Please, Obsidz, bug hunt your save game function hard!

I played PoE1 at realease day and I had to quit after some time. I was a victim of the infinite stat stacking bug. Every time you loaded your game all bonusses from equipment stacked with itself so I had insanely high stats and defensis and no enemy could touch me. This "god mode" was so boring that I quit.

This little passage reminded me that there was plenty of save game bugs from the get-go in PoE1, and quite a few have popped up during the various beta versions, and several of them are still haunting the game, especially in-combat saves and overland map saves.

My suggestion is that you need to put some extra work hours on the save game coding in order to create a saved matrix of game state info as immune to the effects of saving, loading and reloading as humanly possible.

That's all.

I mean, this is the kind of bugs that make people quit the game and even make threads about it, demanding refunds and public attention to Obsidian's alleged bug sloppiness.

• Like 5

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Well, at least they fixed it fast in PoE1.

BG2 still has the bug that regenerating enemies stack their regeneration on reload. I played BGT ( BG1 + BG2 + ToB as one game ) and I saved and loaded a few times on the werewolf island. When I finally met the boss he was fully healed a nanosecond after every hit. This was the only time I had to use a console command ( kill the boss ) to finish a game.

BG1 had another loading bug. When you reload on some maps groups of enemies will respawn. Especially when you killed some but not all enemies of a group before saving and reloading. With some bad luck, the whole map could be crowded with goblins and wolfs. ( maybe they wanted it that way to stop people from pulling enemies one after another and saving before each try. I admit that I did this quite a lot. But I guess it is a bug.)

There are other games with other strange bugs on loading. In PST the hit chance of the main char got worse while playing the game but I do not know why, dying fixed this. It seems to be a very frequent problem in games.

PS: Is there a way to fix those problems in BG1+2 or did the EEs solve this?

• Like 1

the only super game breaking bug i remember in POE1 was the frozen steps (don't remember the name) chant. The problem was not exactly related to the save but rather that the objects generated by the chant were not recycled properly therefore the save file was stuffed with irrelevant entities. The bug was fixed rather quickly however, for a time there even existed a homebrew hotfix.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

the only super game breaking bug i remember in POE1 was the frozen steps (don't remember the name) chant. The problem was not exactly related to the save but rather that the objects generated by the chant were not recycled properly therefore the save file was stuffed with irrelevant entities. The bug was fixed rather quickly however, for a time there even existed a homebrew hotfix.

There was quite a few....

save game file corruption.

Load time getting really long as game progressed

Some buff being permanent on load.

some stats increases from passives not being calculated right on loading (this one still happens sometimes, looking at you "magran priest accuracy bonus to arquebuss)

save/load could make equiped items disapear.

And those are only few I've encountered in around 500hrs in the game over the years. Pretty sure there were more.

So they should make sure to try to polish that. OP is right, this can really anger customers a lot and can hurt game revenues, which would be unfortunate.

Edited by Farsha

Regarding obsidian and saving problems, I just remember another annoying bug.

When playing FA:NV the save file got bigger and bigger as you play and at some point the game would freeze if you save or load or enter a new map ( because auto save ).

I downloaded a file that is supposed to fix this, but it does not work.

In order to play without problems you have to start a new game every now and then, create a new ( small ) save, then load your old game and overwrite the new save file to continue with a smaller save file.

I got the complete edition from steam, so its not just a release problem.

Sorry, its some time since I played it and I am not 100% sure about the details, but you had to start a new game sometimes to prevent the old game from freezing.

• Like 1