Does anyone else get the feeling that deadfire is more goofy and gimmicky then pillars

When I look at the Soulbound dagger in the beta I don't expect too much goofyness.

Also there weren't any goofy things in the beta I know of.

In PoE the goofiest thing I can remember was the Disappointer. ;)

But who knows - maybe Eothas is just on his way to becoming a great Stand-up Comedian...

The stuff in the beta was actively ungoofy. Starvation, human (well aumaua) sacrifice and cannibalism. Dark.

Given the locale, the vibe and the almost Jrpg sounding ost, I'd say yes. I expect to see at least a bit of goofy humor in Deadfire. What exactly do I expect and to what extent? I expect to see stuff like... drunk ogres making dumb jokes that will only make us laugh because of how dumb it is. That said, I don't expect it to get to the level of D:OS or D:OS2 humor.

Some of Deadfire's animations for certain characters scream that the game is etched with humor.

With a brighter atmosphere, more humor makes sense but I don't expect it to get too obnoxious or goofy to where the world seems like a joke in itself.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Josh on the matter of humour and tone in the game:

Will there be more humor than in the first game?

JS: Yeah. We're not going to make it a bunch of slapstick crazy stuff, but that something that we noticed that we noticed is that, the overall tone of our story is very dark, most of the humor that we did have is very dry. We don't want to go wacky slapstick with it, but when everything is consistently dark and dry you don't have the high points to lift you out of it, and then fall back into. We want more of an emotional range with that and more humor to lighten the mood a little bit so that when it goes dark again it carries the player along with it emotionally and it feels more impactful.

It's worth keeping in mind that lightness of touch and humour doesn't mean things will be "goofy". It's doubtful there'll be any "I'm a wabbit" shenanigans in Deadfire, and humour will likely be in the way of sarcastic interjections and the likes opposite to designing characters according to a comedy routine/sketch or something.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 6

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

In PoE the goofiest thing I can remember was the Disappointer. ;)

And that was a backer item

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

"One does not simply romance an orlan" -Eder (chapt. 3)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Goofy and gimmicky no, lighter in tone and the occasionnal humour, yes.

POE was very dark, with a few moments of lightness in the character dialogues.

I expect it will be somewhere between POE and BG2. Nowhere near DOS (which I didn't care for because of the goofiness).

• Like 1

Correct me if I’m wrong but after playing the BETA I get the feeling that deadfire is more goofy and gimmicky and less hardcore dungeons and dragons then the first game.

It appears to not be as dark D&D can get and I have seen things like goofy items and characters, scenery ect.....

One of the reasons I didn’t like Divinity os2 was because of how goofy it was. I hope deadfire is not headed in tha5 direction.

> deadfire is more goofy

Is that a bad thing?  Jan Jansen is one of the goofiest characters in all of CRPG history and yet he's one of the more memorable parts of Baldur's Gate 2, for example.  A bit of goof now and then lightens the tone, and provides variety.

> gimmicky

I don't see how Deadfire is gimmicky.

> less hardcore dungeons and dragons then the first game.

PoE wasn't 'hardcore dungeons and dragons'.

> One of the reasons I didn’t like Divinity os2 was because of how goofy it was

DOS2 significantly toned down the goofiness compared to its predecessor.  It's still a bit goofy though.

Lots of people complained that PoE was excessively grim, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit more humor in Deadfire.

I imagine a large part of being a game designer (or creator of anything) is accepting the reality that you can't please everyone.

Edited by Flow

PoE was never hardcore dungeons and dragons whatsoever. Wasn't the original pitch to make something in a similar style to the infinity engine games but a bit more modern?

They never said it was going to be Tomb of Horrors.

Edited by daven

nowt

Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 are some of the goofiest games I've ever played.

Yeah they had some pretty silly stuff, but in a good way.

Divinity is a bit too nudge nudge wink wink.

Can't remember if Pillars even had an attempts at humour, or they just fell completely flat for me.

Exactly. It’s not even a discussion of quality. Baldur’s Gate as a series is deeply goofy and camp. If people think otherwise then they really need to clean off their nostalgia goggles. Walking around a city with a fairy dragon on my shoulder being followed around by a mentally handicapped man and his ‘space hamster’ while Americans doing hokey ****ney accents scream at me about their skill as a strumpet is hardly the same atmosphere as a read through of The Road. If that’s what is considered ‘dark’ then Deadfire would have to make a pretty drastic tonal shift from the first game to reach goofy and gimmicky.

• Like 5

I just hope they won't take it too far. If they hit the same notes as they did when they did use humor in PoE, I'll be happy. Some of the banter is great. Though yeah, I guess the banter is where most of the humor did come from.

Zahua was a great character I think. He had comic relief but he... well, he wasn't a comic relief character. There was a great and serious story there as well, but also humor. A bit one-note but still quite funny at times.

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I couldn't tell if it's going to be goofy. Maybe we wait till the game is out? I don't mind some humor but i kinda like the settings and the tone of more like in the first Pillars. Nonethless i'm pretty excited for the game. Hoping Obsidian will release more promotional material, interviews, discussions, game features, etc. Throughout the fig campaign.. coverage on the game are really scarce compared to the first PoE on KS.

edér: never knew you could bake zahua, that's some mighty looking cake you got there...can I have some?

zahua: be my guest friend.

edér: hmmm...this is good but there's a hint of something I can't quite get.

zahua: must be the malcachoa.

edér: *spits*

6025422_EFPg_C_v1.png

I like both :p

Some days I may be in a mood for a more serious tone, another day I might get more enjoyment from a care-free rpg.

I'd rather have Pillars' dull humor over crap like Fallout 2 or Divinity Original Sin.

What was wrong with Fallout 2?

Also, on the topic of the tone of PoE in general, I don't think a more lighthearted approach is bad by itself, much like a grimdark atmosphere isn't automatically a positive quality. The way I see it, it's like every other aspect of a game in the sense that it's just a component that needs to be done (or in this case, written) right, and since humor is extremely subjective, it's much easier to get repulsed by a dud.

So, I guess what I'm ultimately trying to say is that as long as it's not full-on poop jokes, I'll be fine with it.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

D&D can get dark? That's news to me. Unless you count demons and undead and magic and goblins as dark.

Eh, I think it depends on the DM and what the group wants a lot.  And some of the settings can tend darker than others.

Ravenloft, with its evil Darklords trapped by their own obsessions and failings, ruling over people who can't escape their grasp is intended to be dark and horror filled.  Even if the adventurers somehow can topple the ever present Darklord of one of the realms, odds are that there will be someone else who'll take their place just as bad or worse. 

Birthright with its political backdrop could also be ripe for exploiting humanities cruelty to one another through infighting and manipulation (one only needs to look at some of the real stories behind people trying to get or keep power and how individuals were crushed or used as pawns to further agendas to see how dark it could be).

Mystara or Forgotten Realms, with their respective emphasis on heroism and adventure probably won't get superdark for more players.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man