Does anyone else get the feeling that deadfire is more goofy and gimmicky then pillars

Correct me if I’m wrong but after playing the BETA I get the feeling that deadfire is more goofy and gimmicky and less hardcore dungeons and dragons then the first game.

It appears to not be as dark D&D can get and I have seen things like goofy items and characters, scenery ect.....

One of the reasons I didn’t like Divinity os2 was because of how goofy it was. I hope deadfire is not headed in tha5 direction.

It’s definitely less dark than the first game, but I don’t recall seeing anything goofy in the beta. Could you provide some examples of stuff that you found goofy?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Correct me if I’m wrong but after playing the BETA I get the feeling that deadfire is more goofy and gimmicky and less hardcore dungeons and dragons then the first game.

It appears to not be as dark D&D can get and I have seen things like goofy items and characters, scenery ect.....

One of the reasons I didn’t like Divinity os2 was because of how goofy it was. I hope deadfire is not headed in tha5 direction.

Before the release of the whole game some people expressed concerns that Pillars of Eternity would not be serious and grim enough. And then Gilded Vale the first town you go to in the game had a Hanging Tree full of corpses.

I wouldn't be concerned if I was you.

• Like 6

I dunno, I didn't see anything particulary goofy in the beta. I think you've seen colorful and bright DOS series that were indeed goofy and because POE2 has similar colorful palette decided to associate it with same goofiness. It's more colorful not because it's less serious but because it's tropical islands now, not continental climate zone with muffled tones.There is plenty dark in the beta too, I've seen an island there where stranded sailors were living in some gruesome ruins and cannibalizing on each other because of lack of food. 

• Like 1

I think adding some more lighter tones to Deadfire won't hurt it, compared to PoE which felt overall very gloomy.

Playing the beta a few times, I never found it goofy however.

• Like 3

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Could you provide some examples of stuff that you found goofy?

It's more likely that for some people it's Irenicus's dungeon for prologue or bust.

Based on the Kickstarter trailer we are going to start after Eothas has utterly destroyed Card Nua and killed most, if not all, of the living beings there by sucking out their souls.

I think we got the grimdark start covered.

• Like 6

Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 are some of the goofiest games I've ever played.

Yeah they had some pretty silly stuff, but in a good way.

Divinity is a bit too nudge nudge wink wink.

Can't remember if Pillars even had an attempts at humour, or they just fell completely flat for me.

nowt

When I look at the Soulbound dagger in the beta I don't expect too much goofyness.

Also there weren't any goofy things in the beta I know of.

In PoE the goofiest thing I can remember was the Disappointer. ;)

But who knows - maybe Eothas is just on his way to becoming a great Stand-up Comedian...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think it may be somewhat lighter. Literally (because of the tropical island color palette) and thematically (just 'cause it's hard to top Soul-less babies in terms of morbidity). But as goofy as Divinity? Surely not. I couldn't stand that game's humour either.

I was worried that Deadfire might loose this grounded and complex atmosphere when moved into a “piratey” setting.

After playing beta I have no worries about it. We have seen little, but it feels like Pillars. I don’t recall anything particularly, though a wider range of emotions will be welcome. Some of the more entertaining and straightforward quests of WM made the darker parts only more impactful. There is still a long long way to the buffoonery of D:OS, and BGs were much closer to it that Deadfire seems to be.

• Like 1

PoE1 felt really depressive sometimes. Soulless children and mad cultists everywhere, the first town greets you with a tree full of hanged people and so on. It is hard to get darker than this.

I do not mind a dark setting. I really liked Vampires: Bloodlines with the impending doom atmosphere. But PoE was not just dark, it felt depressing.

The PoE2 beta felt more normal, in a good way. Some places looked really nice. It was not goofy, it was just not so much depressive as PoE1.

But we have not seen much of the game, especially regarding the main story which is about a giant statue that destroys your home and almost kills you.

by the way: I do not mind completely insane games. The mind reading feature of Divinity 2 ( NOT D:OS2 ) was fantastic, plus some other things in the game like the attack of the power rangers. Undertale, Monkey island, the Edna and Harvey adventures and many other games are also completely nuts and I love them. And I cannot play BG2 without Minsc in my party. He is just great: "Go for the eyes Boo! Butt kicking for goodness!"

But I do not want PoE2 to be full of such crazy stuff.

Edited by Madscientist
  • Like 3

PoE1 felt really depressive sometimes. Soulless children and mad cultists everywhere, the first town greets you with a tree full of hanged people and so on. It is hard to get darker than this.

I do not mind a dark setting. I really liked Vampires: Bloodlines with the impending doom atmosphere. But PoW was not just dark, it felt depressing.

To me, personally, the problem with base PoE was that it was too much one tone. Put to much depressing/violent/shocking content and it uses its value. Same way for humor. Put too much of it, and it stops being funny. The key is to mix those. Prepare a violent scene in a more casual quest. Bring players hopes up, before introducing something really bad. In PoE it’s not that soulless babies were too much, but they were a constant norm, which quickly lost its impact.promise of more varied tone of Deadfire, hopefully will result in a more effective storytelling.

• Like 6

I do not mind a dark setting. I really liked Vampires: Bloodlines with the impending doom atmosphere. But PoW was not just dark, it felt depressing.

To me, personally, the problem with base PoE was that it was too much one tone. Put to much depressing/violent/shocking content and it uses its value. Same way for humor. Put too much of it, and it stops being funny. The key is to mix those. Prepare a violent scene in a more casual quest. Bring players hopes up, before introducing something really bad. In PoE it’s not that soulless babies were too much, but they were a constant norm, which quickly lost its impact.promise of more varied tone of Deadfire, hopefully will result in a more effective storytelling.

A great example is Majora's Mask. Mixes humour and misery perfectly.

• Like 1

nowt

And I cannot play BG2 without Minsc in my party. He is just great: "Go for the eyes Boo! Butt kicking for goodness!"

Have you used Minsc + Lilarcor (the talking sword) combo? It was hilarious. I doubt there will be anybody as good a comic relief as Minsc in POE2, but just so you know there will be a talking weapon. So crazy stuff is not totally out of the picture.

• Like 3

Ocarina of time was the best game for N64.

I never finished majoras mask because you have to replay the same 3 day again and again. I did not know which things reset and which do not so I repeated useless tasks while I forgot importent ones.

Groundhog day was a nice movie, but as main concept for a game it is not so great.

Bloodlines is one of the games with the best atmosphere ever. What did they do to make the game very dark without getting depressive?

It was not extremely googfy too, except when you play as malkavian which you should do at least once.

And I cannot play BG2 without Minsc in my party. He is just great: "Go for the eyes Boo! Butt kicking for goodness!"

Have you used Minsc + Lilarcor (the talking sword) combo? It was hilarious. I doubt there will be anybody as good a comic relief as Minsc in POE2, but just so you know there will be a talking weapon. So crazy stuff is not totally out of the picture.

Yes, Minsc must use Lilarcor. Finally he found someone to talk to who has the same intellectual level as himself ( or the lack thereof ).

• Like 3