Critical Role & Obsidian Announce Partnership For Deadfire!

Greetings fellow Watchers and Critters! 

If you missed out on the announcement for the partnership between Critical Role and Obsidian, you can read all about it here:

http://eternity.obsidian.net/news/critical-role-and-obsidian-entertainment-announce-partnership-for-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire

Pre-Order the game now!

http://versusevil.com/games/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire_c-r/

We've also been getting a ton of questions from you all, so we've prepared a small FAQ!

• When will the Vox Machina voice sets be released?
    • On May 8th, when Deadfire launches! 
  • How do I obtain the Vox Machina voice set DLC?
    • It's free! You just need to own the game. 
  • Are the voice sets edition specific? (Standard, Deluxe, Obsidian Edition)
    • All editions will include the free Vox Machina voice sets!
  • I am a Fig backer, will I get voice sets?
    • Yes!
  • Will the DLC be available for the console version of the game?
    • Yes! The DLC will be free with the PS4, XBOX, and Switch versions of the game.
  • Is there a difference if I pre-order the game from the Versus Evil website, GOG, or Steam?
    • There is no difference, each platform will grant you the same rewards, including the pre-order items.

If there are any more questions, please feel free to ask away in the comments and we'll update the FAQ accordingly! 

• Like 1

I have to admit, that I don't totally understand the news post. "...allowing Deadfire players to choose Critical Role’s character voices for their created party members in the game..." I read this as their VO will be voice sets will be for custom created adventurers and the MC.

Then this quote states: " Working closely with the cast of Critical Role to bring Deadfire’s companions and story to life has been an amazing experience".

So besides Mercer, and that scene Infinitron posted from Edér's quest, which was in the first game, are they voices other companions and NPC's also?

Edit: I might just be clueless because I am not familiar with Critical Role beyond the short introduction, and that isn't helping my confusion. :p

Edited by TheisEjsing

I have to admit, that I don't totally understand the news post. "...allowing Deadfire players to choose Critical Role’s character voices for their created party members in the game..." I read this as their VO will be voice sets will be for custom created adventurers and the MC.

Then this quote states: " Working closely with the cast of Critical Role to bring Deadfire’s companions and story to life has been an amazing experience".

So besides Mercer, and that scene Infinitron posted from Edér's quest, which was in the first game, are they voices other companions and NPC's also?

Edit: I might just be clueless because I am not familiar with Critical Role beyond the short introduction, and that isn't helping my confusion. :p

I read it as are both going to make voice sets for some of the characters they played in their first D&D campaign (and that there will be portraits of them to go along) AND do voice acting for the companions (and possibly other NPCs).

• Like 2

I read it that way aswell, but I don't understand it then. Will you be able to switch between voice sets for your companions? Because if it's a DLC, it can't be the original VO for them or NCP with spoken lines atleast.

And I just think it's really strange to make multiple voice set for some NPC's when others don't have any VO at all. It seems odd to me.

Edited by TheisEjsing

I read it that way aswell, but I don't understand it then. Will you be able to switch between voice sets for your companions? Because if it's a DLC, it can't be the original VO for them or NCP with spoken lines atleast.

And I just think it's really strange to make multiple voice set for some NPC's when others don't have any VO at all. It seems odd to me.

Noooo I think that it's like that.

They've been VAs for companions and NPC from the beginning (I think that there were some hints in latest tweets from Obsidian). Now you will be also able to chose from new voice sets for characters created by you, so the voice set range will be bigger than it was in previous game. At least that's how I understood that. It means - NPCs and companions were voice acted in the development of the game and now, as a bonus, we will be able to use new voice sets for our own characters.

My understanding is that Critical role cast voices some of the companions and addition to that they made voice sets for player made characters using voices that they made for their characters in CC's campaign one.

I would note that they all are professional and talented voice actors that are cable to do multiple different and distinct voices and they often voice multiple characters in games which they are involved.

• Like 4

Q1. For our main character, will we be getting a wider range of voice sets to choose from, compared to PoE1?

Q2. Will the range of possible canned responses for all party members be increased, compared to PoE? I.e. will we get more variety?

Thank you. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."