rate at which the summoned Wurms spit fire as well?

Not talking about specific weapons but weapon "styles" I've seen posts about dual wielding, ranged and sword/shield but haven't really seen two hander talk. Is there a broad reason you would wield a two hander?

e.g. Ranged is ranged, shield has the defence benefit and dual wielding has full attack and double modal advantage but what do two handers bring?

Edited by SummerAnne58

How exactly afflictions and inspiration interact?

I know that any tier of a stat inspiration "counters" any tier of the same stat affliction but how exactly?

They both get dispelled right away or they keep their duration and while they both last they suppress each other (i. e. If we use the priest spell suppress affliction or whatever it's called we keep the inpiration while the spell is on)?

Since you are speaking of the two handed weapon style, this applies to both melee and ranged weapons. In fact all weapon styles apply to both melee and ranged weapons, and for this reason there isn't a generic ranged weapon style (ranger has an extra passive ability that gives you +5 accuracy with ranged weapons). Coming back to the two handed style, it's just a +15% (of the base weapon) increase in dmg, which in my opinion is just disappointing. 

• Like 1

How exactly afflictions and inspiration interact?

I know that any tier of a stat inspiration "counters" any tier of the same stat affliction but how exactly?

They both get dispelled right away or they keep their duration and while they both last they suppress each other (i. e. If we use the priest spell suppress affliction or whatever it's called we keep the inpiration while the spell is on)?

They simply wipe each other out.

• Like 1

Since you are speaking of the two handed weapon style, this applies to both melee and ranged weapons. In fact all weapon styles apply to both melee and ranged weapons, and for this reason there isn't a generic ranged weapon style (ranger has an extra passive ability that gives you +5 accuracy with ranged weapons). Coming back to the two handed style, it's just a +15% (of the base weapon) increase in dmg, which in my opinion is just disappointing.

I agree. Two handers need more love.

Maybe this will get balanced out with better/earlier uniques - who knows...

Edited by Boeroer

Does anyone know if the Barbarian ability Heart of Fury is in deadfire?  I can't find any info about it being in the game, and the high level dungeon stream from yesterday didn't have it on the barb which makes me worried.

And if it IS in the game, is it too high level to have on a multi-classed barb?

Reason I ask is because I've been thinking about making a berserker/skald for the crits and heart of fury would just be gravy on top.  Sort of related: does anyone know if Fighter's charge counts as a melee attack that will trigger the skald's unique crit giving phrases ability?

Charge, cleave, carnage, disengagement attack, riposte all can trigger skald special thing. Only carnage of these is not an 'attack' so it won't trigger weapon proc on hit, and won't generate focus for cipher. All the rest will.

Are you sure carnage can trigger it?  Because I noticed when I made a howler in the most recent beta none of the carnage hits would crit, and I mouse over'd them and saw that one of them rolled a 99, so was over 100 after all the to hit calculations, and it still didn't crit.   Did they remove carnage's ability to crit?

Also, does anyone know how big carnage's AOE is when you pump INT to 18 vs leaving it at 10?

Thanks!

Is there a list of which classes abilities are usable in a shifter's animal form?

From what I can gather:

Yes -

Fighter

Rogue (non-trickster)

Monk

Barbarian

Ranger

No -

Wizard

Priest

??? -

Paladin

Chanter

Rogue (trickster spells)

Ranger (ghost heart summon)

Is there a list of which classes abilities are usable in a shifter's animal form?

Cypher abilities are all considered "spells", including Soul Annihilation. Chanter invocations are likewise locked out, although you will still chant and accrue phrases. Ranger ghost heart pet summon is okay. It turns out Trickster spells are considered rogue abilities (they cost Guile) and are usable while shifted.

I didn't find anything else that was locked out on other classes. All paladin abilities and ranger abilities I tried worked.

Edited by HiddenWings
  • Like 1

Cypher abilities are all considered "spells", including Soul Annihilation. Chanter invocations are likewise locked out, although you will still chant and accrue phrases. Ranger ghost heart pet summon is okay. It turns out Trickster spells are considered rogue abilities (they cost Guile) and are usable while shifted.

I didn't find anything else that was locked out on other classes. All paladin abilities and ranger abilities I tried worked.

Awesome, thanks!

Do we know how far off the release build the backer beta is?  Like do we know if they've changed mechanics for say damage penetration (I'm trying to figure out what influences damage of flames of devotion's burn/corrode bonus damage, apparently all modifiers that apply to the main weapon also apply to flames of devotion damage, and the burn/corrode damage is applied as separate lashes).  Aka Flames of Devotion is probably amazing(ly over tuned) and is going to wreck made faces.  

Or is there potential that there has been changes to core mechanics like what might modifies, what intellect modifies etc, since the last beta and nobody will know until "influencers" review the game?

Edited by Urthor